What's new

PC Upgrade recommendations

Well, that Geforce card is in there and running. I have my nice, new 30 GB 72000 RPM drive. I even was able to OC my processor to 560 MHz, and I am still running without ISA cards and also with 192 MB o' RAM. My PC is actually pretty zippy, now, thanks to y'all's advice! Thanks!
supergrin.gif
I guess any future upgrade will involve getting up to 256 MB o' RAM.

You probably won't notice much of a difference between 192MB and 256MB. The difference between 128 and 192 is much more pronounced.
Put the money into something besides RAM. You should be more than fine with 192MB.

----------------------------
spidergoolash: "heh, a cup of diesel dan - mwahhha"
me: "heh, a cup of me is like a cup of heaven!"

Well, with my AMD box starting to die, the money may go for an el cheapo computer or a bare bones system to get myself back with a reliable scanning/burning PC.

Now why are you gonna go and do something like that?
You just went and spent all of this money to buy quality parts for this machine, and you're gonna turn around and skimp and put together a machine out of crappy parts.
It is possible to build a computer out of quality parts for not a lot of money. Even spending a little more on decent quality components will save you a ton of headaches down the road.

Have we taught you nothing?!?
smile.gif

Dan, If money wasn't an issue, I'd have a P3-1GHz with 512 MB o' RAM, a 40 GB Ultra Wide SCSI drive, SCSI DVD-ROM and CD-RW, a GeForce 2 Ultra, a 21 inch Sony monitor, Sound Blaster Live - Platinum, tower case, USB mouse and keyboard, and a partridge in a pear tree!
supergrin.gif
But, we can only dream.

There is a way I can troubleshoot this old PC. I think the 3 year old WD HDD is going kapoot on me. If so, I can slap a newer HDD in its place and let it go to work....no money involved since I have one ready to go. But if not....yeah...new PC. But something more low end. It doesn't have to play the latest 3D games. Just burn CD's and scan pics.
supergrin.gif

Easy problem to fix. It was a bad mouse. Mouse was showing up half of the time and not the other. Then within a few minutes, the clicking noises began. So it was bye bye for mousie!
lol.gif

Thanks for giving me the perfect opportunity to demonstrate why you should always go with name-brand quality parts when you have the opportunity.

Say you try to put a brand new hard drive into that 3 year old machine. You probably have to deal with the fact that a BIOS that old has a limitation of 8.4GB, and the full capacity of that new drive won't be recognized, and therefore won't be accessible.
Now, this is an easily fixable situation. You could just go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the latest flash BIOS, flash the BIOS to the newest version, complete with large drive support, and you're off an running.
It's easy if you know who the manufacturer of your motherboard is, since most of the big names continue to support and release new BIOS updates for even their outdated boards.
Good luck finding a barebones system with a motherboard from a name that's known enough that they can afford to continue to support a 3 year old board, much less develop new BIOS updates for it.

Now, if you have, say, an Asus or Abit or Tyan Socket 7 board (probably about what was new 3 years ago), I'd bet dollars to donuts that you'd be able to find BIOS updates for their Socket 7 boards on their web site. They may not be a month old, but I'd be sure they'd at least be new enough to support large drives.
Now, say you bought a barebones system from, say, TigerDirect, where you'd save a lot of money while they packed that generic POS case with generic POS components. Doubtful you'd get much in the way of BIOS updates from TigerDirect. You might get lucky enough to find out who manufactured the motherboard in it, but I'd be it'd be from some small Tiawanese company that doesn't even have a website in English.

It may seem like you're saving money, but in the long run, you're really not.

Actually, the board I bought for that 3 year old machine, back in the day, was a Matsonic 6260s, and it was to replace a dead mobo on a P200MMX machine. I was rather impressed with it. That P200 gave me a nice overclock to 225 without any sweat. It wouldn't dance at 250, so I just lived with it. It was kind of funny that the K6-2 400 wasn't that much better than the oc'd 200...it was only a little better. The mmx line of processors were actually top notch. Now, the Matsonic was not the best board, but when you're in college and don't have a lot of money, if was perfect. They actually do have a site to get the BIOS updates for that board, but since I just want to keep that old machine as a burner/scanner machine, it doesn't even need upgrading. It just has to hum along at it's 400 MHz. As long as it works, I'm happy. I suppose when it dies, it will be time to build a brand spanking new PC with nice parts. Something that will give a good 2 years of performance for me.

Back