What's new

Thoughts?

ennui

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
1_1200521v1_cnn.jpg

that's just weird

That poor kid, this could haunt him for the rest of his life.

Here's my thoughts - (hopefully) every mom does what works out best for them. Them being mom AND child.

If nursing isn't working and formula is given instead, fine.
If nursing is great and formula isn't needed, great.
If it's a little of both, dandy.

now putting a 5 year old on the cover of Time magazine while nursing....That's just unnecessary.

couldn't she have picked a nicer outfit and pair of shoes?

oh and that's gross...coming from someone who breastfed both kids entirely.....

I wish someone would kick that chair and junior would have to bite to hold on....lol

I think at some point extended breastfeeding becomes more about the mom than the kid.

But I will fully admit I don't "get" the attachment parenting people. I have read a lot and the attachment seems to benefit the mom more than the kids.

The point of the photo is to be provocative and is for shock value. IIRC the kid is only 3, not 5.

The USA is far too Victorian when it comes to breastfeeding. It should be advocated for a minimum of one year, preferably two.

"Advocated" always becomes perilously close to "mandated" in American society. We are a country of absolutists. No thanks.

An interesting take on the issue from Erica Jong here.

I breastfed 2 kids until they were around 18 months old and I won't get into comments I got from people about it. I wasn't working. Some people can breastfeed and work, but most can't. So if they want people to do it and do it for awhile, then changes have to be made.

I couldn't do it with 2 of my kids and it was disappointing. Luckily I didn't get any snarky remarks about it.

That's because you realize how long she had to go without booze, right? :giggles:

Nah..........a little beer or wine helps lactation. ;)

I was just coming to see if this was discussed today.

I don't agree with it. JMO

Child is tool old. Again JMO

I am all for doing what is right for the child. But at 3 I find it inappropriate.

I nursed my kids until they were 2 and 16 months (I worked with both). We coslept at least part of the time with both kids until they were about 9 months old.

This cover is just meant to rile people up. A mother nursing a baby over 6 months old gets comments all the time, and god forbid you continue after 12 months, but a mother nursing a 15 month old won't get people to buy your magazine.

Here's my thoughts - (hopefully) every mom does what works out best for them. Them being mom AND child.

If nursing isn't working and formula is given instead, fine.
If nursing is great and formula isn't needed, great.
If it's a little of both, dandy.

now putting a 5 year old on the cover of Time magazine while nursing....That's just unnecessary.

:hesaid:

I remember when I had DD...I knew NOTHING about how to breastfeed...no one came and taught me how to do it...NO ONE told me that I shouldn't take claritin while breastfeeding...There was no real info. on how to do anything...I had a hard time w/my milk coming down...I tried to pump and got very little...I ended up supplementing w/formula...now I know that I should NOT have taken claritin since it interferes w/milk production and honestly past 12 mos. IMO I don't see why breastfeeding would still be necessary. Not trying to upset anyone, just my opinion. Oh and breasts are VERY sexualized in the U.S. If you travel to other countries you will see that many people do NOT view breasts in a sexual way.

If a child is old enough to ask to nurse, never mind climb up on a step stool, wouldn't that be a clue that maybe it's time to let it go?

Sigh, the point of breastfeeding is so that the child gets age appropriate nutrition. USA may be a first world country but there isn't anyone here that can tell me that 100 percent of the children in the USA are getting the nutrition they should at all ages, let alone at nursing ages.

Where and when I was growing up, many children are breastfed till the age they wanted to stop, some mean 5-6 years old, no one thought it was an issues, just saying. :)

By the way, I don't think my mom knew there is such thing called "attachment parenting", but we all slept in the king bed when she was nursing us, and transfered to a toddler bed when another sibling came along, she also wore us on the sling when she need to get work done.

Back