Shocked, Appalled and Embarrassed....

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
...... that "my" government would have the audacity to actually SUE a state of people reaching out for help and protection, because that government doesn't have the DECENCY to do its job, to enforce its laws.

My heart goes out to the people of Arizona and other border states, begging for protection for themselves and their families. Our president didn't even have the decency to go to Arizona to see for himself the fear that people there live with every day, to see for himself how serious the situation is.

Oh, and before you tell me that we, as Americans, have been unfair to other people, over time, around the world, may I just say that these are OUR people, citizens of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA..... that our government is choosing to not protect, to sue, to make fun of... its own STATE of citizens.

I am speechless. I am in tears. I am embarrassed to be an American.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/07/obama_will_sue_to_overturn_imm.html
It's official: Obama admin will sue Arizona

So it's official: Obama's Justice Department will announce this week that it's suing Arizona to overturn the onerous immigration law.
In case you doubt that this will revive the national yelling match over immigration, the two Republican Senators from Arizona, John McCain and Jon Kyl, are already out with a statement bashing the decision as proof that the Obama administration is weak on enforcement:
"The American people must wonder whether the Obama Administration is really committed to securing the border when it sues a state that is simply trying to protect its people by enforcing immigration law.
"Attorney General Holder speaks of the 'federal government's responsibility' to enforce immigration laws; but what are the people of Arizona left to do when the federal government fails in its responsibility? "The Obama Administration has not done everything it can do to protect the people of Arizona from the violence and crime illegal immigration brings to our state. Until it does, the federal government should not be suing Arizona on the grounds that immigration enforcement is solely a federal responsibility."
It will be interesting to see how directly Obama takes ownership of the lawsuit, given that it's being initiated by his Justice Department, which in theory makes such decisions independently.
The White House is reported to be worried that Obama's dip in popularity among Latinos will adversely impact the 2010 and 2012 elections. Harry Reid also needs big Latino support to win reelection. Hence Obama's recent high-profile speech on immigration reform. In that speech, Obama didn't lay out any specific policies or timelines, leading many to speculate that immigration reform may not move this year.
But a major, high-profile lawsuit like this one could do nearly as much as a legislative push on the issue to excite Latino and other Dem base voters, at least in the short term. It could restart the national argument over immigration, push the issue to the forefront again, and demonstrate the Obama administration's willingness to use the power of the Federal government to defend Latinos' civil rights. Gonna get hot.
UPDATE, 2:35 p.m.: It's officially official: Here's the lawsuit [pdf] that Obama's Justice Department has now filed against Arizona.

By Greg Sargent | July 6, 2010; 1:15 PM ET

It makes me sick what our "president" is doing. You couldn't pay me enough to live in AZ and deal with the fear that those CITIZENS do every day. They deserve to be able to protect themselves.

I heard this on the news before.

They don't do a f*cking thing, let AZ and other states get dumped on, make them deal with all the exhorbinant costs associated with illegals (schools, medical, police etc) and sit with their hands folded. Now when AZ finally grows balls and takes it on, the Feds are pissed.

Is this the point where I can honestly say I kinda understand people that hate the government?

I'm so fed up with the government. They help the scumbags who won't work & **** on the people who have worked all their lives & in this economy need a little help.Then sue a state trying to enforce actual laws. Sickening & i agree with all the above posters.

The law is the law & if you're here illegally-get the **** out.

This IS truly sad, sad, sad. What is wrong with people?

wow, sueing a state for upholding laws...not MAKING their own...just enforcing existing ones. Incredible. He promised change...and we're seeing it.

wow, sueing a state for upholding laws...not MAKING their own...just enforcing existing ones. Incredible. He promised change...and we're seeing it.

Exactly. Everyone wanted change so they voted for him. Unfortunately they didn't realize the kinds of changes he was planning on making.

If only I had more time I would chime in on this thread (impending GC trip). This seems like a juicy topic for me.

Some things that I think of off the top of my head:

Would any of you be ok if regular police officers were allowed to pursue any federal crime they so wish?

What are your thoughts on vigilantism? Do you think this fits in that category?

Also about the shocking, appalling, and embarrassment issues. This is America where you have the right to do shocking, appalling, and embarrassing things. Would you have it any other way?

M

Also about the shocking, appalling, and embarrassment issues. This is America where you have the right to do shocking, appalling, and embarrassing things. Would you have it any other way?

M

You have the right to do whatever you like within reason, but you must abide by the LAWS regarding that right.

You have the right to do whatever you like within reason, but you must abide by the LAWS regarding that right.

Correct. I meant to put that in. Just that I'm between putting things in my car for my trip and making arrangements for my daughter and pets to stay at Grams. So I'm a bit rushed.

Those same laws are what this Obama official is suing Arizona about, just to be clear. He has every right to sue.

M

Correct. I meant to put that in. Just that I'm between putting things in my car for my trip and making arrangements for my daughter and pets to stay at Grams. So I'm a bit rushed.

Those same laws are what this Obama official is suing Arizona about, just to be clear. He has every right to sue.

M

and Arizona has every right to enforce the law.

Lawsuits are the American way now. You can sue anyone for anything. Don't mean you'll win, but you can bring a suit.

Not if it infringes on the rights of regular law abiding citizens.

M

There is the rub. There are many things that infringes on regular law abiding citizens. What about drunk driving check stops, where they corral every car coming down the street and check them?

In NYC they search your car visually and with dogs in front of my building. All mail that comes through here also gets "sniffed".

Also in NYC they do random searches of your bags when you get on the subway.

Why can't AZ ask for ID?

There is the rub. There are many things that infringes on regular law abiding citizens. What about drunk driving check stops, where they corral every car coming down the street and check them?

In NYC they search your car visually and with dogs in front of my building. All mail that comes through here also gets "sniffed".

Why can't AZ ask for ID?

I don't necessarily agree with drunk driving check points and how they handle them either.

I didn't say AZ couldn't ask for ID. I just have issues on "who" and "how" they intend on asking for ID.

M

Why can't AZ ask for ID?

Exactly. Same thing with airport screening. I'm sure everyone would love to get to the airport 15 minutes before their flight and just walk right on the plane, but because of actions that were taken, average ordinary citizens must be subjected to screening.

I don't necessarily agree with drunk driving check points and how they handle them either.

I didn't say AZ couldn't ask for ID. I just have issues on "who" and "how" they intend on asking for ID.

M

Just because you have issues with it doesn't make it wrong or illegal.
Apparently Arizona has issues with "who" is living in their state and "who" is taking advantage of their services. :surrender:

Just because you have issues with it doesn't make it wrong or illegal.

It doesn't make it illegal but it questions whether it is or isn't legal. Which is my point.

Also about airport screening. People have the choice to go to the airport. If you were living in Arizona then this law is passed and you fit the criteria of who is going to be screened. You are being infringed on. Your only choice is to move which shouldn't be the case. In other words you don't have a choice unless you give up a certain amount of your privacy.

M

I miss Reagan, I sooooooo miss Ronald Reagan, even though he was an actor ;)

Back