What's new

Requesting help for a needy family

tracynvk

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am requesting any help I can get. I am an elementary education teacher in the Joliet/Lockport/Homer area. I recently found out that one of the boys in my class was crying because his mother told him that he and his siblings would not be getting any Christmas gifts.

After speaking with the mother, I found out that her husband has been out of work for a long time. They are struggling financially to support their large family of 8 kids, like many others are. When I spoke with the boy he told me that he was only a little bit upset because "I have been really good all year, so at least we will get a Christmas gift from Santa." It broke my heart to hear that. I have been sending home different food items to help the family. He barely has anything in his lunch each day.

Of course my school's social worker and counselor are referring them to local food pantries and church groups for help too. Several of my co-workers have also provided clothing for the family (we have accummulated quite a bit for the family).

If anyone is willing to donate any toys (from santa!) or food items to help this family I would appreciate it. I would be willing to pick items up if you are relatively local to the Joliet/Lockport/Homer area. Again, I know times are tough for lots of us, but I am just trying to brighten one family's holiday this year. If you are willing and/or able, please send me a PM. I appreciate your consideration.

FYI-the sex/ages of the children are listed below...
Girl-13
Boy-12
Boy-10
Boy-8
Boy-7
Boy-6
Girl-5
Girl-1

I'm in Orland Park..... would be happy to put a few things together and maybe meet you in Homer???

I will PM you my email address-Thank you! I can easily get to a Kohl's by the 11th. Also-I will submit the request for Toys for Tots. I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thank you!

Are you able to get to a Kohl's before the 11th? If so PM me your email address.

Also (and I'm sure the school's SW knows this) but don't forget the Salvation Army as a resource.

Lastly the Joilet Toys for Tots
http://joliet-il.toysfortots.org/local-coordinator-sites/lco-sites/local-toy-request-single-form.asp
It looks like you can submit the request if the parents are too proud to do it themselves.

Back