What's new

Reccomend a Good Karaoke Program

Streaker

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
edit: if ya can't reccomend a program please recommend one or share your thoughts/experiences about what I'm looking to do and what you do with your own PC based shows.

So, I'm tired of lugging discs and I'm ready to rip my disc collection to a HD for e-z access

I'm really liking the features offered by Karma but, I'm scared my gig rig may not have enough juice to run their latest version. I'm OK on the ram with 2 gigs installed however, my AMD Sempron processor runs @ 2.1 and Karma recommends dual 1.6's or a single 3.

Anyone have any experience with Karma or any others? If so what processor speed are you running and how much ram?

Once I go digital I don't want to have to reply on winamp or anything without full control over rotations and what not. I'd like to have the ability to manage my show while lyrics are displayed on external monitors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I use Compuhost and your rig should be able to run it no problem. I prefer it over karma as it uses less cpu than karma. I also like control over my rotations as I like to be able to tell the program where to insert the new singer rather than let the program do it for me. I use to use JustKaraoke but with having to have books I just feel it's a waste of time running a kiosk and having books as I feel that the kiosk was supposed to replace the books.

Streaker said:
edit: if ya can't reccomend a program please recommend one or share your thoughts/experiences about what I'm looking to do and what you do with your own PC based shows.

So, I'm tired of lugging discs and I'm ready to rip my disc collection to a HD for e-z access

I'm really liking the features offered by Karma but, I'm scared my gig rig may not have enough juice to run their latest version. I'm OK on the ram with 2 gigs installed however, my AMD Sempron processor runs @ 2.1 and Karma recommends dual 1.6's or a single 3.

Anyone have any experience with Karma or any others? If so what processor speed are you running and how much ram?

Once I go digital I don't want to have to reply on winamp or anything without full control over rotations and what not. I'd like to have the ability to manage my show while lyrics are displayed on external monitors.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I'm running Karma on a Dual core Intel at 2.? ghz 4GB Ram.... and it runs perfectly.... does everything I need it to do and most importantly it does it mostly from one screen. It's solid as a rock... the only thing I can say bad is it doesn't play well with VDJ when using ASIO drivers.... but, just pipe it out with a separate sound card and you're good to go....

For ripping I Highly Recomend Power CDG Burner.... hands down the best ripper out there.

I keep it simple & cheap...

Tricerisofts Swift Ultralite... $20

No bells, no whistles, & guess what? Has NEVER crashed on me in 8 years...

YAY!

For Computers Roxbox is the way to go, it's the best purchase i've ever made and i've been using it for 8 years and yes, definitely use Power CD+G Burner to rip your tracks.

I am running Karma on a HP Compaq 610 with a 2.0 P4 processor and 1 gig of memory with NO problems. I have another backup Computer a HP Compaq 610 with a 1.8 P4 processor and 512 gig of memory it is a little slow on the lookup and from time to time after it runs at two or three shows it will lock up and I have to dump the Karma Data folder once that is done it will run three or four more shows before it locks up again, but functions fine as a backup unit, I have a much newer quad core HP laptop but I am running Rockit DJ on that one, I was running Rockit on another Compaq 610, but lost the screen on that one recently and didn't feel the need to "save" the little runt so I put it out of it's misery!

I run Karma on a old AMD 4000+ with 1.5 gig of ram without the slightest problem. I can run winamp and Virtual DJ at the same time also.

+1 Compuhost. The gold standard by which others are measured IMHO.

You do realize that asking this question here is like going to an auto forum and asking "What is the best oil?" :sqlaugh:

You've got to pick the program that best macthes your style of karaoke hosting or operation.

Some have complex hosting features, and others are as simplistic and user-friendly as iTunes.

Pick on the basis of how well it fits you - not simply which is top dog.

Thanks for all of the replies!! I've downloaded trial versions of swiftpro, karafun, and compuhost.

I need something that is as easy 4 me to use like virtual DJ. I like virtual for playing music because I plug in my drive, create a database, then go straight to work. No fussing with set-up or spending hours setting up a database, etc.

I'm not really computer savvy so the simpler the better lol.

Streaker, I recommend you definitely try the trial for roxbox i can help you if you have any questions, and for Karaoke you really won't have any complaints, for music i run virtual dj along with it, I don't like to mesh my karaoke and dj into one program, that's where i feel they get too complicated

Loneavenger said:
Streaker, I recommend you definitely try the trial for roxbox i can help you if you have any questions, and for Karaoke you really won't have any complaints, for music i run virtual dj along with it, I don't like to mesh my karaoke and dj into one program, that's where i feel they get too complicated

Thanks Loneavenger, I'm going to DL the trial today!

I have a karaoke wedding coming up and having everything on PC will really save me some time.

Wall Of Sound said:
I keep it simple & cheap...

Tricerisofts Swift Ultralite... $20

No bells, no whistles, & guess what? Has NEVER crashed on me in 8 years...

YAY!

Looks easy to operate however, I can't figure out how to load my library of what I already have ripped to my drive. It's letting me load a single song however, I can't figure out how to create a database.

I guess I'll have to play around with all of them some more :sqerr:

Streaker said:
Looks easy to operate however, I can't figure out how to load my library of what I already have ripped to my drive. It's letting me load a single song however, I can't figure out how to create a database.

I guess I'll have to play around with all of them some more :sqerr:

Add Folder...., not Add File.... Make sure all your rips are in one folder...

Wall Of Sound said:

Thank you :toothy4:

I'm going to try right now.

Wall Of Sound said:

Once I have my stuff loaded can I search the database?

Is the Quick Find the way to look up and add songs?

Streaker said:
Once I have my stuff loaded can I search the database?

Is the Quick Find the way to look up and add songs?

Yes, Quick Find is the search box....

Nice thing about Karma is you don't have to find the Quick Search in the Search box..... looking for a song....

Just start typeing..... :)

Back