What's new

Sanitizing Microphones

How Do You Clean/Disinfect Your Microphones?

• I replace the foam filters/covers when they start smelling or looking yucky!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a sanitizing spray such as Lysol etc.

• I wash the foam filters/covers.

• I do not use foam filters/covers so I just use a disinfectant wipe/spray on the windscreens.

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Thunder said:
Rick, if it makes you happy I use a lot of clorox around the house LOL!

Just a note here for anyone who thinks Rick is serious about using Star San on microphones, this stuff is a highly corrosive acid and what ever it is used on has to be flushed and scrubbed with clean water after it is applied when used on certain metals it will put off highly explosive hydrogen gas, if it comes in contact with clorine you are dead!

So what you are saying is that we should save those mic covers for the bad singers?:sqeek:

young...

I use Lysol wipes before the start of every show, let them dry for about 5-10 minutes, 'cause I freak out that someone is either breathing in what is potentially toxic. I use baby wipes throughout the show, since i'm a little less worried about this poisoning my singers. I also use hand sanitizer. But mic screens generally gross me out, so I don't use em.

Man someone reading this from the outside would probably figure we are all just a bunch of germafobes.... LOL

Do the lysol wipes work ok? I've been looking for something to use, but I heard alcohol based wipes will ruin the finish on the metal windscreen or whatever you call the part that protects the actual microphone..

-James

Thunder said:
Rick, if it makes you happy I use a lot of clorox around the house LOL!

Just a note here for anyone who thinks Rick is serious about using Star San on microphones, this stuff is a highly corrosive acid and what ever it is used on has to be flushed and scrubbed with clean water after it is applied when used on certain metals it will put off highly explosive hydrogen gas, if it comes in contact with clorine you are dead!

Yup, recognized the chemistry....be fun to watch, though.....:sqcool:

JoeChartreuse said:
Yup, recognized the chemistry....be fun to watch, though.....:sqcool:

Total BS!

I use Star San on everything -- it's used all over in the food and brewing industry. It requires no rinsing.

You dilute 1 oz to 5 gallons of water -- you don't pour it on full strength -- it's an acid silly... :sqrolleyes:

Rick,

When I worked at Koni America we used Star San and Methylethylketone every day as paint strippers! The stuff is deadly and reqiured SABA be worn while using it even in a negative pressure paint booth. I had to study the book on both of them before using them! Ours came in glass lined 55 gallon drums.

By the time you dilute 1 ounce into 5 gallons of water, well you may as well be using water! Unless we are talking about two different Star San products!

Thunder said:
Rick,

When I worked at Koni America we used Star San and Methylethylketone every day as paint strippers! The stuff is deadly and reqiured SABA be worn while using it even in a negative pressure paint booth. I had to study the book on both of them before using them! Ours came in glass lined 55 gallon drums.

By the time you dilute 1 ounce into 5 gallons of water, well you may as well be using water! Unless we are talking about two different Star San products!

Steve,

I call BS!

You have no clue what the stuff is, and probably never used it -- apparently Googled it after your initial response. I spray my dogs drinking water bowl with it. I spray my counter and table tops with it.

It kills any living organism at that dilution, and dissipates the water almost immediately.

Go pick on speakers, or something you "know"... :sqwink: :sqbiggrin:

SoftJock Rick said:
I don't sing or any of that crazy wannabe idol stuff, but try StarSan.

I use it when I brew, and it kills everything in a few seconds, and dries quick. You can make up a batch mixed with water, and put it in a spray bottle -- it lasts quite a long time.

LOL...I have a quart of StarSan in my basement. (Big time homebrewer here!)

Never thought of that! I still wouldn't spray it directly on my mics. It is acid based and wouldn't want to damage the element. I guess if you removed the balls first though and then let them dry, it would be OK.

BTW, don't drink it... ;)

LOL...It's rather tart! I have gotten a mouthful of this supposed "deadly paint stripper" more than once starting a siphon :lol: It is a food grade, no rinse sanitizer and couldn't even come close to stripping paint! Full strength out of the bottle, maybe, but that would be completely unnecessary for sanitation and completely against the label instructions. In fact, the creator has drank a glass of the recommended dilution (1oz to 5 Gallons of water) during demonstrations to PROVE it's safety in the brewing world.

SoftJock Rick said:
Total BS!

I use Star San on everything -- it's used all over in the food and brewing industry. It requires no rinsing.

You dilute 1 oz to 5 gallons of water -- you don't pour it on full strength -- it's an acid silly... :sqrolleyes:

Turns Chrome black. Also murders silver jewelry if you happen to get near any. if not diluted properly. The "fun to watch" part is when it lands on an alkali based item......:sqwink: Wipe only- don't spray.

Rick,

Didn't google it, didn't need to, that was the name of the stuff we used to clean and strip the grease and paint off of railway shocks at Koni, we used Methylethylketone to clean and strip aluminum race car shocks! Rebuilds were part of my job there!

It wasn't used in a diluted solution, but water was used to stop the process!

We just detailed our mics and there were chewed up peanuts inside one of them. Does that make you sick or what?

Thunder said:
Rick,

Didn't google it, didn't need to, that was the name of the stuff we used to clean and strip the grease and paint off of railway shocks at Koni, we used Methylethylketone to clean and strip aluminum race car shocks! Rebuilds were part of my job there!

It wasn't used in a diluted solution, but water was used to stop the process!

Ahhh good old MEK I remember using that while making surfboards. Whew what a high, think some of my brain cells are still recuperating.

Yea that will take anything off of anything:sqwink:

MEK!?!!?!?!? I wish I could still get the stuff! We used it when I was in the military to clean up glycol from the dummy loads on the radars.

We'd send some new guy over with a styrofoam cup to get some MEK to clean something up and we'd laugh as it ate through the cup, and then splashed all over the guys boots - eating off the polish and anything else that happened to be on them!

Used it to clean printers too. But one little complaint about cancer or something or other and BAM - can't use the GOOD STUFF to clean with any more...

I think some of you got the wrong stuff mixed up...

Star San is only two chemicals:

Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid -- made for laundry detergents, and Phosphoric Acid.

It's not used for stripping paints, it's not MEK, and it's mixed at 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water for sanitation and cleaning purposes.

Get yer facts straight next time... ;)

Rick,

I very well could be wrong I am basing this on memory from back in the mid to late 80's!

But I do remember the glass lined drums had "Star" as the first part of their name and and I was pretty sure that it was "Starsan", it was an acid based stripper/cleaner for ferrous metals.

Thanks,

Apparently not the same stuff, what I am talking about would eat the flesh off your fingers in less than a minute!

My bad, I apologize for my misstatement!

They use the stuff to clean hospital kitchens, restaurant tables, and all sorts of stuff. It's basically similar to the laundry detergent you put in your dishwasher to sanitize, only it foams, then drys quickly so you can eat right off it.

If I get a chance, I'll try on one of my mics, and see if any damage results -- but I've never seen it damage anything yet...

Back