What's new

Question about TV Video Connection

Harryoke

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I always connect my monitor via an S-video to RCA cable. What if the laptop has no S-video connection, just a VGA output? Is there a simple solution...would one of those cheap adapters work, or do you have to have something more substantial? Thanks!

It's pretty easy to downscale from VGA (RGBHV) to RCA (Y). We have some "commercial" adaptors that would do the trick, but there are probably some cheaper ones out there too.

Ben

Harryoke said:
Gotcha, so an adapter, such as this (for illustration only http://www.buy.com/prod/vga-to-tv-c...r/q/listingid/46669438/loc/101/211191687.html) absolutely will NOT work, must use a robust powered converter?

Check the notes at the bottom, "CAUTION: Only works with VGA cards that have TV-Out functionality through the VGA connector. Check your Video Card manual to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out capability."

That device doesn't actually "convert" anything from what I am reading, it is merely allowing you to access built in TV output ability if your laptop offers it. The powered device is converting the scan rate and "squishing" RGBHV down to Y video.

Ben

I have a cheap Chineese VGA to S or Composite video with a VGA passthrough and is powered off the computer's usb port... that I got off ebay for around $50.00 that works just fine... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5265734&CatId=467

Advert (sp?) has a box that's around $80 bucks that works well and is powered off a wall-wart if you prefer.... a friend of mine uses a box similar to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...100004&cm_re=vga_to_tv-_-14-100-004-_-Product

Now if you really want to go whole hog and have higher quality video while still connecting to a non-VGA equiped or HDMI type connection try this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4272281&CatId=1427

That simple cable-only adapter you posted will work as long as your VGA output can be configured to properly output the sync signal.

S-video, composite, and RGB (YPbPr) all transmit sync information on one of the color channels (typically green). Your VGA output is RGB but hadles the sync information separately with additional horizotal and vertical sync channels (commonly represnted by a breakout to 5 BNC comnectors as: RBGHV)

If your video card allows you to set your oputput to sync on one of the color signals (often green) the you can use the cable solution as posted in your link. This works because the amount of red and blue in a signal is always a fixed proportion relative to the green. Therefore, if the luminance (green) is known - the other two colors can be mathematically interpreted by the receiving device, allowing you a working solution to get your RGsB information to CV or Y/C device.

There are a handful of different RGB types signals the difference in all of them neingthe manner in which the sync information is handled.

Plan B, if you just use a computer monitor for your lyric display, if you configure the lappy for 2 monitors and just plug the VGA cable from the monitor, will that work?

Harryoke said:
Plan B, if you just use a computer monitor for your lyric display, if you configure the lappy for 2 monitors and just plug the VGA cable from the monitor, will that work?

Yes unless you need to get the signal to other more conventional TVs.....

A cheap computer monitor will work just fine vga to vga.

Looks like everyone is abandoning S-video now that I have embraced that as my standard.

Currently, I run S-video to my A-B switch, rca from my analog player to my a-b switch. The I run rca from the a/b switch to the TV.

Now, if I get a new laptop, and either use HDMI or VGA with a monitor, how do I get my analog player to play on that?

If I buy a cheap flat screen tv, I imagine I can possibly go HDMI from the PC, and run the RCA to an aux input.

Man this is getting complicated. Thoughts??

Harryoke said:
That looks great Chip...do you use this actual piece, or is this a blind suggestion of what will get the job done?

I have a friend that uses one... and has for years. In my system, I go from s-video out of the computer to a $3.00 adapter that changes it to composite (RCA) then split the signal to run several tv's at the same time.

c. staley said:
I have a friend that uses one... and has for years. In my system, I go from s-video out of the computer to a $3.00 adapter that changes it to composite (RCA) then split the signal to run several tv's at the same time.

Similar to what I do...in lieu of the adapter, I stocked up on s-video to rca cables from Cable Wholesale. Someone had posted this link earlier, what do you think, compared to the unit you posted: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

c. staley said:
Looks the same... the Grandtec uses a direct USB cable for power, no wall-wart and I see that the above uses a 5v power supply (same voltage as USB, but is it?)

Yeah, just researched it and it too is USB powered. I think I will order one of these Sewell ones. A couple of bucks cheaper at Mono Price, but I have a feeling the customer service at Sewell is morebestis. I appreciate their youtube video as well.

Back