What's new

**** there goes my modem!

carntheroos4eva

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
That's what happened earlier today. My modem had decided to lose it's details and **** up totally on me.
Spent time today getting advice from my ISP and now we are back on air.
I had recently done a few updates and apparently that had knocked my details from my modem. So I couldn't get online.

For some reason, I read the title and thought of a dial up modem. But for me, reseting the modem and router will almost always fix my problem, unless it's a problem with my ISP which fortunately isn't too often.

Yeah I tried re-booting it. That didn't work.
had to ring up my ISP and get some help from them.
Found out it had erased all my details and had to go and put them back in and save the settings.
It's now purring like a kitten which is great.

Good deal
For future reference, you can reset it yourself with
/ipconfig /release than /refresh

Ur modem doesn't remember anything when it is turned off.
Unless u have static ip, what's there to remember?
They prob reset the line for you and gave you some b/s.

A modem does usually remember the ISP's connection information and a lot more.

A modem does usually remember the ISP's connection information and a lot more.
You are right. But my problem was that some idiot tried to hack into my modem's settings to take me offline.

I think both of you guys are confusing a router with a modem. We are not talking about a modem with a built in router.

Any DSL modem, router included or not, stores the information needed to connect to the ISP. I haven't seen isolated DSL modems for some years now.

Nowadays, there's NAT/firewall, router and modem combos. Of course it's essential to configure them properly. The instruction manual that comes with those devices can help.

The firmware of these devices is often flaky, so powering them off and back on often works wonders (it takes some time to reconnect, which is usually observable using the device's LED indicator lights).

Any DSL modem, router included or not, stores the information needed to connect to the ISP. I haven't seen isolated DSL modems for some years now.

Nowadays, there's NAT/firewall, router and modem combos. Of course it's essential to configure them properly. The instruction manual that comes with those devices can help.

The firmware of these devices is often flaky, so powering them off and back on often works wonders (it takes some time to reconnect, which is usually observable using the device's LED indicator lights).

Hmm, not sure what you mean Monster. You are probably right. But, sometimes, it does the trick when the ISP resets your line as well. It's worked for me and a few friends more often than not. I just got a Verizon DSL/router modem combo a few weeks ago. It did not have what I need, so I had to shut down the router portion of the DSL modem and bridge the modem to my router which I already had set up with all my computers and printers in my house. I don't remember if I had to enter anything into the modem though (like the IP, subnet, dns servers, etc). I have a LAN in my house. So, my modem basically sends data. I also have a static IP. I need it to remote in (you can do it with dyndns but I rather just pay them the extra $10/month.) Anyway, I needed the name server and IP addy from my ISP so I could configure my router to work with my connection from Verizon. The modem didn't store anything on my set up. The most that it probably contained in my circumstance is that the Mac address was probably configured to be associated with my IP address and location (hence the need for people to tell their ISP to deactivate the modem for their old address when they move if they want to use that modem again in their new address...if they don't they you will not be able to use it b/c your modem's Mac address is still locked to your old address and they will not activate it at your new address).

So, that led me to believe that the modem is pretty much just transmitting data. So maybe I did enter all that info into the modem as well as my router, like you said, but I totally spaced it and cannot remember. Right now, I am more interested in running my own forum on the side. ;) Thanks for an engaging conversation tho. I think we beat the topic to death. The OP doesnt even care anymore. LOL.

There's some protocol that allows remote configuration of a modem from a PC or router. Also, the external MAC (=network) address is usually assigned to the router, not the modem, and some ISPs might be able to simply move your contract including your modem. Depending on how the ISP works, a change in IP address might be necessary however. I'm using DHCP, so I don't know. IIRC, dynamic DNS is usually used inside a LAN to assign names to dynamically generated IP addresses from the DHCP server in the NAT. BTW, every network device has it's own MAC address, because the Ethernet protocol's packet frame uses only MAC addresses, not IP addresses. IP addresses are only used by the IP layer, which sits on top of the Ethernet layer. HTH

p.s.: I don't know how the home network infrastructure looks in the US, I can speak only for Germany. For instance, there might be services that don't use NAT at all (some guy on here said that about ComCast or some other US service). In that case, every device must get its own IP address from the ISP. In that case, the router can be pretty dumb, b/c it only has to forward Ethernet frames. The ISP's DHCP service is used in that case if addresses are to be assigned automatically. In that case, Dynamic DNS remembers names for your local machines relative to some domain name. The modem can be pretty dumb then too, since all it does is muxing/demuxing the DSL on the phone (or cable) line. Even authentication at the ISP need not be necessary if the phone line is entirely known and/or managed by the ISP. In that case, moving would involve reprogramming or exchanging the modem.

Back