What's new

Suggestions for Day Trips w/DS 11

0coupon0

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a place that is good and out of the norm? Thinking 2 hours or so max outside Chicago. Was thinking Peoria Zoo and State Park tomorrow but 3 hrs is a bit much.

Went to Milwaukee Zoo last week, prob do Great America this week.

Not saying a Zoo is out of the norm, it's just not Lincoln Park or Brookfield.

How about a daytrip out to Raging Waves in Yorkville? It's a great waterpark with a really nice wavepool and awesome slides. They just added a zipline too (for an additional cost) You could lounge in the lazy river and if you need to keep costs down you can pack a picnic lunch and eat in the parking lot. Free parking.

Summerfest in Milwaukee? Or all of the other Fests at the fairgrounds.

County Fairs, water parks, starved rock, horseback riding, strawberry picking, boat tours on Lake Michigan, the dunes in Michigan

The Racine zoo is small, but nice. They have new stuff. It's $6.50 for adults and $4 for kids. There's an aviary that you walk into and there's hundreds of mostly parakeets flying around and they come and land on you and are really cute and pretty. My DS's loved it.

The Racine zoo is small, but nice. They have new stuff. It's $6.50 for adults and $4 for kids. There's an aviary that you walk into and there's hundreds of mostly parakeets flying around and they come and land on you and are really cute and pretty. My DS's loved it.

OMG! They had that as a temp exhibit at the Milwaukee zoo a year or so ago and DS LOVED it! Racine is 1:30 from me and is now on the to do list!

Madison makes it just under 2:30 :) sweet

To old for the Betty and Discovery World is a great museum. Milwaukee really does have a lot to offer.

OMG! They had that as a temp exhibit at the Milwaukee zoo a year or so ago and DS LOVED it! Racine is 1:30 from me and is now on the to do list!

Not sure which route you'll take there, but Racine has rough spots on the way to the zoo. The actual area the zoo is in is beautiful, but getting there coming south can be rough. You'll drive past the zoo on the right about a block then turn left to the parking area (not big).

Bring hand sanitizer and you can bring food in. :)

How about a daytrip out to Raging Waves in Yorkville? It's a great waterpark with a really nice wavepool and awesome slides. They just added a zipline too (for an additional cost) You could lounge in the lazy river and if you need to keep costs down you can pack a picnic lunch and eat in the parking lot. Free parking.
Would like to take my son here at the end of July, had anyone seen coupons for this place?

Was free for YEARS....I didn't know they were charging now

Yeah it kinda sucks BUT it's a LOT nicer than it used to be with lots of new stuffs. :cartwheel:

Renaissance Faire in Bristol WI is cool....and the Jelly Belly Factory (if you're looking for an indoor outing) is always a hit!

Did they finally replace the elephant?

I don't recall an elephant.

Renaissance Faire in Bristol WI is cool....and the Jelly Belly Factory (if you're looking for an indoor outing) is always a hit!

Not worth the trip for an 11 year old. It's in my town. They don't make anything there, just a redistribution place with a gift shop.

But the Ren Faire is cool!

If you feel like heading toward IN the Michigan City Zoo is nice but small but the bonus is you're right next to the Lake Michigan Dunes. Very pretty, free and fun for an 11 yo to climb all day if he's like mine. You can do both and make a fun day out of it and bring your own lunch to eat on the beach.

Not worth the trip for an 11 year old. It's in my town. They don't make anything there, just a redistribution place with a gift shop.

But the Ren Faire is cool!

I thought Jelly Belly in Pleasant Prairie made Jelly Beans? Maybe I'm wrong? It's been years since I've been there so I can't recall and may be wrong.

Back