What's new

Rep. Todd Akin: No pregnancy from 'legitimate rape'

With respect to "keep it simple, stupid" I like the following instead:

tumblr_m97pg983rr1qlkly8.jpg

Add: you have no say on if your child can be born or aborted, but if she decides it will be born, you have to be financially responsible for the child and it would actually be truthful.

But it takes two............unless there's some new way I don't know about. :dunce:

And there's a third person involved as well - the baby.

Maybe I missed it.... where was it determined that Akin believes someone who gets pregnant by rape "wanted it" ??? Drastically wrong and completely stupid, I agree with..... evil? I haven't seen the proof for that. If he really believed that, it would have been UBER stupid of him to say it out loud, no? As it was, he was idiot enough for voicing a belief from medieval times.... ok, not that long ago, actually, ..... not very long ago at all..... I've never heard of this, but apparently, it's been around for a while..... Yes, Rep. Akin should have been gotten it right, but I don't know that he's evil for getting it wrong.

His use of the term "legitimate" rape. Saying that women don't get pregnant from a "legitimate" rape basically says that if you get pregnant it wasn't a legitimate rape, so it wasn't really rape at all. Rape is sex without consent, if it's not rape you must have consented.

.......What Akin said was stupid.
Does he really believe it? I don't know. Honestly I really don't care.

Is this a distraction - of course it it. It's an election year. That's what we're gonna be getting for the next two and a half months.......

What Akin said in his interview is what Akin believes. It was the Republicans idea to place abortion on their election platform. So get use to the chatter. This was settled years ago now they want it back on the table for discussion ....you got it! My outrage is pumped.

Ryan holds the same track record as Akin....personhood legislation with no exemption for rape or incest victims. Just on the surface....Rommey, as all good Mormans, don't allow their wife a "top position" during sex. I just can't vote yea for this one!

What Akin said in his interview is what Akin believes. It was the Republicans idea to place abortion on their election platform. So get use to the chatter. This was settled years ago now they want it back on the table for discussion ....you got it! My outrage is pumped.

Ryan holds the same track record as Akin....personhood legislation with no exemption for rape or incest victims. Just on the surface....Rommey, as all good Mormans, don't allow their wife a "top position" during sex. I just can't vote yea for this one!

Same thing could have been said about slavery, women's right to vote, etc.

hmmmm...I don't see these topics being the same. please explain

You said this was something that was settled years ago and now they want it back up for discussion.

That same thing could have been said about slavery before it was outlawed. Slavery was the law of the land. It was settled. Some wanted it up for discussion. It was later outlawed because people didn't simply accept it because it was law. They changed the law.

Women weren't allowed to vote. That was the law of the land. It was settled. Some wanted it up for discussion. It was later changed because people didn't accept it simply because it was the law. They changed the law.

Some of us feel that abortion on demand is not a just law. Some of us feel that law should be changed.

That's the point I was trying to make.

You said this was something that was settled years ago and now they want it back up for discussion.

That same thing could have been said about slavery before it was outlawed. Slavery was the law of the land. It was settled. Some wanted it up for discussion. It was later outlawed because people didn't simply accept it because it was law. They changed the law.

Women weren't allowed to vote. That was the law of the land. It was settled. Some wanted it up for discussion. It was later changed because people didn't accept it simply because it was the law. They changed the law.

Some of us feel that abortion on demand is not a just law. Some of us feel that law should be changed.

That's the point I was trying to make.

This post really made me think and sort of analyze my own thought process. I must admit when you first made the comparison I had no idea what you were talking about and kind of dismissed the comment. But once you explain it I realize that what you are saying really does make sense and it was only my own somewhat unanalyzed view that my own opinion lies firmly on the right side of history that prevented me from even seeing how this would look from the other side. Thanks for making me think.

And there's a third person involved as well - the baby.

Well the fourth "entity" government or millions (taxpayers), who will have support the child in many cases, either through direct support (insurance, free breakfast/lunch, tanf, EIC etc) or k-12 free education indirectly.

This post really made me think and sort of analyze my own thought process. I must admit when you first made the comparison I had no idea what you were talking about and kind of dismissed the comment. But once you explain it I realize that what you are saying really does make sense and it was only my own somewhat unanalyzed view that my own opinion lies firmly on the right side of history that prevented me from even seeing how this would look from the other side. Thanks for making me think.

do you THINK killing innocent babies is wrong now? Sane republicans/ conservatives know that it isnt an all or nothing, we have to start using SELF control for birth control, NOT KILLING!

On the final morning of the Republican National Convention, Karl Rove took the stage at the Tampa Club to provide an exclusive breakfast briefing to about 70 of the Republican Party’s highest-earning and most powerful donors. During the more than hour-long session, Rove explained to an audience dotted with hedge fund billionaires and investors—including John Paulson and Wilbur Ross—how his super PAC, American Crossroads, will persuade undecided voters in crucial swing states to vote against Barack Obama. He also detailed plans for Senate and House races, and joked, “We should sink Todd Akin. If he’s found mysteriously murdered, don’t look for my whereabouts!â€

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-08-31/exclusive-inside-karl-roves-billionaire-fundraiser

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought that's what you meant but wanted to be sure. A part of what the the RNC PLANNED to discuss in this election is to discontinue the right to abortion. (Not the topics you stated) I well remember Roe VS Wade from the 70's. It might do you well to take a quick history lesson to see how we got to where we are today.
Is the most correct and empathic thing to do....force a woman who has been raped bare a child? I don't think so. As a rule I think the mother's choice comes first...no matter what. The decision to under go an abortion is no easy task. I'm not pro-abortion but I am Pro-choice.

do you THINK killing innocent babies is wrong now? Sane republicans/ conservatives know that it isnt an all or nothing, we have to start using SELF control for birth control, NOT KILLING!

I think it's really curious that in the same sentiment where you expressed the notion that it isn't all or nothing you jump out with the "killing innocent babies" comment. I don't think anyone's "in favor" of that--and framing it that way is exactly the sort of all or nothing mentality you pretend to deride. I think for instance in the case of rape there are no really great solutions and it behooves a society that values personal freedom in any way shape or form to not be forcing anything (again) on the victim.

Read carefully, "we have to start using SELF control for birth control" is a position of those extremists who are not only against abortion, but also against any form of birth control except abstaining from sex.

The RNC plank was not just against abortion, but even against abortion for victims or rape or incest. It also precluded abortion even to save the life of the mother.

For some, their concern ends at birth.

no_wire_hangers_sticker-p217267212015883331envb3_400.jpg

Back