What's new

Quiet HD

aznfudge84

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I hear that Western Digital provides great silent, efficient, and reasonably fast HDs. I'm looking for a 5400rpm HD around 120 because my current 60gb is about 80% filled up. I think that might be a reason for slight lag time. Any suggestions on brands, best prices for size capability, and stores that sell for good prices? thanks.

Hey anz go with a seagate baracooda, new eggs got 80 gig satas for like 90

what ever you do get 7200, its only like 10 bucks more

WD's are not quiet. They are some of the loudest harddrives around.

Seagate Barracuda's are quiet. Maxtor's are quiet in idle and slightly noisy during use but i hear the new fluid bearings are much quieter then what my maxtor currently has.

i find maxtors quite loud acually, i have two, but none in my computer, i have a maxtor in my server and the stock heatsink is louder than the harddrive so i can't notice it anyways lol, i don't really care how loud my harddrives are becuase i performance cool almost everything i have and the fans are louder :)

Yes i'm with xeno on what he said about 7200rpm and fans beeing louder. I suggest you look at your local papers on weekends in best buy and comp. usa and try to nail a deal. 120's go for about 60-100 most of the time. I got my wd 7200rpm 175gb for $100 just have to wait and be pacient. I'm a fan of western digital also.

Another vote for Western Digital. They have great prices, great performance and they're quiet. Quieter than Maxtors, in my opinion.

I've seen Best Buy ads and they have WD 120GB 8MB cache drives for only $80 after rebates! Also seen the 80GB 8MB cache ones for $60.

yo, i have a seagate 80gig that i got for 60 after rebates and it p4wnz soo quiet and fast access!!!

Maxtors are loud. I have a 160GB ultra series (8MB cache,) and when it's working, you can definitly hear it. This is when my fans are turned down (almost silent). I don't know if it uses the fluid bearing, but I think it does. I personally don't mind the noise, and it's pretty fast. The noise really wouldn't matter unless its a HTPC

If your motherboard supports it (and you want to spend a little extra) you should consider an SATA drive.

I found someone offering a WD 160gb for $120
or WD 80gb for $50
Should i go for it?
If i do go for it, I'd prolly get 2 WD 80gb, what do you guys think?

He says I can find better offers at www.ableshoppers.com
but i don't want to go through the hassle of getting coupons and rebates and all that stuff...

hmm WD must have changed their bearings last one i heard was rather loud. then again i'm a quiet freak.

yea, get seagate! I got 120GB SATA...i can't really hear it at all untill I access it a lot... =)

Check out www.hotdlz.com which usually has a lot of good offers on hard drives (and it tells you the price/gigabyte). Whatever you get, don't get 5400RPM. You don't really save much money, and it'll be slower.

Back