What's new

S-Video to VGA adapter

The Wizard Of OZ

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
S-Video to VGA adapter, anyone ever use one of these?

I need to go from the laptop S-Video to a switch box/RF modulator then an S-Video cable to an LCD monitor with a VGA jack.

And I need to connect a Karaoke player to the switch box using composite video jack, that's the simple part.

The switch box has S-Video inputs, composite and RCA inputs and S-video and RCA and composite out as well as coax in and out and you can connect multiple input devices.

S-Video to VGA adapter, anyone ever use one of these?

I need to go from the laptop S-Video to a switch box/RF modulator then an S-Video cable to an LCD monitor with a VGA jack.

And I need to connect a Karaoke player to the switch box using composite video jack, that's the simple part.

The switch box has S-Video inputs, composite and RCA inputs and S-video and RCA and composite out as well as coax in and out and you can connect multiple input devices.

Ok from the S-Video on your computer to the Composite connection on the A/B switch you can use a simple S-Video to Composite changer like this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=244967&CatId=466

Then from your A/B box Composite out to VGA you'd use one of these: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3877499&CatId=1430

Why so complicated can't you just go from your computers S-Video to the RCA changer into the A/B switch to a Composite (RCA) input on your monitor? That would be easier and cheaper.

I guess I gave way too much info.

I just need an adapter to go from S-Video to VGA-that's the S-video cable from the swichbox output to the LCD monitor which has a VGA jack. Other than that it's all straightforward.

They have every adapter you can think of on ebay, I just wanted to know if anyone has used an S-Video to VGA adapter and if it worked ok?

I guess I gave way too much info.

I just need an adapter to go from S-Video to VGA-that's the S-video cable from the swichbox output to the LCD monitor which has a VGA jack. Other than that it's all straightforward.

They have every adapter you can think of on ebay, I just wanted to know if anyone has used an S-Video to VGA adapter and if it worked ok?

Oh okay well then the last link I posted above would be what you want... that box will convert from s-video to VGA and vice versa.

And to answer your question.... they work very well. I have a buddy that uses one to convert from VGA to composite and it works well... it also does S-video... you can find cheaper than what I posted if you search tiger direct for VGA to RCA

That should work.... and if it don't you're only out a buck ten plus shipping vs. $70 for a converter box.... I still say the converter box is the better choice.

Dude, I already have a combination multi source input box/switch box, no way I'm spending another $70 to go from my switch box to the VGA port on my LCD monitor yo. Before I do that I'd buy a new monitor that comes with an S-Video input jack. Do ya feel me dog?

Dude, I already have a combination multi source input box/switch box, no way I'm spending another $70 to go from my switch box to the VGA port on my LCD monitor yo. Before I do that I'd buy a new monitor that comes with an S-Video input jack. Do ya feel me dog?

LMFAO.... I hear ya.... dawg... :sqcool:

All I can say is try it... if it works fantastic if not.... box it will have to be... you dig? :sqcool:

Actually it should work fine.

That being said, maybe I don't understand the problem because you shouldn't need a converter at all to plug into a monitor. Most laptops that have dual display and an s-video port also have a VGA out port that can be configured as the second output thru the video display control panel

Hmmm unless you need the s-video AND the vga... ok never mind

-James

The reason I need it is because the LCD monitor has a VGA port instead of S-video.

My switchbox has composite or S-Video in and out for several devices. I can hook up a couple Karaoke players and my laptop to it and then go out to a screen for the singers and out to the house big screen TVs through the coaxial jack. There are buttons on the switchbox that allow me to switch between the Karaoke player(s) or the laptop.

ahoustondj, that's what I already have but with more inputs, but no VGA output.
I need VGA out to my LCD monitor-it has a VGA port.
It seems there is no simple cable or adapter to go from S-Video to VGA.
Maybe there is a composite to VGA adapter? I'll check . . .

Looks like I'm better off just getting a LCD monitor or LCD TV with an S-Video input jack.

I found a 19" LCD monitor with Digital (DVI-D) input. Is this the same as S-Video?

I just went and looked DVI up on wikipedia and it looks just like the HDMI connector
on one of my LCD monitors.

Do any LCD monitors come with an S-video input jack? It seems like most still have VGA input.

I just don't want to carry around an old fashioned glass tube TV, but that may be the simplest solution to this debacle.

I found a 19" LCD monitor with Digital (DVI-D) input. Is this the same as S-Video?

I just went and looked DVI up on wikipedia and it looks just like the HDMI connector
on one of my LCD monitors.

Do any LCD monitors come with an S-video input jack? It seems like most still have VGA input.

Yes, some come with S-Video Jacks

Back