What's new

picasa!

monsieurjohn

Peak Forum Legend
PF Member
Reaction score
i downloaded google's image management softare, picasa, today. MAN this program rocks. any and every feature i could imagine is included and is easy to use. first google, then google news, then froogle, then gmail, then google desktop search (slightly less so there), and now picasa, i swear if google ever released an operating system i'd drool all over it.

i've been using this for about a year and don't know what i would do without it. absolutely love it! it's got the easiest and most useful bunch of features i've ever seen.

oh holy crap, they just made it 100 times better! now it has integrated web album capabilities, and i like google's new web album about 1000 times better than flickr!

:drool:

oh holy crap, they just made it 100 times better! now it has integrated web album capabilities, and i like google's new web album about 1000 times better than flickr!

:drool:

i noticed that when i downloaded the upgrade. i'll have to look into it. another great feature. yes, i'm hooked.

I'm on the fence about Google's web album in comparison to Picasa. I realize they're still updating the web albums, but Flickr still has a HUGE advantage in the community aspect. If you take part in the Flickr community, there's a lot of benefit there, especially for aspiring photographers in the way of feedback and advice.

The other advantage Flickr has is that you can pretty easily get a lot of eyes on your pictures that you can't get from other galleries.

Google's web albums has some nice features so far, but I wouldn't say it's quite up to par with Flickr just yet.

fair enough. I really just began exploring flickr, but my only hope for an online web album is sending pictures home and to friends, really -- and the new google one is really good for that. it also streamlines the upload process for me quite a bit.

Yeah, for what you've stated, Flickr is somewhat overkill.

For me, the attraction is the community aspect, and getting people outside my friends and family to look at my photos and give me feedback.

So far, Picasa Web Albums isn't anywhere close to Flickr in those regards.

Picasa is amazing. I don't remember what I did without it. I used to use MGI PhotoSuite. Then I gave up on it.

I've been using flickr for a month or so now, and for the price ($25/year), it's well worth it. I was weary at first about all the photos being dumped into one large bin, but the sets take care of that, and the pictures aren't limited to one set either. Assuming you pay and get to use more than three of them. Collections are nice to segregate all of the sets as well. The calendar view is a huge plus for me, since is takes the date from the camera EXIF tags and arranges the pictures as you take them. I had to manually set the date on my older pictures since my original Kodak camera from 1999 or whenever didn't support that. I've had a lot of fun geotagging the pictures I've taken by putting them on the map. You can then see others by browsing the public map. Add that to slideshows and a good comment system, it's what I think I will stick with.

Back