What's new

Should cricket be included in Olympics?

Cricket is actually one of the most popular sports in the world in terms of numbers because India has a population of over 1 billion and the nation is obsessed with cricket. In terms of television viewership, cricket is one of the most popular.

If you included cricket on this basis then - you must also include American Football as its HUGE in one nation!

Although I'm a huge cricket fan, i feel it should not be in the olympics. Its not popular enough and also its very time consuming. Some would say T20 cricket is shorter but then again i don't think t20 format deserves to represent cricket as a sport.

The only problem with cricket is the pitches and the ground, you would practically have to custom build a stadium for the sole purpose of cricket. It'll be fine in England, Aussie etc but realistically can you see cricket in Russia, Brazil etc?

Where would it end in this case then? Could jump rope be included? Or hopscotch? or darts? or how about Wipeout the TV show?

You seem to be a person that thinks your personal opinion should override demand.

IF the people want it. IF it's already a recognized sport. THEN YES, it is viable for the Olympics.

Your ONLY claim to saying it shouldn't be in the Olympics is "I think it sucks".

No I don't think it should. I doubt anyone would watch it, it just doesn't have enough popularity.

I've never really watch cricket in all honesty but its has a large following from what Ive learned. Why not?

No. The rules are very complicated and matches take up TOO LONG, so, Dear God, please no.

Olympics is about sports that all the people around the globe play, Cricket is just not popular enough.
"It will surely motivate other nations to learn this game and make it more competitive." It is supposed to be the other way around my dear friend :)

If you included cricket on this basis then - you must also include American Football as its HUGE in one nation!

I am not arguing for cricket to be included in the Olympics. I would take away most of the sports with Olympic status. I'm arguing cricket is popular, one of the most watched sports in the world.

I've never really watch cricket in all honesty but its has a large following from what Ive learned. Why not?

Because the Olympics was originally a track and field event. By including so many sports we are losing the essence of what the Olympics is supposed to be.

The introduction of a sport to the Olympics should not be based on the popularity of the sport. If it is based on popularity, why are beach volleyball, fencing, and water polo included?

T20 cricket could be included, only the commonwealth nations would actually stand a chance in it for a few years but it would help boost the popularity of cricket by having it on the world stage, it is unlikely that this will ever happen though. Cricket is an acquired taste.

If baseball isn't included then cricket should not be. Baseball is the more popular sport worldwide with more competition and competitors and it gets axed from the Olympics so Cricket should be on the "no" list as well.

I agree. There are other sports that should be included in the Olympics and I think baseball is one of them.

Well I don't think that either baseball or cricket, or any other major sport for that matter, should be included in the Olympics. That is not what the Olympics are about. They are about other events, such as track and field, that are not really considered major sports. The Olympics, I think, should not be a place to play major sports.

Cricket was once in the olympics but can anyone name the team that are still the current olympic gold medalists?

I'm inclined to say no as I really don't like cricket, but there are some valid arguments for its inclusion in the Olympics. I agree that it would have to be the faster 2020 version and it could get more people interested in the sport. And it would give England a decent chance of a medal which is a good thing lol

I think Cricket isn't popular enough to be included in the Olympics, very few countries play it actually. Instead, if I had to add a new sport to the olympics, it would be Rugby definitely

Back