What's new

Teenagers and Trick-or-Treating

reporter20

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
My 15-year-old wants to go trick or treating with friends from school. He was on the football team but in general does not do anything with friends, just football and youth group at church. So, I'd like him to have fun and do things with others outside of school....but just not trick-or-treating at his age.

He thinks since they are friends from the "gifted" program and they are going in a safe neighborhood, that it should be OK. I keep telling him, you have no idea what they will do when out in the night/dark, just because they're smart doesnt mean they'll make good choices. And that they are ALL too old for trick-or-treating, it is for little kids.

Sigh. I'm going to be dealing with a grumpy teen all weekend.

My 15-year-old wants to go trick or treating with friends from school. He was on the football team but in general does not do anything with friends, just football and youth group at church. So, I'd like him to have fun and do things with others outside of school....but just not trick-or-treating at his age.

He thinks since they are friends from the "gifted" program and they are going in a safe neighborhood, that it should be OK. I keep telling him, you have no idea what they will do when out in the night/dark, just because they're smart doesnt mean they'll make good choices. And that they are ALL too old for trick-or-treating, it is for little kids.

Sigh. I'm going to be dealing with a grumpy teen all weekend.

I dont care what age you are when you come trick or treating at my door, as long as you are wearing a costume. Dont knock on my door wearing regular old clothes...u want candy...DRESS UP..age 1 or 100 I dont care...u dont dress up...u get 1 tootsie roll :giggles:

id let him go with his friends he seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders he should be fine walking around the neighborhood

I don't mind giving the older kids candy.They're some of the most entertaining trick or treaters at my door.

I went trick or treating at that age. It was way more fun at 15 for some reason, and we didnt cause any trouble. It was just fun : )

Let him go Momma! He's still a kid. :cartwheel:

I told my 14 yo DD that she was too old to trick or treat. I said if you are taller than the parents, you're too old. She hadn't gone the last 2 years, but I think she wanted to recapture the youth. She was OK w/ it though.

Teenagers are still kids. As long as they're dressed up and respectful what's the big deal?

A few years ago 2 drunk middle aged :quotes: ladies :quotes: (no costumes) came to my door treating. :rolleyes: Frankly I was too skerred NOT to give them candy just so they would go away. :hides:

When I was a kid, my parents made us stop after elementary school. That makes sense to me. He actually hasn't gone since like 3rd grade because we moved to Chicago then and I did NOT feel comfortable taking him around. We started just going to parties at church, friends houses, etc.

Asking strangers for candy is just strange to begin with, but if its so the neighbors can see your cute kids i guess that makes sense...but teenagers?

I wish we had a finished basement so maybe he'd feel comfortable inviting others over. Its among our goals in the next year...but not really there yet.

When I was a kid, my parents made us stop after elementary school. That makes sense to me. He actually hasn't gone since like 3rd grade because we moved to Chicago then and I did NOT feel comfortable taking him around. We started just going to parties at church, friends houses, etc.

Asking strangers for candy is just strange to begin with, but if its so the neighbors can see your cute kids i guess that makes sense...but teenagers?

I wish we had a finished basement so maybe he'd feel comfortable inviting others over. Its among our goals in the next year...but not really there yet.

It doesn't have to be finished.....if you have space then throw some decorations down there and snacks on a card table and let him have some peeps over and tell them to wear costumes. They'll have a blast!
Our basement is only partially finished, but my boys are down there all the time. (cement floor and no ceiling just some bare dry wall)

Our basement is not finished. There is a carpet on the floor and the walls are painted white, but there is no ceiling and no drywall. The kids don't care. They call it their cave. They play video games down there and are staring at the tv anyway.

Mrsmom it sounds like you have the same decorator as me!

Our basement is not finished. There is a carpet on the floor and the walls are painted white, but there is no ceiling and no drywall. The kids don't care. They call it their cave. They play video games down there and are staring at the tv anyway.

Mrsmom it sounds like you have the same decorator as me!

Yep! :lol:

About 7 years ago DH framed it out and put dry wall up and that's the way it stayed.....no ceiling, flooring or nuttin'. It's the place where old furniture goes to die. :lol:

We set up a tv, Wii and playstation down there to live with my stockpile. The kids play games and help themselves to snacks......they couldn't be happier down there!

I STILL trick or treat dressed up and all... I believe Halloween is for ALL old and young... :9: I don't wanna grow up... I am a Trick or Treatin' kid... :giggles:

I also know lots of people that (right or wrong) give the generic candy to the BIG kids trick or treating....chocolate to the little ones...hard candy or Mary Janes to the ones that should buy it tomorrow on clearance at Target.

I usually give gum to the older kids and chocolate and "younger" candy to the lil ones. They all seem to be happy with it......the older ones say "sweet!" when I put a whole pack of gum in their bag. :)

I have over a 100 fruit rollups & lots of Hunt's pudding to give out. I hope i get lots of trick or treaters...young or old.

Yep! :lol:

About 7 years ago DH framed it out and put dry wall up and that's the way it stayed.....no ceiling, flooring or nuttin'. It's the place where old furniture goes to die. :lol:

We set up a tv, Wii and playstation down there to live with my stockpile. The kids play games and help themselves to snacks......they couldn't be happier down there!

well you wouldnt want your stockpile to get bored

like I said u dress up...u get the good stuff, u dont u get a tootsie roll..lol. Im not asking for a fancy costume...just put a little effort into a costume..lol

I remember trick-or-treating until about 13 and even then I felt like I was too old, but still had a blast. That being said, in my neighborhood we get tons of kids from the city and there tend to be just about as many teenagers as younger kids. My kids enjoy handing out candy probably more than actually going door-to-door themselves. I always tell them to give the good stuff to the little ones and the lame stuff to the teenagers, but we always are nice to them and wish them a happy Halloween.

Would you believe that every year I get a handfull of grown **** adults trick-or-treating alone or maybe holding an infant with two bags held out... no costume. Seriously, you people can't go buy your own freaking bag of $2 Halloween candy?? Like that baby in your arms is going to eat that gumball I just gave you that came 100 to a bag from the dollar store (yep, I keep a special stash for those individuals).

I took alex trick or treating as an infant for myself, I dont deny it and stand tall that dangit ,i deserved free chocolate too!!

Back