What's new

tax time in the US

Eison

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Well, tax season has begun and it nears time to either pay the piper or get a gift from your uncle sam. So how do you usually handle this task? Do you file quickly or wait until the last minute? And how do you file, thru a service, accountant, online or thru the mail?

I do my own with HR Block's TaxCut. Then I efile. I usually do mine as soon as my W-2's are in because I typically get a couple grand back (another reason to have kids :lol:)

we use an accountant

we neither wait for the last minute nor file quickly. We usually go see him sometime in early march.

We are very much concerned we will be hit by the AMT (last year we managed to avoid it and got a decent refund).

I always did my own but last year with my selling my house and my mom's passing I went to a service. This year I noticed I didn't get any booklets from the state or federal gov't I guess because I e- filed last year. So I will probably use a service this again and will probably owe again this year.

We had 117 calls for appointments on Monday. I'll come up for air on April 17.

I do my own with HR Block's TaxCut. Then I efile. I usually do mine as soon as my W-2's are in because I typically get a couple grand back (another reason to have kids :lol:)

I want to do that this income tax. Is it easy to use and will I, a college student with books and tuition to deduct, be able to use that to deduct those? Can I deduct gas money aswell seeing as how my school is 40 miles away from my home? How long does it take to get your money back through direct deposit? Can I use it for multiple W2s? ANSWERS ANSWERS ANSWERS! :CONFUSED: Thanks

I want to do that this income tax. Is it easy to use and will I, a college student with books and tuition to deduct, be able to use that to deduct those? Can I deduct gas money aswell seeing as how my school is 40 miles away from my home? How long does it take to get your money back through direct deposit? Can I use it for multiple W2s? ANSWERS ANSWERS ANSWERS! :CONFUSED: Thanks

You will actually be able to get almost a dollar for dollar credit for the books and tuition. The gas to and from is much harder to deduct.

As for the direct deposit, the IRS system works as follows: all the returns they receive from Wednesday midnight thru the next Wednesday midnight are processed in one batch. Assuming the return is accepted as filed electronically, your refund will be in your bank account on the next Friday. The best part? It is free. Someone is trying to rip you off if they want to charge you for it.

Except for one year that involved some interesting W2's and gifts and deductions, I have always done mine myself either thru telefile or e-filing. I don't have any reason to put it off as I'll likely get a decent refund for what I make, but I will still probably lazy my way out of it for another month or so.

tax cut, and immediately upon getting my forms (w4/1099 etc). I efile, and direct deposit my return.

I have usually spent my refund by the end of February.

My wife is a student so we deduct her expenses using taxcut software. We also have in the past calculated and deducted business mileage that our company did not reimburse. In years past we've also had multiple W-2's each though this year we will only have one apiece. It is very easy to use. Basically it asks you questions that you answer and then it fills out and checks the form for you. Then you efile. Depending on whether you buy the basic or deluxe package you'll either pay for the efiling along with the cost of the software or if you buy the basic you'll pay for the efiling separately or can file a paper return. I'd buy the deluxe version at Wally World that includes State and Efiling.

Back