What's new

Seems like Digitalpoint inspired a community - FreeHostForum.com

cpvr

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
Well, I usually don't speak on things like this. But, I found it odd that this community uses the same layout scheme as Digitalpoint's forums. The green color has been DP's default color for a while, hasn't it?

Now tell me why this forum is using the same layout? Are they inspired by DP or something or trying to be like them?

http://www.freehostforum.com/forum.php
They're not that small either
Threads 35,018

Posts 169,093
Members 41,551
Welcome to our newest member, jofee

There are currently 1181 users online. 16 members and 1165 guests

I'm guessing their online count has to be "Fixed" or something so the stats are higher:

With that type of stats, and so little users online - do you think they're lying in their stats? That's what I think as well because those type of stats are unheard of, unless you're pulling users and rank well on a lot of keywords, and have a good marketing plan down.

But, anyways, am I blowing smoke here or do you feel the same way?

With the amount of forums that they have, you would think they're running it for money and trying to milk the webmaster's community, but I'm not buying it.

Although that looks completely like Digital Point forums, all they're really doing is using the same combination of colors, nothing more. I don't think that can be considered infringement of any sort. Not sure where that site is hosted but if I'm not mistaken, in the United States, color usage can be trademarked only if those colors serve to identify the source/manufacturer of a product and nothing else.

Still it is understandable of it annoys the person being copied. :p

Even though I think they were indeed trying to copy DP's style hoping to get some of their traffic, I also think it would be more egregious if they used the same status icons, etc.
In the end of the day its just a color and its bound to happen given the number of forums.

Basically people are retarded. People think that things like the colors you use are why your site is successful. lol

Someone basically ripped our color scheme and put it on vB.org (the one that does a poor job of ripping our style is "Digital Forums") lol... http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=232049

Someone did the same thing to our vB3 style too. :) http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173775

I think its a bad idea to copy another's site because it makes you look like a copycat, however, its actual technique that people will use colors to help with their marketing techniques. Some colors will put some people in a different mood, its true, too. Walmart changed a lot of their stuff based on polls from customers. Like the smiley face tended to make some female customers unhappy and they ditched that idea and went with that star thing they use now. I think in the forum world, it really depends on the niche when it comes to color marketing. I tend to stick with red a lot. On my cycling forum, I went with yellow because yellow (yellow jersey) is often associated with cycling. On my skywarn forum, I went with red because its a part of the official color of the skywarn program :) On my conspiracy forum, I used a combination of green and black to almost give a sci-fi feel. I really do feel that colors can sometimes help... though I don't feel that makes me retarded... >_<

I can't believe why, when there are millions of ways to design your site, you'd copy another one. But, well, that's how some people want to build their brand :D

Back