What's new

The new Google background image service

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Today Google has surprised users with a radical change in its homepage with the new Google backgrounds. Google background image has broken the sobriety of the search engine in the style of the Microsoft Bing browser.

picture.php

The traditional white background of Google has changed with a colorful full screen image, however, the Google logo appears completely white, not in the usual colors. Users with a Google account can change the background on the homepage with their own images or with the ones that Google offers. However, unregistered users have to view the image continuously.

To change Google theme you just have to click on the ‘Change background image’ button on the bottom left corner of the page. After clicking this link a window appears where you can select the desired background.

[More Info..]

I thought it was pretty cool. Its nice to spice things up from time to time!

Yup, I didn't even notice because I use iGoogle as my home page.

I didn't even know this was a new feature for google. I was just bored last night and seen the button saying change the back ground. I have a photography in a sunset as mine.

Yup, I didn't even notice because I use iGoogle as my home page.

Same here btu it made my switch my homepage to regular Google. :D It's a nice change of pace. iGoogle is nice but despite having 3 different pages with a bunch of feeds I never do anything on it accept open Gmail and Reader in a new tab. They found new homes on my bookmarks toolbar folder.

Copying Bing much? I guess now that the Bing searches are dropping because they busted all the ClubBing botters, google decided to kick it up a notch on them. But yeah they are kinda nice, though I never stay on google after I find what I am looking for so...

Nice bum

Copying Bing much? I guess now that the Bing searches are dropping because they busted all the ClubBing botters, google decided to kick it up a notch on them. But yeah they are kinda nice, though I never stay on google after I find what I am looking for so...

At least you can pick your own pictures. On bing it is whatever they give you...unless they changed it.

Well it didn't last long. They kinda FAIL..

Here is an article about it C&P

INTERNET SEARCH OUTFIT Google pulled its attempt to mimic Microsoft's Bing after an option for people to change its classic minimalist homepage had to be scrapped.

The company "created a gallery of background images" to let users personalize their Google search page. The big idea was that users might want unusual imagery in the background instead of the standard white look.

It expected to try this out for 24 hours but it switched back after just a few hours. The main problem was that Google did not give users the option to revert back to the default homepage.

Some people might have liked the idea, but they did not like being forced to use it. Google said the reason it all went wrong was that an explanation to users was not sent out at the same time.

Marissa Mayer, Google's VP of search products and user experience, wrote on her company blog that many people thought Google had permanently changed its homepage. They didn't much like that and said so in no uncertain terms, apparently.

It no workie anymore on my google. Maybe cntrl + F5 unless you like it LOL

I like it now I can never clear my cookies. LOL -- I'm sure Grease Monkey will have something up sooner or later tho.

I haven't noticed that. Anyway I do not need any background images. I need speedy search not an image background.

Back