What's new

so sad.. NOT!!!

WaterB

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
S3's finally closing Diamond.. good riddance.. diamond had a good TNT2 card but that's it.. it had horrible drivers through out the company's short short lifespan.. after S3 bought diamond it was all over...
*sigh* oh well

Actually, Diamond tended to make good products, and their drivers were actually pretty good.
I think your complaint is geared more towards the frequency with which they updated their drivers, which was almost never. When the drivers were released, they were usually pretty fast. Unfortunately, they never updated them to perform on par with the updated drivers from other manufacturers.

Good quality drivers for good quality products that were never updated. The lack of updates was what seperated them from the "good" manufacturers, and what eventually led to their downfall.

I still have a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 working in an NT Server/Linux box. Never a problem with it yet, and it's survived through my P100, K6-233, and Celeron 300 before finally settling in the server.

----------------------------
I am Jack's raging inflamed colon. Jack applies ointment daily to supress my fury.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I have 2 Fireport 40 Dual cards that work flawlessly.
Heaven forbid that I lose the driver disk, though, since Diamond dropped driver support for them long ago, and dropped the archived drivers from their site shortly after that.
If I lose those disks, the only thing that will save me is that the Windows generic drivers will get the thing running, and Linux has support for the Symbios chipset.

----------------------------
I am Jack's raging inflamed colon. Jack applies ointment daily to supress my fury.

Like Dan, I've had excellent luck with Diamond video products & their Fireport SCSI cards. I've built over 100 computers, and I've put Diamond video cards in ALL of them. I've only had one fail, and it was a Viper V770 Ultra in my machine. I started using the Stealth 3D 2000, and worked through the Viper V330, V550, & V770.

Driver updates do tend to be as regular as the truth coming from the President, though.

Ski Bum

DMM was GREAT untill S3 picked them up...

What will happen with the RIO? Will it be called
the "S3 RIO" now? booo

I've got a Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM in my old 486. That thing is an EXCELLENT card, even by today's, 2D standards. With powerstrip, I can make that card do 1024x768 in 16 bit color at 75-85 Hz refresh. Talk about impressed.
smile.gif
I was pleased with that card.

I've also had a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 and a Diamond Monster 3D. Both excellent cards in their own right. I generally liked Diamond products.

Back