What's new

Request Slips

Mobile Music 1

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
For those that are still using request slips, I've got a question. Who makes them? Are they just sheets of paper that you've cut up, are they printed by you or made by a print shop?

I've thought about the inexpensive postcards for a couple of reasons. They're inexpensive. Also, they can take the place of a business card, put them in the front of the binders and see how many will take one or two home with them. If I do any outdoor gigs, it'll be harder for them to blow away.

I use Latshaw's Song Slip Creator which prints them out on a 8.5 x 11 page and then I cut them up with a paper cutter.... print and cut myself... cheaper that way.

Same here I use Latshaw's Song Slip Creator too, free program that comes ready to print or you can customize it and print.

If you live close to a Kinkos/ Fed Ex. or some office supply place they might have a paper cutter. Makes nice straight cuts fast and use it for FREE.

I had Kinkos print out mine then they made pads out of them. I velcroed them into the front of my notebooks and that way, they are always there. Much cheaper than business cards.

I make my own templates and then use a paper cutter to cut them up.
Your Name:.....................................
Artist Name:....................................
Song Title:......................................
Change Key +............... -...................

Avery Business card stock. Make you own business card and have the sound request on the rear. Many people usually end up keeping your card.

Though I haven't used Slips in over 8 years, I used to have custom post-it pads printed up.. they're dirt cheap to get 1000 pads made, and they stick to the table, wall, or whatever...

That being said, why are you guys still using slips?

Aside from the disc dinosaurs who are afraid of thos scary computers (lol), I don't see why anyone using a computer would use them.

a few things I see as benefits to not using slips..

1.) You actually interact with your customer. You look them in the eye, listen to them, learn their name, and form a connection, as opposed to them just throwing a pile of slips at you.

2.) People cannot put in songs under different names if they physically have to tell you the tune. My rule is that the person singing the song has to request it.. (unless I know them )

3.) You save money on an unnecessary product.

Steve Lynch said:
Though I haven't used Slips in over 8 years, I used to have custom post-it pads printed up.. they're dirt cheap to get 1000 pads made, and they stick to the table, wall, or whatever...

That being said, why are you guys still using slips?

Aside from the disc dinosaurs who are afraid of thos scary computers (lol), I don't see why anyone using a computer would use them.

a few things I see as benefits to not using slips..

1.) You actually interact with your customer. You look them in the eye, listen to them, learn their name, and form a connection, as opposed to them just throwing a pile of slips at you.

2.) People cannot put in songs under different names if they physically have to tell you the tune. My rule is that the person singing the song has to request it.. (unless I know them )

3.) You save money on an unnecessary product.

Sounds great! Try doing that while you have people singing and several people standing in line trying to make requests. If you don't have the song they have to stand there and think of another.

Yeah I try and use slips 100 percent of the time. I Just purchase Index Cards and have them in a box On the table along with My Business Cards, Pens, and A Sample Index Card Filled out to show them ( Your Name, Artist Name, Song Name )........I still have a few regulars that i will just let them tell me their requests but on a busy night i even ask them to fill out a card, because there's just way too much going on to have a line of people trying to come behind my booth

With me being in a resort area, the postcard idea is a novel way to create request slips and self-promote. 5,000 are $106. At that price I HOPE they take a few home with them. I'll post when I've designed them.

ahoustondj said:
Sounds great! Try doing that while you have people singing and several people standing in line trying to make requests. If you don't have the song they have to stand there and think of another.

Um, I've been to Steve's karaoke nights and he does just that. If the song is in your book, shouldn't you have it?

You do have books, don't you? I am slowly getting away from slips and am starting this week to encourage them to text their requests to me. It is 2010, after all. :sqrolleyes:

Steve,

Besides what Houston has already posted, which is significant when you have 30+ singers on the list (and I use a sign up sheet instead of slips that way they don't even have to hand it to me) you really don't have time to interact with each person (and get to know them) and still do your job, it may work OK for a show with 5 to 10 but any more than that it affects the tempo and quality of the show!

Other than the occasional "hot" babe coming up to sit on my lap (and please don't try to kiss me honey, because all you will get is the top of my balding head) I don't want to shake hands with every meatbeater in the place, I don't want to have to smell their body odor or garlic breath and I don't want their germs, I do this 5 nights a week and I don't need to be sick!

The list works just fine!

By the way I know every singer that comes to every show on a regular basis, those that aren't regulars I don't really need to get to know that well!

Kevin Nichols said:
Um, I've been to Steve's karaoke nights and he does just that. If the song is in your book, shouldn't you have it?

You do have books, don't you? I am slowly getting away from slips and am starting this week to encourage them to text their requests to me. It is 2010, after all. :sqrolleyes:

I too have gotten away from slips but am leaning towards a kiosk to replace slips because I am not the best speller. I have books but that doesn't stop punters from asking do you have such and such a song without checking the books.

I still use slips, some people that are regulars just tell me or txt their songs.

My wife designed mine we put 6 on a sheet, I like larger slips.

I use an assortment of neon colored paper, it stands out and make it easier for me to read in a dark bar.

ahoustondj said:

You can solve that by simply putting their name in the rotation and telling them to go sit down and think up another tune.... 'der?!?

DannyGKaraoke said:
I too have gotten away from slips but am leaning towards a kiosk to replace slips because I am not the best speller. I have books but that doesn't stop punters from asking do you have such and such a song without checking the books.

That's cause they are spoiled by pirates and think since the other KJ has every song known to man so should you.... I mean after all you use a computer right?

I haven't used slips in a long time either and not because of the above... I most certainly don't have every song known to man...

I just don't need to know what song they want to sing until they come up to sing.... since it is so quick to just search while some bumper song is playing that I don't need more than their name when they walk in the door to get them on the list.

I used to do Karaoke back in the 90's with Pioneer laser discs. Back then, I used an Avery business card template in Micorsoft Word to deisgn ten requests slips per letter size sheet of paper. They included my company name and phone number (no website or Internet yet in those days).

I ended up with 8 ~ 10 crates of very heavy discs that were cumbersome to load, file, and carry to and home from events. I eventually got burned out on Karaoke and basically quit doing it for almost a decade now.

Currently, I mix music videos in a bar on weeknights and I have an incarnation of my original Karaoke request slips for patrons to request music videos. I put a dozen on each of the tables next to the Keno lottery slips holder. Some get used from "hot" tables and some don't. They are cheap to print on flourescent paper and do the job. I'm sure people have used them to write phone #'s instead of napkins, but, it's all good. Cheap advertising and a useful tool for me at the same time.

I also like the personal interaction to see what is getting requested. If it's a great request, I'll comment on that. If it's brand "hot" new and I don't have it yet, I'll comment I'm dying to get it and hopefully will have it next week! I prefer personal interaction as much as possible!

30 singers is a slow night around here..

our Friday night show regularly has a list of 50 or more individual singers.

For this reason, we have to start sign up almost 1 hour early... we run a 5 hour show.

you know how pissed they get when someone shows up at 9:05 for a 9:00 show and they find out it's a 2:45 wait till' they can sing???

lol...

Papers get in my way.

Steve Lynch said:

For this reason, we have to start sign up almost 1 hour early... we run a 5 hour show.

you know how pissed they get when someone shows up at 9:05 for a 9:00 show and they find out it's a 2:45 wait till' they can sing???

lol...

Papers get in my way.

5 hour show, not bad you are knocking down 85 different songs (avg) per night with 50 singers, that would mean most nights by the end of the first hour you should have 10 to 15 people lined up trying to make request and talk to you!

You are a busy man!:sqwink:

Steve Lynch said:

lol...

Papers get in my way.

I wouldn't like that, I would do it but I really like my 8 to 12 person rotations with 80 non-singers in the bar that want me to play music. I'm non-traditional karaoke.

Back