What's new

PROM- (help)

I think a limo is the norm these days.usually a group of kids gets one together..our prom includes dinner

I think a limo is the norm these days.usually a group of kids gets one together..our prom includes dinner

Around here, kids are not allowed to drive themselves to prom...they either rent a limo on their own or ride on a party bus (usually part of the package along with dinner & after-prom lock-in)...

My prom dress in 1965 cost $35, and I had to promise never to tell my dad what it cost...Mom & I took the El downtown to buy it @ Charles A. Stevens...The prom was in the Proviso West gym, and afterward we went to Magnum's Chateau...I still have the menu...Shrimp ****tail was .95/the "Prom Special" filet mignon was $5.95...the next day we went to the Indiana Dunes for an all day picnic...(our prom was in late May)...

Lisa your dd can also get a plainer dress and have a seamstress sparkle it up. I hope she gets to go. I believe every girl should and I wish there was a way to pair kids up at our school so everyone could go.

I wish there was a way to pair kids up at our school so everyone could go.

Our HS sort of did that...if you didn't have a date (required back then), you signed up, and the counselors would put people in touch with each other...I know of two couples who are still together 48 years later...we had a class of 896, so it was almost impossible to know everyone...

Carol--she will go I have no doubt--I am just hoping she is genuinly ask--lol so that I dont have to cover 100% of the cost :)

our prom package cover after prom
so you take a limo downtown to the prom -then at midnight you get bused to a evening cruise after party with lots of food and dancing--then back to school at 4 am.

Lisa, we have a 56 Bel Air you can borrow...black and white....DS used it for prom and was happy with it over a limo...

http://www.peachesboutique.com/
Have you heard of this store?? Someone recommended to a friend when they were looking for a formal dress. I've never been.

LOL that is where she showed me a picture of her dress from 498$ ( not the store she wants to get it from..but same price)

thanks swale :)
--I have no clue whoo her date will be :) and they just use the car to be driven downtown one way-but i will keep that in mind

Her Uncle-my dh's brother has 2 antique cars one is a 1950 something ish--lol ( they drove my inlaws around for their 50th anniversary in it )
BUT i saw pics of your dh's in prom pics youposted--his looks nicer then my BIL's-his isnt done being restored--his 1970-ish car is finished--not this one

Well don't leave us hanging then...which dress is it? :bee:

I always wanted to go to a prom. We had a junior/senior banquet. Juniors are the servers, Seniors attend the banquet. You dressed up fancy and brought your parents. Wahoo! You also had to bring your dress in ahead of time to have it approved. Make sure the hemline and the neckline weren't out of dress code.

It totally sucked ****.

Last year I said something to her when we couldn't find anything in her size "see..I told you that it is no fun looking for dresses when you are over weight.." ( only because she refuses to admit she has issues..) yeah that went over well..

Ouch. My mom said stuff like that to me when I was an overweight teen and it was crushing. Looking for dresses CAN be fun when you're overweight if you go at it with the right attitude. Speaking from experience, nothing hurts more than thinking your mom doesn't like the way you look. :frown:

I have friends with plus size daughters that have had great luck at Sydney's Closet online. I just checked the website and there's a way you can look for authorized retailers in the area if she (understandably) wants to try the dresses on first.

(and sorry if this comment seems out of line from someone that rarely posts and doesn't know you, but the 16 year old fat girl in me had to say something) :redface:

It will sound crazy...but FABULOUS dresses can be found at nicer resale shops. The (worn once!) gowns go on consigment so they can get something back on THEIR pricey investment.

She can get just as much dress for WAY WAY less money!

Ouch. My mom said stuff like that to me when I was an overweight teen and it was crushing. Looking for dresses CAN be fun when you're overweight if you go at it with the right attitude. Speaking from experience, nothing hurts more than thinking your mom doesn't like the way you look. :frown:

I have friends with plus size daughters that have had great luck at Sydney's Closet online. I just checked the website and there's a way you can look for authorized retailers in the area if she (understandably) wants to try the dresses on first.

(and sorry if this comment seems out of line from someone that rarely posts and doesn't know you, but the 16 year old fat girl in me had to say something) :redface:

It's okay I was an overweight teenager and I know how depressing it was--just wanted better for her ( she is NOT that large--just wont fit in a standard Jr dressy-dress size)

Its not that she couldn't find a dress at all --but when you are 18 looking through pages and pages of prom dresses you get your heart set on one thing.....and like I said it was after ONE day ONE store--LOL

I googled around and see people finding dresses on craigslist too

I saw your name and thought "wait! Knufflebunny posted!?!?!" LOL.

You are HERE frequently! Just not chatty.:flowers::flowers:
I am glad you jumped in somewhere!:cartwheel::cartwheel:

There is a place in downtown St.Charles called Claudia's. I have bought both my daughter's beautiful dresses there. It is a resale shop, but they do have top quality dresses.

I am suggesting what several others have - bridal shops and craigslist. I paid $20.00 for my prom dress (too many years ago mention) on clearance at a local neighborhood bridal shop. It did not need any alterations and I wound up wearing it not only for my BF's senior prom but my senior prom as well (different high schools).

My DD's dress was from Peaches. That place is NUTS. One nice thing, though, is they don't let two people from the same school buy the same dress, so you don't have to worry about anyone else having your dress. :lol:

DD wanted that one specific dress for a year. One day she texted me from class that the girl next to her was showing another girl a picture of HER dress & getting it from Peaches that afternoon. I told DD to go to the nurse immediately...I picked her up & off we went. :snort:

Prom_zps4716e665-1_zps589d7513.jpg

Back