What's new

other peoples weddings - vent

Hubby and I have a flat outright we dont accept wedding invites policy

The whole thing is way outta hand.

1. Engagement Party ($ for the ring :lol:)
2. Wedding Shower
3. Bachelorette Party
4. Wedding
5. House warming party
6. Baby Shower
7. Birth/bringing them home (some people actually expect gifts when they send out the announcement!)
8. Christening/baptism
9. Christmas in between

An ex co-worker had all of this in 1 year. 1 year!

The whole thing is way outta hand.

1. Engagement Party ($ for the ring :lol:)
2. Wedding Shower
3. Bachelorette Party
4. Wedding
5. House warming party
6. Baby Shower
7. Birth/bringing them home (some people actually expect gifts when they send out the announcement!)
8. Christening/baptism
9. Christmas in between

An ex co-worker had all of this in 1 year. 1 year!

Yeah been there and had em all but like I said if I had it to do all over again......I would've skipped much of it and changed a lot about the rest.

As far as the birth and going and seeing the baby for the first time, it's the norm around here to bring a gift and when I had my boys everyone that came to see them brought gifts (yes same people who also brought gifts at the showers) lol. Keep in mind they're all Italian who like to shower with gifts and money (or both).
I never expected it mind you because that's not how things were done when I was growing up somehwere else.

Yep Italian. BUT....now others do the same thing and expect you to send it if you aren't in the area to even see the baby.

weddings & baby showers...it never stops! I've also started getting invitations to 2nd child baby showers and 1st birthday parties.

weddings & baby showers...it never stops! I've also started getting invitations to 2nd child baby showers and 1st birthday parties.

So, what is acceptable for a baby shower? How many should someone have? I would swear everyone has one for each child. :ranting:

I thought it was supposed to be for the first child only. That is to get the basics and the furniture that can be used for other kids when they come.

That was always my thought too, for the first child only. But I would swear people are having them for each child.

Invited to a baby shower soon. They want me to bring a dish too. Ummm, I've never been to a shower where I was expected to bring food too.

Yep, people are having it for each kid.

You decided to have another kid, pay for the crap yourself. :lol:

I didn't have a wedding, just a civil ceremony, and my brother had a small wedding with immediate family only, my sisters and brother are still singles, but my parents still get invited to numerous weddings i.e. 3-4/week during "peak" period!
My parents live in a small town in Malaysia, they spend more money attending weddings and funerals than on themselves!

Yep, people are having it for each kid.

You decided to have another kid, pay for the crap yourself. :lol:

I think if you're having one after another, rapid fire, 2 to 3 years apart - yeah, one shower.

However, if you have a 4 to 5 year old, and your second baby comes, and it's a completely different gender than the first...you should get at least a small shower.

And even if it's not a "shower" per se, every baby deserves to be celebrated because every new life is a gift. That's why people bring presents when they come to meet the baby. It's their way of celebrating. I don't have a problem with that - I LOVE buying baby stuff (it's so darn cute!) and I love my friends' and family's babies having something special that I picked out for them. Little Dorothy came over to my house a few weeks ago with the outfit that I bought her on - I loved seeing it on her!

I think if you're having one after another, rapid fire, 2 to 3 years apart - yeah, one shower.

However, if you have a 4 to 5 year old, and your second baby comes, and it's a completely different gender than the first...you should get at least a small shower.

And even if it's not a "shower" per se, every baby deserves to be celebrated because every new life is a gift. That's why people bring presents when they come to meet the baby. It's their way of celebrating. I don't have a problem with that - I LOVE buying baby stuff (it's so darn cute!) and I love my friends' and family's babies having something special that I picked out for them. Little Dorothy came over to my house a few weeks ago with the outfit that I bought her on - I loved seeing it on her!

I need to take a picture of her in the purple one. That is such a great color on her. I may look for a shirt in that color after seeing it on her.

I wanted you to see it on her, plus she is such a chunk that she is starting to get ahead of the clothing sizes. At her 4 month check up she was 16 lbs.

Loopy is getting a second baby shower...but we're not inviting random strangers and putting flyers on telephone poles in hopes of getting her free stuff...

it'll just be us and her inlaws!

I need to take a picture of her in the purple one. That is such a great color on her. I may look for a shirt in that color after seeing it on her.

I wanted you to see it on her, plus she is such a chunk that she is starting to get ahead of the clothing sizes. At her 4 month check up she was 16 lbs.

I was trying to avoid the "it's a girl so everything is PINK!!!" thing by going with purple. I hate how for babies all girl stuff is pink and all boy stuff is blue. I got Moose some pink cloth diapers when he was small, just to buck the trend. Of course nowadays he mostly wears earth tones, greens and browns, because that looks best with his coloring. And Mr. wears a lot of blue, but I love it on him because the right blue really makes his eyes pop.

Loopy is getting a second baby shower...but we're not inviting random strangers and putting flyers on telephone poles in hopes of getting her free stuff...

it'll just be us and her inlaws!

No, that's what it should be. I mean by shower - inviting everyone.

I've got 2 weddings in May. They are 2 weekends in a row. Both receptions at the same place. One is a cashier at CVS which I know just by going into the store. The next is my hairdressers daughter. I really don't want to go to either, but what excuse do I use?

Hairdresser's daughter?

Wow that's a stretch.

No, that's what it should be. I mean by shower - inviting everyone.

I expect everyone from CW to attend....or send diaper coups! LOL

I had two full blown showers... although my kids ARE 10 years apart sooo..... I believe that is OK! :lol:

Back