What's new

Request Slips

jokerswild said:
I just don't need to know what song they want to sing until they come up to sing.... since it is so quick to just search while some bumper song is playing that I don't need more than their name when they walk in the door to get them on the list.

The speed and ease of using a computer is exactly why I use slips. I can schmooze the customer a bit when they come up, answer questions, and enter the songs in batches when no customers require attention.

Moonrider said:
The speed and ease of using a computer is exactly why I use slips. I can schmooze the customer a bit when they come up, answer questions, and enter the songs in batches when no customers require attention.

So true!

I find that even if I don't have slips singers will write on napkins and scraps of paper and bring them up..... we've got them trained well.... :sqlaugh:

Kevin Nichols said:
Um, I've been to Steve's karaoke nights and he does just that. If the song is in your book, shouldn't you have it?

You do have books, don't you? I am slowly getting away from slips and am starting this week to encourage them to text their requests to me. It is 2010, after all. :sqrolleyes:

I do have books available. No Texting Please!

ahoustondj said:
I make my own templates and then use a paper cutter to cut them up.
Your Name:.....................................
Artist Name:....................................
Song Title:......................................
Change Key +............... -...................

Similar, but a wee different:

Your Name:....................
Song Title:....................
Number: ( Ex: SPC13-18)
Key Up.. Key Down..
My Disc?
E-mail:....................

Actually i use slips for a different reason. If my computer craps out and I have to use the cdg player, i'll still know exactly what my rotation is.

-James

Moonrider said:

Works for discs too. I get a bunch of slips, and can pull and line up the next 10 discs on the felt- Schmooze time!

When I was doing karaoke @ a bar here 6 nights a week I used a chalk board on the wall. Everyone knew when and what they were singing. Now since they are PC based, thanks to me and my countless hours of ripping cdg's for them every night of the week for about 4 hrs a day:sqmad: (and drinking free beer:sqbiggrin::sqcool::sqerr::sqerr:). They are starting to get away from the chalk board because the rotation is on the screens.

I print and cut out my own, on the bottom of each one it says... "Please Sing, Don't Scream"

OK guys, attached are the request slip postcards. I think the logo worked out well.

Oh silly me, i almost forgot to post what I do for my slips.. Since i bought a copy of fastracks to do my books, I use that to print out the slips, then I just cut along the guide lines.

-James

Mobile Music 1 said:
OK guys, attached are the request slip postcards. I think the logo worked out well.

Looks great, but what do they cost you per slip? Mine are 8 to a page- If I copy 1000 at Staples that's a penny apiece.

They are $106 for 5,000. That's a little over $.02 each without shipping.

A business card. A novelty item that they'll take with them. The next time they go on vacation or come back for the convention, they will come back to our location (wherever it may be on the island). Brides should book us.

I need to add the Twitter, MySpace and FaceBook logos on there!

I use the sign up sheet method. I went to a show with a kiosk, and I couldn't figger the **** thing out. So I just gave up and watched.

Joe, I forgot to tell you that I like having a spot for the email address.

Skid Rowe said:
I use the sign up sheet method. I went to a show with a kiosk, and I couldn't figger the **** thing out. So I just gave up and watched.

Hey Skid Baby!

What's Up my man?

I'm non-traditional karaoke as well, mixing music and music videos in. Usually more spectators than singers, and I prefer it that way. I almost always insist in paper for singers, as it's the easiest way for me to not forget people or their songs. As for my slips, I just chop up old used paper, usually outdated pages from my old books, into 6 squares with a paper-cutter and place them in the front and back pockets of my books. Writing the artist and title of a song and your own name shouldn't require a special form, just use the blank side of the paper. When new people come up to me who are not used to this, I just redirect them back to the tables and bar which mostly all have books on them with slips as well as pens and pencils. With the exception of people I know and like, I really don't like people near me, not even hot women.

jokerswild said:
That's cause they are spoiled by pirates and think since the other KJ has every song known to man so should you.... I mean after all you use a computer right?

I haven't used slips in a long time either and not because of the above... I most certainly don't have every song known to man...

I just don't need to know what song they want to sing until they come up to sing.... since it is so quick to just search while some bumper song is playing that I don't need more than their name when they walk in the door to get them on the list.
I like to have at least one song in for each singer so I am not fumbling for the song while waiting for them to give it to me on the way up to the stage. When I have requests it is all about karaoke, no filler. I am afraid to play a song that a singer might have wanted to sing but I don't want to play something nobody wants to hear either. Talk about mood killers. Now that I sprung for the request tool from tricerasoft, I can take requests into Justkaraoke on karaoke nights and also take requests using the standalone server tool to drop the requests into my dj player when doing a dj only gig. On karaoke night I take only karaoke requests.

Back