What's new

Pulled pork came out waaaay too sweet-Any fixes?

sxj999780

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I'm not much of a cook, but out of necessity I am learning. I just made some pulled pork in the crockpot. I was really happy, because it was the first recipe I slow cooked that didn't turn out like brown or beige mush. After I separated the pork, I added bottled barbeque sauce. It is sooooo sweet I can't stand it. Is there something I can add to it to salvage it? If someone out there can offer a suggestion, I would really appreciate it (it looked really good before I ruined it). Thank you in advance!

What sauce did you use? Could the pork have been marinated? If you are in my neck of the woods I would be more than happy to come over and taste test.

Try to mix in just a bit (like a tablespoon) of apple cider vinegar. The flavor should balance out the sweetness.

Take that pork and put the whole mess into a strainer to get the loose sauce off.

Then you need acid to balance the sweetness. Cider vinegar if you have it, white vinegar will also work. NOT BALSAMIC.

And add some heat. Cayenne, chili powder, even some chili seasoning if you have packets. Cumin will add a smoky flavor but you need a little heat, too.

Add vinegar by the CAPFUL only, dry spice by the TEASPOON only, and taste often until better balanced.

Ha! Soben, I was posting at the same time! :highfive:

And SJX I would be happy to help with ideas & cooking tips, PM me anytime! We cook most all of our meals at home, eating out is a rare occurrence.

Take that pork and put the whole mess into a strainer to get the loose sauce off.

Then you need acid to balance the sweetness. Cider vinegar if you have it, white vinegar will also work. NOT BALSAMIC.

And add some heat. Cayenne, chili powder, even some chili seasoning if you have packets. Cumin will add a smoky flavor but you need a little heat, too.

Add vinegar by the CAPFUL only, dry spice by the TEASPOON only, and taste often until better balanced.

See now, Fiya would say use it by the gallon! :snicker:

I'm on the north side of the city, and while I appreciate your offer, trust me this is not worth coming out into the cold for even if it turned out you lived next door:lol:. I cooked a plain old pork shoulder roast, and the culprit is definately the BBQ sauce. I just used what I had: Sweet Baby Ray's (I guess Ray wasn't messing around when he named his sauce!). Before I start adding "salty" ingredients willy-nilly (mustard? soy sauce?), I thought I'd seek some expert advice (since I have 3lbs of the stuff now). Thanks for taking the time to answer. CWers ROCK!

Oh wow-I was answering the first post, and by the time I finished typing, there were so many more posts and tips! Thank you ALL!

And SJX I would be happy to help with ideas & cooking tips, PM me anytime! We cook most all of our meals at home, eating out is a rare occurrence.

I may take you up on that-thank you! In the meantime, I'm going to experiment with the vinegar and heat.

:what she said: rinse if you have to.
I always cook mine w/out the bbq sauce, then after I shred, add to taste.

Back