What's new

The Luddite Enters The 21st Century?.....

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Easy folks, I'm still disc based...:sqlaugh:

However, I just bought my first LCD monitor ( TV) for karaoke. WOW! A fifteen inch so light that I thought the box was empty! AWESOME!

$109, so it didn't break the budget. Also, all functions are accessible on the TV as well as on the remote. All required inputs included.

Fits in a softside briefcase, and takes no room.

My only problem is modifying my Auduo 2000 moniter stand for a better grip, though it will work as is.

Oh happy day! Gee, ain't I up to date?!?! :sqcool:

Easy folks, I'm still disc based...:sqlaugh:

However, I just bought my first LCD monitor ( TV) for karaoke. WOW! A fifteen inch so light that I thought the box was empty! AWESOME!

$109, so it didn't break the budget. Also, all functions are accessible on the TV as well as on the remote. All required inputs included.

Fits in a softside briefcase, and takes no room.

My only problem is modifying my Auduo 2000 moniter stand for a better grip, though it will work as is.

Oh happy day! Gee, ain't I up to date?!?! :sqcool:

First off you're an asshat for getting my hopes up only to be dashed by some silly LCD tv purchase.... you suck! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqwink:

As for better grip on that particular stand I'd just use some gaffers tape until you get an LCD tv stand.

I have the options of s/video, composit or VGA on my TV as I'm sure you do too... and since I have to use a converter box to get my computer screen on to a TV I have the option of running my VGA straight thru to the TV or using one of the other outputs.

Since VGA provides the best picture I will configure things with the VGA passthru to my monitor leaving either a s/video or composit video feed for other TV's. Or if there is another HiDef TV with VGA I'll just use a VGA splitter for going into an audience TV. Eventually I'm going to pick up a cheap LCD computer monitor to use instead of a TV and make my load even lighter.

Sorry that was more information then you asked for, I just couldn't stop once I started typeing.

Joe, your title about gave me a heart attack. I thought the number of us plastic pushers was going to dwindle from three to two.

Oh--got my boyfriend a cheapo 10" LCD TV at Walgreens for Christmas and the first thing out of his mouth was.........."This would make a really light karaoke monitor." But a bit small, perhaps for us old folks.

You could take a speaker stand and beat the crap out of it, then slide the monitor down over the flattened end.....:sqerr:

Question?

Joe, your title about gave me a heart attack. I thought the number of us plastic pushers was going to dwindle from three to two.

Oh--got my boyfriend a cheapo 10" LCD TV at Walgreens for Christmas and the first thing out of his mouth was.........."This would make a really light karaoke monitor." But a bit small, perhaps for us old folks.

That's where I got mine -a 15"- never even saw a ten.

No worries about plastic, I'm sticking with them! :sqwink:

Rob, that thread title was specifically for you, and the reaction I was hoping for- You ROCK! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh: As for gaffers tape: I was kinda thinking about sliding lollipop clamps?

Now, due to my lack of LCD experience, I have a question. I don't worry about electronics and cold, as long as the change is gradual. However, I'm not sure how cold affects the actual LCDs. Their properties being what they are, I'm thinking cold might due a number on the display? Any resident LCD techs out there?

Rob, that thread title was specifically for you, and the reaction I was hoping for- You ROCK! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh: As for gaffers tape: I was kinda thinking about sliding lollipop clamps?

Now, due to my lack of LCD experience, I have a question. I don't worry about electronics and cold, as long as the change is gradual. However, I'm not sure how cold affects the actual LCDs. Their properties being what they are, I'm thinking cold might due a number on the display? Any resident LCD techs out there?

I figured you were hopeing for that reaction.... LOL you asshat...:sqwink:

I had my LCD in my van all winter so far and just brought it in last week to use it.... while it was cold I let it warm up before I turned it on for about 30 minutes.... snapped right on no problem....

I'm no expert or anything but I would say it would depend on how cold is cold.

The weather here can get to around -30C with the windchill and I wouldn't leave ANY kind of electronics in the car with that kind of weather.

If you're really worried about it, you could always get an insulated case or make one yourself *just cut out the foam to fit the monitor*

-James

It can get VERY cold where I live, sometimes down to -40, but more like -20 on a regular basis. I NEVER leave anything with an LCD screen out in the cold. It's just not worth it.
For instance, when liquid freezes, it expands. While I don't really know WHAT it is, exactly, it IS a liquid (LCD = Liquid Crystal Display). It only makes sense to me that whatever the liquid is, it would expand as well, and I seriously doubt that the manus counted on their product being repeatedly frozen and thawed. At the very least, I'm willing to bet that you'll probably shorten it's life, if nothing else.
Another possibility is that while you may leave it to thaw before turning it on, what happens when you're bringing it in from -30 or so and you accidentally knock it or bang it a little? We all know what happens to things when they're frozen. They become MUCH more brittle with a MUCH higher chance of breakage when in such a state.
To be on the safe side, I'd bring it in every night. I know, it's a pain in the behind, but much less so if I know I'm saving myself the replacement cost if it breaks because I was too lazy to bring it in from the cold.

Consider this for a moment... most car radio's are LCD and if you have one of them fancier cars with the 7" backup monitors and GPS systems.... those are not only LCD but also touch screens in most cases....

Do you bring those in out of the car? Can you?

My boss owns a $60,000 Lexus with one of those fancy-dan in dash GPS systems and it seems to be fine in the cold.

I think you're safe just give it time to aclamate once you bring it in out of the cold just like you would your other gear.

Consider this for a moment... most car radio's are LCD and if you have one of them fancier cars with the 7" backup monitors and GPS systems.... those are not only LCD but also touch screens in most cases....

Do you bring those in out of the car? Can you?

My boss owns a $60,000 Lexus with one of those fancy-dan in dash GPS systems and it seems to be fine in the cold.

I think you're safe just give it time to aclamate once you bring it in out of the cold just like you would your other gear.
Good point, however, on my radio in my last car, when it was cold, the LCD would take forever to work (show anything) and then after one particularly cold snap, it quit working altogether. The rest of the stereo worked, radio played, cds played fine, but I had to guess what the screen said because it remained black! Was it really the cold weather that did it or was it coincidence?
Maybe.
Maybe not.
I'll never know, but I can say this: I'm not risking it with my $1700 computer or my LCD TV.

OOPS. Bad discovery about inexpensive LCD TVs- REALLY tight viewing angle...:sqfrown:

I just used a LCD monitor at a private party last week. There was large groups of people singing at one time. There was not any problem with a "tight viewing angle"

I haven't encountered any "tight viewing angle" problems, either. What exactly do you mean, Joe?

Just like with LCD computer screens if you get off axis by more than 30 degrees you will start to lose veiwing! Of course the further away from the screen you are more area that 30 degrees takes in.

There are many types of LCD displays. I should have remembered this, as I used to be a distributor for Okaya. The better - and more expensive - displays have a wider viewing angle. Less expensive displays are pretty much in the 30 deg. range that Steve mentioned.

As you get farther out of the angle, the screen seems to get darker, until it is unreadable.

I don't know enough about the specs of LCD displays to know how achieving the wider angle is done, however my guess would be a combination of lensing over the display and more contrast (brighter? not sure). Again, these are guesses.

Anyway, my monitor should work OK as a singer's monitor, but facing it toward the audience ( which would only be done with a 15" in a tiny venue with no monitors anyway) wouldn't work.

I wish I could post a @#$%^ picture!

Anyway, the platform of my monitor stand has adjustable railings around the back and sides, with a small space in the middle of the back.

I just slid black lollipop clamps ( picture a lollipop on its side O- an adjustible circle like a hose clamp and a protruding 1" long bar) onto the railings! Perfect grip. For added security I put velcro on the TV base and the corresponding spot on the platform.

I had the velcro and clamps in the shop. 5 minutes and life was good!

Thank you all!

Back