What's new

Reformat a laptop...?

Mugetsu

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Allright, so I followed a tutorial on how to reformat a Dell laptop without the disk. Problem is, it asked me to find a folder called "I386" or something like that. Well, I found it, but the thing I was supposed to find, "Winnt32.exe" wasn't there. Is it possible a virus could've deleted it, or am I not just looking hard enough?

P.S: I ran a search with "My Computer". Nothing.

AFAIR, there isn't a program named "Winnt32.exe".

AFAIK the only way to reformat a Windows computer without the manufacturer's CD/DVD is to use an original Microsoft Windows disk.

Before you do that, it is advised that you backup all your data (personal files etc.) onto an external disk drive or CD-R/DVD-R (Windows has built-in CD/DVD burning software for that) or USB key with enough storage space.

Don't use a pirated copy of Windows, since this is illegal and exposes you to risks of virus and botnet infection.

If you need a free AND legal operating system, check out Fedora Linux or Ubuntu Linux or Debian Linux.

HTH

AFAIR, there isn't a program named "Winnt32.exe".

AFAIK the only way to reformat a Windows computer without the manufacturer's CD/DVD is to use an original Microsoft Windows disk.

Before you do that, it is advised that you backup all your data (personal files etc.) onto an external disk drive or CD-R/DVD-R (Windows has built-in CD/DVD burning software for that) or USB key with enough storage space.

Don't use a pirated copy of Windows, since this is illegal and exposes you to risks of virus and botnet infection.

If you need a free AND legal operating system, check out Fedora Linux or Ubuntu Linux or Debian Linux.

HTH

*likes*

Well, just take a look at this...

Write down your 25-digit Windows product key. You'll need it when you reinstall the operating system. It should be on the bottom of your laptop. If you can't find it, contact Dell customer support at 800-624-9897.

Open "My Computer" and then open "Drive C." This is the main hard drive of your computer.

Open the folder titled "I386." If you cannot see it, you may have to enable viewing hidden files and folders. You can do this by going to "Tools," then "Folder Options," then selecting "View Hidden Files and Folders" on the window Drive C is open in.

Double click on the file Winnt32.exe. This will open a program that will ask you several questions. Answer them and agree that you want to wipe out your operating system. The computer will run for awhile--don't touch it until you are specifically asked a question or given instructions.

Enter your product key when prompted. Your Dell laptop is now reformatted and should run a clean, new version of Windows XP.

The source is eHow. Removed any links.

Have you tried to enable the display of hidden files and folders as suggested in step 4?

Now I remember that OEM PCs often contain a "C:\I386" folder ... if so, the WINNT32.EXE Program was made by the OEM, probably not by Microsoft. It could be marked hidden to prevent the casual user from noticing its presence ...

Be sure to back up all data before reformatting your computer ... afterwards, there is no retrieving them (unless perhaps by a specialized lab that can restore files from magnetic residue ... ).

You only need that if your installing windows from the folder. That is the command line took I believe and no one uses that anymore. Being you have a laptop I am sure your laptop model and drivers are on the manufacturers website. So you could just lowlevel it and then reinstall from a CD with your product code off the laptop. They do have a couple programs out there you can google that will make a backup of your computer all files and such if your wanting to save everything before doing so, but should be a simple process. I would suggest Boot N Nuke for the format to whipe it completely unless your laptop has some kind of factory reset like most do. Then you would just boot to it and run it and back to clean..Though I always like to do everything myself :)

Why are you looking fir files if you are reformatting?
Get a copy of Gparted and you can use that to boot and reformat. No need for a wIndows disk.

If you are not using a valid copy of windows I will advise you to install a new copy of windows by formatting the hard disk from BIOS, it will clean out your all hard disks from viruses

Back