What's new

The Game Boy will always be on top.

Buster

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this a while ago, but does anybody realize that Nintendo's handheld Game boy francise will never lose its spot at number one. All fanboys have a GBA or have had a Game boy. It has the biggest user base with ever gamer young and old loving what the game boy brings to the table.

Its the only Platform that has support from everyone. Its the cheapest platform with some of the most additive games, granted it doesn't have the best graphics but it makes up for it by being handheld. And since the SP came out the Game Boy has become un stopable.

What are your thoughts on the subject? Do you think Game Boy will ever be dethroned?
Maybe a handheld from microsoft or even sony?

The Game Boy is unstoppable right now, but there's a huge cost to us there. There's no competition. Only one out of twenty games are even playable.

I mean, face it, if Sony and Microsoft were breathing down Nintendo's neck, the GBA would be twice as powerful as it is and we'd be awaiting Super Mario Bros. 8.

I don't think that anybody could put up a good fight, anyways. Even if it is Microsoft or Sony. The GameBoy has always dominated the handheld market. In the past, some competition has come up, such as Sega's GameGear, and that wasn't much of a success. Nintendo is already established very well, and way ahead of the rest. It seems impossible for anybody else to catch up. I agree, it will always be on top. :)

I once saw somewhere that Sony once tried to make something like the gameboy, nobody i know bought it

Personally I think that the Gameboy will be over thrown because every time they make something, as soon as it's released they start making a new one. For example look at the "new" GBA and the old Super Nintendo. Notice that they are pretty much recreating it and most of the games are the same. The only real diff. is that it's smaller. But low and behold the super didn't last long and be assured that nintendo is going to screw up one system and that will be the end of them.:(

Nintendo is doing very well with Gameboy right now, but I have no doubt that Sony or even Microsoft will introduce their own superior handheld in a few years. With the existing customer base that Sony has, they could possibly blow away GB. Nintendo has to get working if they want to keep Gameboy as the leader in the long run.

Gameboy could stay in the top or fall with the upcoming release of "PSP" (Playstation Pocket), or the other possibility could be just a neck and neck competition all the time which is what I would want to see happen... more games for all of us that way :).

Playstations official forum about psp handheld can be found here..

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=psp

The psp is supposidly supposed to be better than a playstation and will be using discs smaller than a gamecubes that can hold 1.8gb. Thats just a rumor but it could be true. I can't wait to read the specs when they come out :)

here's someones idea of what it should look like, this is not official though.... just a members idea of what they think it should look like.

Attachments

• psp.jpg
    psp.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 38
Originally posted by wwizardmaster
Personally I think that the Gameboy will be over thrown because every time they make something, as soon as it's released they start making a new one. For example look at the "new" GBA and the old Super Nintendo. Notice that they are pretty much recreating it and most of the games are the same. The only real diff. is that it's smaller. But low and behold the super didn't last long and be assured that nintendo is going to screw up one system and that will be the end of them.:(

what do you think all of the gaming idustry does... they create systems and then make new ones to release 4 or 5 years down the road. playstation 1 was redone numerous times and I beg to differ about gbasp not changing much.. it has a li-ion battery in it, bigger screen, more compact, and a light which I wonder how I lived without it in the first place.

Actually the screens are the same size. But I am angry at Nintendo for releasing what they should have released in the first place. Everything that was added to the GBA to make the SP version was requested to be added to the "next gameboy" way before the GBA was made. I already bought the regular GBA and I don't feel like I should go drop another wad of cash on Nintendo's feet just so I can have everything I asked for in the first place. Shame on them for holding back the better product to dupe consumers into buying their product twice.

Just saw this photo of the PSP disk size. Here's a Sony official holding up a disk similar (or exact) in size to one that the PSP will use and a regular sized CD.

Attachments

• psp_bestofe32003.jpg
    psp_bestofe32003.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 28
Back