What's new

**** Talk - I need some relief for my rack

Pumping is a huge chore sometimes! I worked while my five oldest were little & sometimes it seemed that I'd never be finished with the pumping/ storing/ parts cleaning routine. But I was able to nurse all of them for at least a year so it was worth it for me.

Man is it ever. I loose track of time and get behind schedule here at work all the time. I never seem to have enough time. Doesn't help when I have ****bag here at work trying to get into my office while I am pumping.

Soak the breast in warm water for 10-15 min, then massage and pump or express the milk by hand. It takes some contorting, but it feels so good when you are hurting and the milk comes easier. Soaking a rag in really warm water and wrapping the breast in it helps too, but not as well, and it's a pain to try and keep the rag warm. I have had so many plugged ducts, but never mastitis -- treating them quickly with this method always worked for me.

I had a very bad case of mastitis almost three years ago and soaking was a big help. Everyone has given you great advice here. Two things I would add. If you do think you have plugged ducts, pay attention to whether you start feeling like you have the flu or run a fever. Those are signs of mastitis...and you'll need to call your doc for antibiotics. I know it's hard to tell when you're already so sleep deprived, though!

Also, another helpful way to clear a plugged duct is to change the baby's position...I'm not sure if you're nursing and pumping or just pumping...but if you are nursing, be sure to change positions a lot. When I had mastitis, we finally got my duct open by having me lay in bed on my side and a lactation consultant place my baby laying beside me, but upside down. In other words, my feet were facing the footboard but the baby's were facing the headboard, if you can picture that. Sara, the baby, couldn't have cared less and after a couple sessions that way, it finally cleared. And the changing positions helps prevent nipple soreness, too.

I pumped "Full-Time" for over a year (only nursed at night), so understand what you are going through.

Is it your breast that is hurting, or the nipples? (or both).

If it is the breast, then it sounds like you are not getting all the milk out, or maybe you have a clogged duct. Be sure to pump until they are empty. I pumped just one side at a time, and massaged (ok, it was really squeezed) my breast to ensure all the ducts were emptied. As a point of reference, one side took me about 25-30 minutes (with electric pump), and I produced/pumped between 5 to 8 ounces of milk every 4 hours. After you pump, your breasts should feel better, and when you feel that "pressure" again, just pump again.

If it is your nipples that are hurting, then it may be your shield is too small. Having a shield too small will cause irritation as they are "sucked" into the cylinder, and make your nipples feel like they are chapped. If this is the case, you can buy larger sized shields. Check with your manufacturer for their sizing options. If you have a Medela, they have a helpful informational line where you can speak to someone who can give you advise on the correct size for you.

Good luck! The first few weeks are the hardest, since your body is trying to figure out how much milk to produce for your hungry little one.

Great advice and exactly what I was thinking. Are you engorged and not able to get the milk out or is there a plugged duct?

I am jealous. I have a hospital grade pump (I rent it for $50 a month), pump for 10-15 minutes for 2 oz. That is pumping both sides. I keep trying and think I may try to nurse/pump every 2-3 hours this weekend to see if I can boost the supply. I am considering weaning.

The first day I returned to work, I was able to pump 3-4 oz on each side. And I thought, great this is going to work out just fine!! As time went on, the amount went down to maybe to a total of 2-3 oz each session. Very frustrating and took a lot of time to get that little amount. I

What was happening in my case, was dd was getting too much milk during the day while I was at work and only "comfort" nursing when I got home. It was a supply/demand issue. After talking to a lactation consultant she suggested I go home during lunch to nurse. I was fortunate I lived close to the office and could do that. But on top of all that, I returned to work to a big mess and was super stressed, which I'm sure contributed to the lower milk supply as well. Very difficult to relax, when you have a pile of work sitting in front of you!

The first day I returned to work, I was able to pump 3-4 oz on each side. And I thought, great this is going to work out just fine!! As time went on, the amount went down to maybe to a total of 2-3 oz each session. Very frustrating and took a lot of time to get that little amount. I

What was happening in my case, was dd was getting too much milk during the day while I was at work and only "comfort" nursing when I got home. It was a supply/demand issue. After talking to a lactation consultant she suggested I go home during lunch to nurse. I was fortunate I lived close to the office and could do that. But on top of all that, I returned to work to a big mess and was super stressed, which I'm sure contributed to the lower milk supply as well. Very difficult to relax, when you have a pile of work sitting in front of you!

Yeah, the workload doesn't help. I am always behind on everything because I have so much to do. I wish I lived closer to go home at lunch but I am 40 miles from home. The too much milk thing is a possibility but I am not sure how to fix it in my case.

I am considering weaning.

How old is Dorothy now?

Oops - I see that she is 5 months.

Yes, talk to LLL or the nurse the hospital hooked you up with or pump more often. Drink lotsa water - you can do it!

I wanted to go a year with Lex, but only made it 10 months and those last couple were awful having to pump at work.

Chris, I really think a nurse in weekend would help. Skin to skin, all boob all the time for that sweet baby.

I have never seen a baby so happy to nurse. That girl was great at it from day one. Stick with it, it seems to be something she enjoys so much. And with you working full time, it's one of the special things you can do to bond with her in the evenings and on weekends. She will be little only once. It would be better to regret pumping and nursing for too long rather than regret weaning her too soon.

Yeah, the workload doesn't help. I am always behind on everything because I have so much to do. I wish I lived closer to go home at lunch but I am 40 miles from home. The too much milk thing is a possibility but I am not sure how to fix it in my case.

Is she eating solids yet? That helped relieve some of my stress of producing milk,obviously because she didn't require as much milk.

Chris, I really think a nurse in weekend would help. Skin to skin, all boob all the time for that sweet baby.

I have never seen a baby so happy to nurse. That girl was great at it from day one. Stick with it, it seems to be something she enjoys so much. And with you working full time, it's one of the special things you can do to bond with her in the evenings and on weekends. She will be little only once. It would be better to regret pumping and nursing for too long rather than regret weaning her too soon.

Funny, because I had the same thought. I considered weaning and thought will I regret this if I don't continue? The answer was yes, and I ended up nursing her for almost two years.

The other big stresser was coming home from work. You have been away from baby all day long, and then you have to come home, make dinner, clean up, laundry...you get the point...but at least with nursing you have a way to relax and regroup.

I have a one month old who doesn't nurse, so I'm pumping every 3 hours. My boobs are KILLING ME. Besides the cream to put on them, does anyone have any suggestions to relieve the pain or to make it easier? Anything would be appreciated!! Thanks ya'll, I don't want to give up, he's so worth the pain but I would love to make it easier! :)
If you'd like, I can have you talk to my wife, who is a Lactation Counselor, Lamaze Educator, Birth Doula and Infant Massage instructor. I guarantee she'll be able to help you. Just let me know.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and tips. With my first I soley pumped for a year and had 6 months worth stored up so she had it until she was 18mos old. My nips just seem to be in worse shape this time around, it's so much more painful. I did get bigger breast shields with my dd, so I don't think that's it. The gel pad is a great idea, gonna have to find me some of those. My boobs don't hurt like mastitis or a plugged duct, just more so cracked and chapped nipples. The first few seconds of pumping is like torture, then it gets a bit better. Again, thanks everyone! :)

my niece from an early age hmm maybe 4 months jusy chose NOT to eat while away from mom--then nursed all night--didnt keep sister awake--neice just laid by her side and nursed while sister slept

worked for them AND it was my neice's idea--LOL

btw my sister was gone 9.5 hours a day

I never realized all that goes into breastfeeding.... (Neither of my sons latched on and I gave up :9: ) WOW!!! you really have to be dedicated.....

I am jealous. I have a hospital grade pump (I rent it for $50 a month), pump for 10-15 minutes for 2 oz. That is pumping both sides. I keep trying and think I may try to nurse/pump every 2-3 hours this weekend to see if I can boost the supply. I am considering weaning.

I think you're doing fine. I used to pump to have extra bottles around and would only get 2-3oz. And I was nursing twins. She's probably getting plenty when she nurses.

If you want to try to increase your supply oatmeal and beer (because of the yeast) both help. There's also Fenugreek (probably spelled wrong), which you can find at a vitamin store.

If you'd like, I can have you talk to my wife, who is a Lactation Counselor, Lamaze Educator, Birth Doula and Infant Massage instructor. I guarantee she'll be able to help you. Just let me know.

I meant to take you up on this and maybe I should PM you. I really appreciated the offer, but I was still dealing with the ppmd and had major anxiety about strangers. I wouldn't shop unless I knew the cashier. I would go to the store and leave if I didn't recognize anyone. It was totally wacky.

I still have a little residual anxiety, but when it was full blown it was really bad. Just the idea of speaking to someone I didn't know on the phone would give me a panic attack. I am glad it is finally gone.

Then I came back to work and haven't had time to think since then.

I never realized all that goes into breastfeeding.... (Neither of my sons latched on and I gave up :9: ) WOW!!! you really have to be dedicated.....

nahhh

I call it the lazy way to parent--no getting up in teh middle of the night ( well for me--I co-slept) --no running to the store for food--no spending $$$$$ for food--easy to travel with ( nice ready made packages--LOL)

I meant to take you up on this and maybe I should PM you.
Well, my wife is a kind soul. And like me, she likes to help people.

Unless you wanted her to come to your house (which she will do if needed), it's not like she'll charge people just to talk to her about the issues.

Back