What's new

Sports over computer - how to lure our kids to sports???

Mommyjoyce

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I myself was an athlete in high school and college, and believe in the wellness and fitness brought about by physical sports. But my sons can't be lured to engage in sports! They always prefer to be on the computer.

When they were very young, I always bought basketballs, badminton, volleyball, etc... to start them on sports. But other than occasionally bring them to school, I'm the only one who still dribbles the ball, so to speak!

Now, they're 20, 24 and 25; harder to prod them to go sporty. So I'm telling you younger parents to start dwelling on how to inspire your little kids to go into sports. It's now or never!

Oh, you are SO right !!!

My husband and I have sports backgrounds similar to your own, but his kids live with their mother, who does not encourage them to do anything else. She allows them to repeat the behavior of your sons, and has no problem with electronic babysitters.

My step-sons -- 17 and 12 -- come to visit every Saturday. THEY want the electronics. Husband says “NO” and shoves them out the door. He has to MAKE them play extreme frisbee, and go hiking and mountain biking. They’re a little more cooperative about swimming in good weather, but not a whole lot more.

WARNING: This is CRAP -- shove ’em out the door and lock it !!!

I was very active in my younger years. There was never a day when I wasn't outside playing! I remember I'd always get yelled at for staying outside too long. Nowadays kids are being scolded for not going out. :\

Anyways, I guess an easy way of getting them to play sports is actually playing sports with them. Maybe take them to sporting events or go to a sports camp with them. Something both of you would enjoy and would benefit them more.

I plan on throwing a football around, playing catch with a baseball and mitt, and shooting hoops with my (future) child every chance I get. My dad did that with me, and looking back, they are some of the best memories of my childhood.

I won't give my kid the option of sitting in from of video games or a tv or a computer all day like some parents do. I didn't even have video games when I was a kid, I finally bought an Xbox when I was 15, with my own money. I think it will be the same way with my kids.

I plan on throwing a football around, playing catch with a baseball and mitt, and shooting hoops with my (future) child every chance I get. My dad did that with me, and looking back, they are some of the best memories of my childhood.

I won't give my kid the option of sitting in from of video games or a tv or a computer all day like some parents do. I didn't even have video games when I was a kid, I finally bought an Xbox when I was 15, with my own money. I think it will be the same way with my kids.

Exactly what I plan on doing. I was always outside shooting hoops or throwing the basball on the roof letting it roll back down to catch it. Loved being outside and miss it now that I'm always inside working and in classes.
Living 6 miles from the city helped too. No internet untill I moved out.

I think the biggest hurdle is actually getting them out to try things in the first place. Once you've managed that and found something they love then it will hopefully pick up from there. It was swimming for me when i was young, I would go almost every day in the school holidays! Another factor is seeing whether or not your child is competitive. I wasn't, so was turned off when it was all about winning. I prefer to do things purely for the fun of it.

Playing sports with your kids will not only make them physically fit. Most of all, it makes a very treasured moment for a parent and a child. Let's take our kids out and don't allow computers to ruin their precious childhood.

Back