What's new

Still saving money during deal drought?

Take the whole family to the new Pete's Market on Roosevelt in Oakbrook Terrace - you would not believe how much sampling you are forced to do. Seriously, they gave me half a container of shrimp ****tail and the same of their shrimp/crab cerviche! Apologized for not having spoons handy. Imported cheese, salami, you name it. Look at something and they're pushing you to try it.

But, how much of it did you then end up BUYING... :lol:

I am spending more on things like laundry soap....let's face it 3/$1 All is never coming back.

Hey Barb have you and the kids tried making laundry soap? We've done it a couple time (liquid one) and it works great. :)

I get fresh produce from Aldi, spent about $10/week, still have a good stockpile of meat and H&B products. Also hit Walgreen for MMs and use the RRs at Menards for things that we need to setup a backyard garden. I hope to have enough produce from the garden for the summer and fall and may be some extra to freeze/can.

I'm still doing fair, some weeks are better, some are not.

I've been able to utilize doubles at Piggly Wiggly for things we actually want/need, not just free crap, kwim?

Today I went to Aldi. For just under $30 I got two bags of produce, bread, milk, 2 lbs of boobs, kielbasa, and a pork tenderloin. Needed some of the essentials.

My stockpile has been a lifesaver. I'm worried about what happens when I run out of some of those things that I had a 2 year supply of. I have learned to restock on something that I use all the time even if it's not free or super cheap the way it used to be. Paper goods and cleaning, if I can get pretty cheap, I will always get more because I'll always need it and the free and super cheap deals of the past are gone so if I can get Scrubbing Bubbles for 1.00, I'm stocking up because it won't ever be free again KWIM.

Does anyone besides me still hive remnants of free scrubbing bubbles and winded from doms a few years ago when it wa s MM?? totally agree about being thankful for the stockpile I DO have, because I'm not desperate on staples (yet!!) my stock up prices sure have changed, though!!

I was feeling nervous recently because we were low on meat....but I've found good clearance meats at Doms', Meijer and Aldi recently....stocked up on Ground turkey, ground beef, loose Italian sausage, some country ribs....For a week or so there all I had in the freezer was whole chickens and one small ham, that made me nervous.

Glad to have enough saved up to last a couple of months, with variety.

I'm going to Aldi tons more than usual. I wish they sold loose dry beans there besides Pinto.

Those of you who soak/cook beans, where do you buy? I wanted black beans so I got some at Doms....but store brand were $1.49 for 1 lb. There's got to be a better price than that somewhere. Maybe Tony's?

I think I still do pretty good all in all....my budget is $300 p/m for a family of 4. I just started mint.com to track my spending. To date for groceries I am at $150 for the month. I really stocked up on soda and Powerade. This week I need meat so I will be going to Butera. DH and DS are yammering for steak! I started couponing right at the time it was changing. I was the newbie on Jill's site that posted the info on YB's! Then we had a spring to remember and then it pretty much all dried up! So all you Cw's that remember the real great deals, I'm jealous but never experienced it. I just live vicariously through all your stories. :lol:

Does anyone besides me still hive remnants of free scrubbing bubbles and winded from doms a few years ago when it wa s MM?? totally agree about being thankful for the stockpile I DO have, because I'm not desperate on staples (yet!!) my stock up prices sure have changed, though!!

I sure do remember when Doms had free Pledge, Windex, and Scrubbing Bubbles every couple of months. I hit those deals hard and stocked up big time but unloaded a lot of that stuff in garage sales because DH complained about how much space it was taking up in the garage. I wasn't worried about replacing it because there was always another deal around the corner. If I had known then what would happen, I would have kept it all, esp since I now have a cleaning lady that loves Windex and seems to drink it by the gallon and I can never have enough.

I have being just buying the essentials since the end of the frozen deal at Doms. I wanted to keep my cash for the deal at wags this week. We were able to special order and its already in. My plan is to stock up on meat for the Summer and anything else that we are running low on. I kind of liked the break the last few weeks, i was able to focus on other chores that have been put on the long finger.

Anyone ever consider how much STUFF you would have and how much LONGER it would be lasting you if you hadn't given so much away?

I am not saying the food pantry....and things with real expiration dates. I am talking about the laudry soap that seemed near free for YEARS that you gave to friends and family.....or the MrClean that seemed a lifetime supply that is down to 3 dusty bottles.

I gave away so much stuff to friends, family, neighbors, and the food pantry back in the day. Sometimes I have regrets but when I feel that way, I like to think that they needed the items more than I do so it's for a good cause.

I really noticed it this past Thanksgiving/Christmas. My M-I-L's church does a food drive for the food pantry. The last 4 (or so) years she got teased that over 1/2 the food collected came from her (me). Remember the free/MM progresso soups? The darn near free peanut butter, the oils ect...Oh yeah those found tons of new homes via her van. They teased but they were very grateful for it. This year I told her the deals just are not there, I am so sorry but I won't be able to donate like I have. I felt really bad but there wasn't a thing I could do.

I am not shopping jewel much at all... mostly ethnic markets as most of the fruits/veggies are MUCH cheaper. I do like Jewel or Piggly Wiggly for the lunchmeats though. I don't really care for Aldi's lunchmeats, especially.

I have very LITTLE space to stockpile so I NEVER had a huge one to begin with and DH definitely ****es about it but I also tell him I could go back to paying full price for everything and then he quits complaining...I am paying more than I was in 2010 when Jewel was my new BFF. I am sad not getting free popcorn and free HC soups and meals etc, etc. I am still saving money but I have to put time and effort into it and that still costs me overall. I have been trying to cut back on consumption in general though and like Barb said we DON"T NEED some of the free stuff I was getting but I now hate paying full price...and I've gone back to aldi as well for staples that I need cheap. Other than that Dom's is still my friend and Jewel is a joke...miss the super cheap and free stuff though what w/gas prices being sky high I can't afford to pay for both.

Back