What's new

Supreme Court Of Canada Reserves Judgment In Gay Bookstore Case

I have always wanted to write a book, but I think I'm not far enough in my life to take a book to it's full potential. Besides if I was going to write a book it would be about parts of human history that are frowned upon by the general public and things they neglect to teach you in school.

Nightshade200 said:
I have always wanted to write a book, but I think I'm not far enough in my life to take a book to it's full potential. Besides if I was going to write a book it would be about parts of human history that are frowned upon by the general public and things they neglect to teach you in school.

Sounds like it would be a very interesting book... I'd probably read it!

I don't think I have done enough research and I would need to broaden my scope of history a bit more.

Nightshade200 said:

I see we have a future writer on hand, can't wait to read that!

Historic Censorship Battle

Since 1986, Little Sister's has fought against Canada Customs' right to censor books and magazines at the Canadian border. With ample obscenity legislation in place within Canada, the delicate decision making process of what material is allowed and what is banned in this country should not be left to whims of Customs officers.

In March, 2000, Little Sister's took their case to the Supreme Court of Canada. The links below offer a chronological view into this historic censorship battle, from the launch of the suit, through the BC Supreme Court, the BC Court of Appeals, and beyond. It is our hope to offer insight into some of the complicated and sensitive issues in our court case, as well as reflect the investment in time, energy, and money required for this case to be heard.

For further references, resources, and media contacts, please feel free to get in touch with the store by phone, fax, or email.

Little Sister's
1238 Davie Street
Vancouver, B.C.
Canada, V6E 1N3
1 800 567-1662

ANGLOIRISH said:
Go for it Nightshade! Write that book!
I should probably take some sort of writing class at the community college before I even try.

Black Mage said:
Well, I'm sure that if they started shipping terrorists in big boxes with big stickers and markings in abundance indicating what it is and where it is bound for, I'm sure our Border Guards would be certainly more than able to catch them. But alas, no, those wily terrorists resort to other methods such as smuggling and falsifying passports.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know funny and that is funny. Priceless. Thanks for the good laugh.

Nightshade200 said:
I should probably take some sort of writing class at the community college before I even try.
If you have the writer in your blood, a course is nice but not necessary. J.K. Rowling author of the Harry Potter books didn't have English or writing classes!

Do you really need to take classes to write and publish a book? I though many people write books and don't have any training for it?

No anyone can attempt to write a book...good luck finding a publisher, however.

You know how many people probably bring in books for publishers to look at?!?! They might give them a glance...and forget it if it doesn't grab them right off.

Actually I just verified on J.K. Rowlings site that she sent her first 3 chapters of her novel to two agents, the first one sent it back ASAP, and the second asked to see her. It took a year to find a publisher to publish it. So if someone like her can write something that has had such success imagine, Joe Blow trying to get a book published.

That sucks, now a days you need a college degree to do anything.

Not necessarily...I am sure that their are lots of authors without a college or university education. But one needs a good command of the language to write a book.

And as far as education goes I am doing a job that someone with no education besides high school could do....and I have 2 diplomas and a certificate, besides my high school education. And I graduated with Honours and was first in my class!

I think they should base the book on the story not on how it is written, if it needs to be re-worded they should have people do it. I am in college now and its a pain in the ****, I wish I could learn on the job but according to everyone I ask they say it doesn't really exist anymore.

Smart cookie there BB. Proud of you! Now start our own business! You have the smarts!

Thanks, Irish. One thing at a time. Just trying to get back on feet right now. :)

Now back to the thread topic: Supreme Court Of Canada Reserves Judgment In Gay Bookstore Case

Back