What's new

Quinn give $10,000 to striking Catepillar employees

icoupon2

Hooker boots for the mistah not the mustard.
PF Member
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...at-workers-on-strike-20120809,0,1174481.story

Gov. Pat Quinn visited striking Caterpillar workers in Joliet Friday to deliver a $10,000 check from his campaign fund and offer encouragment as the labor dispute enters its fourth month.

"When people are united they can't be defeated," he told a crowd of more than 100 people who gathered around a blue tent to hear him speak.

Quinn, dressed in beige slacks and a blue polo, shook the hands of the union members as he moved through the crowd.

"Help us and we'll help you," said a woman as he greeted her. "Talk to corporate for us," said another.

"We believe in you," Quinn said. He often repeated: "Don't let anyone tell you you are not the best."

Union members said the governor's visit gave them hope, while others called the visit a "show and tell."

"It's a shot in the arm. It's good to see someone cares a bit. Maybe that's what we need to bring more attention to out fight," said Mike Kinkin, 59.

Labor experts are keeping a close watch on the dispute between Caterpillar and its machinists in Joliet because it has the potential to define the future of contract negotiations in an era when the country is officially out of the recession but struggling to create jobs. Talks have been deadlocked since June 27.

Robert Bruno, a professor of labor and employment relations at the University of Illinois at Chicago, said the governor’s visit could be significant if he acts as a mediator and gets the two sides to back to the negotiating table. Just showing up to the strike won’t do much, Bruno said.

Bruno said the democratic governor needs the support of the state’s labor movement if he plans on running for a second term, “and they are not happy now.”

Since taking office, Quinn has asked public workers for concessions to keep Illinois afloat. He is now pushing for a comprehensive solution to fix the state’s pension system, which has a deficit that could hit nearly $93 billion by next summer if changes are not made, the administration projects. However, a wide-ranging reform could alienate labor unions that provide campaign contributions and volunteers.

Among them is Caterpillar Chief Executive Douglas Oberhelman, who has also pushed for reform of workers' compensation and written to Quinn saying that state legislators were making it hard for Caterpillar to remain in the state.

In June, Caterpillar launched a study to explore options for updating its Peoria headquarters. The announcement was interpreted as a sign that the company was open to financial offers to move from Peoria.

From the early days of the strike, strikers have described their fight as not all that different from the Occupy Wall Street protesters. The workers feel betrayed because the company, known for its bright yellow heavy machinery, has reneged on so many of its promises over the years.

Labor experts have said that the strike is unusual because the company is making record profits. These disputes are more likely to be seen when companies are in trouble and need concessions to survive.

On July 25, Caterpillar reported a second-quarter profit of $1.7 billion, or $2.54 per share, up 67 percent from the year-earlier period's $1.02 billion, or $1.52 per share. Revenue was $17.4 billion.

The strike began on May 1, when about 780 union members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers walked out of their jobs after rejecting a proposed six-year contract that would double health care premiums and eliminate pensions and seniority rights.

The proposed contract would also freeze wages for workers hired before May 2005. Caterpillar, which has described its proposal as fair, has said workers hired since could receive raises if their wages fall below those of other manufacturing workers in northern Illinois. To make that assessment, the company said it would use market wage data compiled by industry groups.

Workers are paid from $11.50 to $28 per hour. About 250 to 300 of the union members are on the lower pay scale.

The union is pressing for cost-of-living increases, lower health-care premiums and for the company to honor seniority rights.

Strikers receive a $150 weekly stipend from the union, and some have acknowledged they are struggling financially. So far, more than 70 union members have crossed the picket line to return to work, according to workers on the picket line. Remaining strikers have vowed to press on.

1. The Tribune should use spell check. It's spelled encouragement :dunce:

2. This is a little smelly for my liking. Politicians giving money to unions? And here we all thought it was the other way around :snicker:

This reeks of wrong IMO

and no mention of the fact that quinn has refused to pay his state workers their negotiated contractual increases since Jan 2011. He is a butthead and two-faced.
he has given his staff and himself raises though...

When Cat went on strike back in the '80's, they closed the Quad City area plants after it was settled...about 10 per cent of our town's population lost their jobs...

Seems to be an incredibly bad idea for these workers to go on strike. Life is tough, wages stink, healthcare is getting way more expensive (for lots of people). Why do these workers think they aren't going to lose their jobs by doing this? Seems incredibly risky in this environment. My dh works for a company that does a lot of work with Caterpillar and he says Caterpillar doesn't need those striking workers which is why they stopped negotiating with them. He said they (Caterpillar) pulled workers from other area divisions. I think the whole thing is sad because these people are going to end up unemployed.

Edit: Oh, and on Quinn giving them $10,000 - that seems very wrong on more than one level.

When Cat went on strike back in the '80's, they closed the Quad City area plants after it was settled...about 10 per cent of our town's population lost their jobs...
I remember this strike well, my father and grandfather worked for them at the time. Union bread and cheese rock!!! It was a very stressful time for my fam.

My daddy worked there. He went on strike too and lost his job when the plant closed. We moved from Morrison, Il to Dewitt, IA to be close to Cat...

Workers are paid from $11.50 to $28 per hour. About 250 to 300 of the union members are on the lower pay scale

I just can't get over the disparity in pay. It use to be when a company made record profits they would share a liitle piece of the pie.

Cat has 9 plants under construction in China..expected to be completed in late 2012.

That's capitalism.

My guess is Catapillar is not going to budge or move majority of the operation somewhere else.

Workers are paid from $11.50 to $28 per hour. About 250 to 300 of the union members are on the lower pay scale

I just can't get over the disparity in pay. It use to be when a company made record profits they would share a liitle piece of the pie.

Cat has 9 plants under construction in China..expected to be completed in late 2012.

Um you missed this:
The proposed contract would also freeze wages for workers hired before May 2005. Caterpillar, which has described its proposal as fair, has said workers hired since could receive raises if their wages fall below those of other manufacturing workers in northern Illinois. To make that assessment, the company said it would use market wage data compiled by industry groups.

Those are likely the people making the excessive $28/hr + pension/healthcare... The ones making $11.50 and on the lower end will be eligible for wage increases.

Quinn is terrible in general, though today did a great thing, he stopped the Democrat party/union cronies who tried to stick it to everyone in natural gas prices.

"Gov. Pat Quinn on Friday vetoed a bill that would have allowed Leucadia National Corp. to move forward with a coal gasification plant slated for Chicago's Southeast Side.

Under the bill, Nicor Gas and Ameren Illinois customers would have been required to pay 95 percent of the costs to build and operate the $3 billion plant. Customers would been billed for the plant's gas for 30 years through their utility bills. The plant's gas would have cost an estimated to cost three to four times the current price of natural gas."

That's capitalism.

My guess is Catapillar is not going to budge or move majority of the operation somewhere else.

Good or bad China is growing, they are buying heavy equipment so most or the stuff built there will be sold there. Hey, almost every Toyota Camry sold here is built and employs workers here.

Um you missed this:

Those are likely the people making the excessive $28/hr + pension/healthcare... The ones making $11.50 and on the lower end will be eligible for wage increases.

Quinn is terrible in general, though today did a great thing, he stopped the Democrat party/union cronies who tried to stick it to everyone in natural gas prices.

"Gov. Pat Quinn on Friday vetoed a bill that would have allowed Leucadia National Corp. to move forward with a coal gasification plant slated for Chicago's Southeast Side.

Under the bill, Nicor Gas and Ameren Illinois customers would have been required to pay 95 percent of the costs to build and operate the $3 billion plant. Customers would been billed for the plant's gas for 30 years through their utility bills. The plant's gas would have cost an estimated to cost three to four times the current price of natural gas."

I didn't miss it. I was just refering to the payscale range. I just feel bad for everyone involved.

How does this help companies want to be in Illinois?

I really don't think to many companies seek out Illinois. I always said the only reason I live in Illinois is because of my job. Not looking so bright for my kiddos.

I really don't think to many companies seek out Illinois. I always said the only reason I live in Illinois is because of my job. Not looking so bright for my kiddos.

That's why he shouldn't be getting involved with this IMO. It's all about getting union members votes. I'm so tired of politicians working harder on being reelected then for the people.

I think the range in pay might have something to do with skilled tradesmen vs. laborers

Nope (google is our friend), but really why would you think that with the indication of the after 2005 date that was the case?

anyway, from the local paper:

"Secondly Caterpillar instituted a two-tier wage system in the previous six-year contract which applies to all new hires " ie 2006ish

So to clarify its not skilled versus laborers, its reality that set in at the time of the last contract and the union CHOSE to protect their existing :quotes:members:quotes:/subjects (ie the workers the overpaid union overlords leech off of and use their dues to donate to whomever the overlords choose).

That's why he shouldn't be getting involved with this IMO. It's all about getting union members votes. I'm so tired of politicians working harder on being reelected then for the people.

He could have saved himself the $10k. There aren't enough union tradesmen left working in IL to make a voting difference.

Back