What's new

Referees making bad calls

Kina

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Should referees be fined for bad calls?

Should referees be fined for bad calls?

I think not because referees can't always make the right ones. Their calls are always based on THEIR judgement, so what you might think is a "bad call", he obviously would think was the right call. Fining referees for making bad calls wouldn't really solve anything.

That would never happen. They're human, so mistakes are expected. You can't fine someone for just making an error in judgement, everybody does it. Officiating can be awful sometimes though no doubt.

I think College refs need to take their time to review certain things. No rush. Get the call right. Fans are willing to wait for a finalized call, because a bad call does nothing but take away form a good or great game.

I think College refs need to take their time to review certain things. No rush. Get the call right. Fans are willing to wait for a finalized call, because a bad call does nothing but take away form a good or great game.

You make a good point; however, there's always the situation where fans think the ref made a bad call, but in reality, the ref just made a justified call is all. Not every call can be reviewed; that would be hard, so what we just set out rules to is that whatever the ref calls is what happens.

Your view and the referees view are 2 entirely different things, that's why you think hes missed calls and why you think they have done a wrong call. Refs can't see everything and neither can you!

Fining them would be stupid and no one would referee, would you prefer no Basketball or a wrong call now and again? I know which one I would have.

(I wasn't referring to you specifically I was referring to "you" as in the audience)

Your view and the referees view are 2 entirely different things, that's why you think hes missed calls and why you think they have done a wrong call. Refs can't see everything and neither can you!

Fining them would be stupid and no one would referee, would you prefer no Basketball or a wrong call now and again? I know which one I would have.

(I wasn't referring to you specifically I was referring to "you" as in the audience)

I don't know, fining them might be on the table here. Think about this. In the past few years, refs have been caught purposely "altering" games and even betting on games. So with them having the sort of control they do over a game the should be made accountable. Because as it stands, nothing happens to them when they make bad calls.

Should they be fined? Maybe, maybe not. But some sort of quota or penalty system should be in place. Because they have too much power to go unchecked like that.

I don't know, fining them might be on the table here. Think about this. In the past few years, refs have been caught purposely "altering" games and even betting on games. So with them having the sort of control they do over a game the should be made accountable. Because as it stands, nothing happens to them when they make bad calls.

Should they be fined? Maybe, maybe not. But some sort of quota or penalty system should be in place. Because they have too much power to go unchecked like that.

Yeah,but some make mistakes,and other bet and make the wrong calls on purpose.I really think penalizing them would be a bad idea

Yeah,but some make mistakes,and other bet and make the wrong calls on purpose.I really think penalizing them would be a bad idea

I can understand mistakes can be made, it's part of life and natural. But just because a ref may or may not make a mistake doesn't mean there shouldn't be any kind of penalty or reprimand applied to it.

When you make a mistake in life, even when it's an accident, sometimes you still have to make up for it somehow.

Why should this be any different?

That is a hard question cause some make them on accident but others i feel like sometimes the ref needs to be fair on every call they make.

Back