What's new

PS2 VS. X-Box

Evan

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Ok I have some cash lying around and Want to buy a new system!! Which should I buy a PS2 or a X-Box?? Some info on why I should buy that consol would be appreciated!!

Go with a PS2. Not only does it have the better games of the two on it already, but it's E3 lineup kicked the pants off of anything Microsoft had to offer. Really, aside from Halo 2 and Fable, Xbox is completely void of any fresh killer-apps coming to it... and screw the fact that it's more powerful, that means nothing when it comes to games.

Besides, who wants to support the evil empire M$? ;)

I dont know,as of right now,Im having more fun with my PS2 than my Xbox.

That'll change over a matter of time with Fable,Ninja Gaiden,Half-LIfe 2,SW:KOTOR,Halo 2, and Otogi: Myth of Demons.

Each of those games have very high speculations(may I add it has more of my interest than PS2 does as of right now in the future),and I'll know that I'll be buying most of those games.

Like Tybo said,PS2 does have a great selection of games on the other hand

PS2 is vastly superior to Xbox. More games, better games, greater variety of games, and a better controller to play them on. Just take a look at this killer lineup:

- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
- Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Jak II
- Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
- Gran Turismo 4
- Grand Theft Auto 4
- Onimusha 3
- SOCOM 2
- Silent Hill 3

Unless you're obsessed with FPS, Xbox will probably disappoint you. And if you have a decent PC, you're pretty much all set.

PS2. There's no reason at all to buy X-Box (looks to horizon for Adam's impending copy and paste of the Gamestop release date list)

Evan, posting this on the PS2 board it bound to get you biased results :rolleyes:

But I agree with these guys...the PS2 has much more going for it.
Not only that, but think to the future...if you buy a PS3 in the years to come, and you can play PS2 games on it (which I hope you'll be able to) then you won't have wasted your money buying games that you'll never play again.

Get a PS2 NOW. Only if it's for one game, you'll just have to wait for Gran Turismo 4, in the mean time play GT3, then when GT4 comes out...when it comes out...:D ***faints to the floor with mouth open and drool coming out***

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
Get a PS2 NOW. Only if it's for one game, you'll just have to wait for Gran Turismo 4, in the mean time play GT3, then when GT4 comes out...when it comes out...:D ***faints to the floor with mouth open and drool coming out***

You know, being a Gaming XS staffer and all in the PS2 section you'll have pretty exclusive access to info and media on Gran Tourismo 4 that's not directly available to the public straight from Polyphony Digital and Sony themselves. But I'm sure that doesn't tickle your fancy. :cheers:

Ok PS2 it is!!! I am going to buy the system, 4 controllers, the adapter, the network adapter, GT3, GTA3, GTA: vice city.

Originally posted by Evan
Ok PS2 it is!!! I am going to buy the system, 4 controllers, the adapter, the network adapter, GT3, GTA3, GTA: vice city.

you must have had a hell of a lot of cash lying around

Holy **** you people are morons. The PS2 is OBSOLETE. It's a piece of **** not worth being placed next to other electronics. The controller is cramptastic, the graphics and audio are a generation behind, you have to buy a whole bunch of extra **** to make the console even with Xbox (multitap, memory cards, network adapter, etc.). The PS2 has better games? Bullshit. All it has is a bunch of ****ty RPGs. Whoopdie-friggin-do. On the other hand, Xbox has:

- Halo (of course)
- Dead or Alive 3
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- RalliSport Challenge
- Project Gotham Racing
- Deathrow
- Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War
- Brute Force
- Midtown Madness 3
- MechAssault
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Gunvalkyrie
- Jet Set Radio Future
- SegaGT 2002
- House of the Dead 3
- MotoGP
- MotoGP 2
- Unreal Championship
- Outlaw Volleyball
- Shenmue II
- Steel Battalion
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Apex
- Crimson Sea
- Serious Sam
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

That list alone should be enough for a fan of practically any genre. In terms of games coming out in the future, the Xbox absolutely murders the two other consoles.

- Halo 2
- DOOM III
- Half-Life 2
- Deus Ex: Invisible War
- Counter-Strike
- Fable
- B.C.
- Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
- Project Gotham Racing 2
- RalliSport Challenge 2
- Armed & Dangerous
- Ninja Gaiden
- Dead or Alive: Online
- Dead or Alive: Code Cronus
- Unreal II
- True Fantasy Live Online
- Vice City
- The Last Ninja
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
- Otogi: Myth of Demons
- SegaGT Online
- WWE RAW 2
- Kameo
- Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
- Thousand Land
- Silent Scope Complete
- Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix
- Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
- Breakdown
- Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
- Dungeons and Dragons: Heroes
- Thief III
- Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition
- Sudeki
- Voodoo Vince
- Virtua Cop 3
- OutRun 2
- SpikeOut X-treme
- Breed
- Far Cry
- Advent Rising
- Full Spectrum Warrior
- Oddworld 4
- Conker: Live & Uncut
- Men of Valor: Vietnam
- Psychonauts
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- Abducted
- Painkiller

Not the mention the fact that the Xbox is the ONLY system to have Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and the best graphics out of any console available on the market today. How I love the fact that I do not need memory cards thanks to the built-in harddrive, and the fact that every single online game has voice chat - as opposed to just sitting there watching. Xbox Live absolutely blows away what the PS2 (should I even include the GCN for online discussions?) has to offer. Xbox Live v2.0 shall be coming out soon, as well the XSN Sports Network. Thanks to the harddrive and online capabilities, new characters, missions, maps, weapons, etc. can also be downloaded for single- and multi-player games, extending the replayability for games an incredible ammount. Sure you have to buy a DVD remote to watch DVD movies, but after using the remote, I am glad I have it as opposed to using the controller.

The Xbox is the console of the past (November 15th 2001 - now, mind you), present, and future of gaming. It simply wipes the floor with the compeition. And yes, it is a large system, but that should only matter if you're a pansy; like Adrian.

Oh, and how can I forget the $10 billion dollars Microsoft is looking to get rid of?

Originally posted by Phantagram

- Halo (of course)
- Dead or Alive 3
- RalliSport Challenge
- Project Gotham Racing
- Deathrow
- Brute Force
- Midtown Madness 3
- MechAssault
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Gunvalkyrie
- Jet Set Radio Future
- SegaGT 2002
- House of the Dead 3
- MotoGP
- MotoGP 2
- Unreal Championship
- Outlaw Volleyball
- Shenmue II
- Steel Battalion
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Apex
- Crimson Sea
- Serious Sam
- Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

Games Also on PC and Other Current-gen Consoles (GC, PS2)

- MotoGP 2
- Rallisport Challenge

Of the Remaining, Games scoring at or above an Avg. Ratio of 85%

- Halo
- Dead or Alive 3
- Project Gotham Racing
- MechAssault
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Jet Set Radio Future
- MotoGP
- Outlaw Volleyball
- Steel Battalion

Of the Remaining, Games scoring at or above an Avg. Ratio of 90%

- Halo
- Panzer Dragoon Orta

Games that are scheduled for PC in the near future

-Halo
-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

That Leaves...

Panzer Dragoon Orta barely making it in at 90%

On the Other Hand...

GameCube Games above 85% NOT on any current-gen console or PC

- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
- Metroid Prime
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Resident Evil
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
- Ikaruga
- Super Monkey Ball 2
- Super Monkey Ball
- Skies of Arcadia Legends
- Pikmin
- Animal Crossing
- Eternal Darkness
- Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2

GameCube Games above 90% NOT on any current-gen console or PC

- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
- Metroid Prime
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Resident Evil
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Ocarina of Time/Master Quest

Playstation 2...I'm not even gonna bother...62 games at or above 85% and 22 games at or above 90%...and plenty of exclusives too.

Now stop living in your fantasy world where Xbox is actually decent. You have to face the fact that it has everything but what it is supposed to have - great, exclusive games that at least together are worth the price of the system. Nintendo and Sony will always dominate the video game hardware market, just as they're doing now.

Other games scoring above 90%, non-exclusive:

- Soul Calibur II
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
- NFL 2K3
- World Series Baseball 2K3

It's pretty sad when you include DC ports (Ikargua, Skies of Arcadia), an N64 port(s) (bonus disc) and a remake of a PSX game (Resident Evil).

You seem to be living in the fantasy world, kid. The Xbox has the best verison of multiplatform games about 9/10 times, and I see you didn't even touch my argument about features of the system or future games. For some reason, that does not shock me. Let me know when you actually have an argument, okay?

Ok girls, you have both proven points in there somewhere. Phantagram has shown that the XBox is technically the most advanced console and has the best online presence and Nintendo Spirit has shown that while all that is true, the XBox lacks exclusive titles, but it still has plenty of good games in a variety of genres.

Also shown is that the Gamecube and PS2 both have a wealth of exclusive quality titles and both have those consoles have their strong points hardware wise as well.

The thing is, you can all sit here and debate which console is the best, but you will never agree. Where there are consoles there will be fanboys, however strong or minor they are. Each console has it's strengths are weaknesses, it's up to each and every one of us to study each and decide for ourselves which one best suits our wants and needs.

You know, being a Gaming XS staffer and all in the PS2 section you'll have pretty exclusive access to info and media on Gran Tourismo 4 that's not directly available to the public straight from Polyphony Digital and Sony themselves. But I'm sure that doesn't tickle your fancy.

How did I miss this post!? :eek: I can't wait to see some of this exclusive GT4 stuff...:D :D

The thing is, you can all sit here and debate which console is the best, but you will never agree. Where there are consoles there will be fanboys, however strong or minor they are. Each console has it's strengths are weaknesses, it's up to each and every one of us to study each and decide for ourselves which one best suits our wants and needs.

As the old saying goes, let's "Agree to disagree." ;)

Back