What's new

Rip

aznfudge84

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
It's a sad day for me. My Gainward Geforce4 Ti4200 failed today at 2am while i was watching anime. NOooooo! Whenever I turn on the computer, all i see is extremely large grey squares in vertical lines. I only had it a little over a year. I didn't expect it to retire so darn early.

The warranty prolly expired but i'm gonna try calling the place i bought it from anyways. you might be wondering how i'm on the forum right now, well, i'm using a crapp school computer (imac) and it feels weird. esp the stupid keybord cuz it's all sticky. sigh

So how am I going to resolve my problem? hmmm, i was thinking either replace my card with a new one of the same model/make OR upgrade... most likey upgrade, but that's where i need input

My budget will most likely go up to $130 max but that's gonna empty out my wallet in its entirety. I was considering the radeon all-in-one wonder because I don't have a tv in my dorm room. If not, then any other card that has video out and can handle Halo Pc. Thanks a lot guys.

I'm gonna go back to my room and cry over my lost hardware. Then put it up on the wall because I had some good memories with it last year. All those frags T_T

i'm gonna try to send the card back to gainward in hopes of getting a replacement

prolly gonna go to bestbuy and buy a radeon 9600pro to use in the meanwhile; if i prefer the 9600pro, i might just sell the replacement ti4200 ... let's so what happens

Dude you can look @ newegg.com's refurb page for a CHEAP card , beware this is oem barebone so dont expect all the goodies and stuff but the price is INSANE!!!!!!!!!

Gainward GF4 TI cards are known for have heat problems due to the heatsink used. Try switching your card's heatsink to something better, and see if that helps. You never know.

yup, i did a bit of research on the gainward, and it seems that most of the USA batch have capacitor problems (usually the one in the corner)

anyways, i'm going to try and contact gainward and see if i can get a replacement

as for my curent replacement, i went shopping today at bestbuy and got the radeon 9600se, let's see how it keeps up to halo...

PS. I got the Radeon 9600 SE for $130 at bestbuy and this comes with a halflife 2 game coupon that can be redemed when the game comes out

how much do Gainward Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb (without tv-out) go for nowadays?

when i get a new one from manufacturer, i might sell it

FYI: The g4 ti4200 outperforms the radeon 9600se
I was surprized by the wee little heatsink on the 9600se so I might replace it with a nice biggo zalman aluminum heatsink and oc it. I'm not quite sure what i'm going to do with the ti4200 yet, perhaps build a new system when i have time. Another reason for holding the 9600se is the half-life 2 game it comes with. I beleive the price has dropped to $105 for the radeon if anyone's interested. I'll run 3d mark 2001 on both cards when i get a chance. Peaze

ps. Although the box of the radeon 9600se says it'll be able to run half-life2, I highly doubt it, but we'll see... currently runs halo fairly well, with very rare lags

Nice, i replaced my stock gf4 hs with a amd stock epoxyied onto it :). Look into the 9600xt Xeno just got it, i was wondering the benchmark scores?

eh i just snagged a 9600se for the uv pc today and the benchmarks are kinda nasty

3dMark03
9600xt - 4213
9600se - 2480

ouchies,... hey xeno, you used to own a ti4200 right? what are the benchmarks for it on your system?

i don't know, i never really cared..

sorry lol

lol. come on now. everyone cares how good their system is :D I DO! :)

Back