What's new

Time for gun control

The NRA is nothing but a lobbying group for gun makers & sellers. They want folks to buy more & bigger weapons.

They do everything they can to prevent any laws or regulations on the selling or owning of ANY gun, even military type weapons that no non-military or non-police need to own.

They just announced they will throw **** loads of money at any Senator or Congressman/woman who will vote against any limitations on buying or selling of any weapon.

I'll say it again, **** them.

ANYONE want to guess why the Aurora theater shooter didn't attack the crowd with a car?

probably....less effective is my guess.

If guns on the street are such a GREAT idea....why do police stations and cities do things like gun buy backs in an attempt to get them back?

Seems even POLICE think LESS guns is better than MORE.

Course, what do the police know about public safety?

Why do we keep dragging pot into this? Pots been legal in Colorado for what a month now? Can't say as I've read any stores about pot related murders in the last month...what are we up to on stories of guns killing/wounding kids in the past month? Or week? or day?

Take a good hard look at the pharmacological effects of a lot of legal drugs and compare them to the effects of pot...know why so many mentally ill people self medicate with pot? Because it works in much the same way as the "legal" drugs, and yet is more affordable and accessible.

High people aren't motivated to walk outside.....killing spree would probably be too much effort.

LOL

yeah...and we have LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of rules and laws regarding car usage.

Why not LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of rules and laws regarding guns?!?!?!!?

i LOVE this argument. EXACTLY

and i really am sick to death of the frickin drunk driving angle. LOTS of ways people kill people...can we focus on the INTENT of the frickin gun for crying out loud? really...i swear to @$!*&^% ... the more i hear that being brought up to somehow DEFEND the use of these WEAPONS i want to SCREAM:ranting:

There are LOTS of laws for getting guns legally. Maybe people don't drive cars into buildings to kill people... Planes maybe, but not cars.

There was an interesting email about how the bomber guy killed lots of people in one swoop with fertilizers, etc...but that's not banned.

Just curious...what would stricter gun laws do? We have a gun ban in Chicago, yet kids die daily...so that's not working...by ILLEGALLY purchased or stolen guns.

I don't know the answer...it's just that banning them is not the answer. I wish each gun owner would get a psych eval done.
The Connecticut idiot tried to by guns legally, but was denied..so the system worked. He illegally stole the guns, illegally transported the guns with them illegally loaded, illegally brought them onto school grounds, illegally got into the school, illegally murdered innocent young lives.

I think I should have the right to own firearms. To kill an intruder or to go animal hunting. I would be a law abiding citizen.
If someone wants to kill, they will find a way. YES I think it should be difficult to own a gun...and YES I think that machine type guns not be available. But Y'all sound extreme and crazy.

What's extreme and crazy is that it came out in court this week that that FREAK in Colorado amassed all of those guns and ammo in TWO MONTHS time. Your gun system is BROKEN that a person can amass that much stuff LEGALLY in two months time!

If I buy Sudafed at two pharmacies the government knows about it because of the database and they can't figure out how to keep something like that from happening? The priorities are a little messed up no?

What's extreme and crazy is that it came out in court this week that that FREAK in Colorado amassed all of those guns and ammo in TWO MONTHS time. Your gun system is BROKEN that a person can amass that much stuff LEGALLY in two months time!

If I buy Sudafed at two pharmacies the government knows about it because of the database and they can't figure out how to keep something like that from happening? The priorities are a little messed up no?

Completely agree with you on this. He got the guns and ammo legally. That IS a flaw in the system. That is true...
most of the other killings/shooting were not legally owned. Connecticut...from the info i have read, seen, etc...everything was done right. The killer was the one who did EVERYTHING illegally. How do you stop someone like that?

And I only brought up the other topics because I am more likely to be killed by someone who is high or drunk than a shooter. And drugs and alcohol are obtained illegally too.
So yes, it relates.

Actually, I don't even know why I am bothering to argue. LOL. I know it's a round and round endless circle.

Completely agree with you on this. He got the guns and ammo legally. That IS a flaw in the system. That is true...
most of the other killings/shooting were not legally owned. Connecticut...from the info i have read, seen, etc...everything was done right. The killer was the one who did EVERYTHING illegally. How do you stop someone like that?

You go a step further...which you are against.

His mother was responsible for her son with known mental issues. Sorry...he lived with her. She shouldn't have been able to have that cache of weapons in their house either.

And I only brought up the other topics because I am more likely to be killed by someone who is high or drunk than a shooter. And drugs and alcohol are obtained illegally too.
So yes, it relates.

Actually, I don't even know why I am bothering to argue. LOL. I know it's a round and round endless circle.

LOL. On THIS we can agree!!!:dance::dance::dance::dance:

I'm not against stricter ways of obtaining guns/ammo. I'm against banning. I agree that the Colorado guy got them too easy. I don't think you should be allowed to buy knives, guns, swords, ammo, via internet.

I'm not going against what I believe.
That's an interesting thought too...So if you have a mental/imbalanced person living in your home, you surrender weapons or are denied? Interesting thought (I'm not being sarcastic either)

I'm not against stricter ways of obtaining guns/ammo. I'm against banning. I agree that the Colorado guy got them too easy. I don't think you should be allowed to buy knives, guns, swords, ammo, via internet.

I'm not going against what I believe.
That's an interesting thought too...So if you have a mental/imbalanced person living in your home, you surrender weapons or are denied? Interesting thought (I'm not being sarcastic either)

While I believe in the right to bare arms, I do not believe my "right" to a Glock supersedes the need for me to have common sense....my DS18 has issues, not a secret....would I have a gun in my house (even under lock and key) for that reason? NOPE...

Having the "right" to do something doesn't mean you should in some cases.

OMG! That is the closest this thread has EVER come to an agreement.

Something to consider...

Gun safety: Put a price on it

By Scot Lehigh | GLOB COLUMNIST JANUARY 11, 2013

Of all the ideas I’ve heard to curb gun violence, one of most intriguing is also one of the least discussed.

It comes my way from a hyper-smart retired Navy commander who calls occasionally with suggestions. His latest: Require gun owners to carry liability insurance for the firearms they own.

Here’s how it would work. Before anyone could buy a gun or ammunition, he or she would have to acquire an insurance policy for it and present proof of that policy to the gun shop, gun-show dealer, or private seller. Current gun owners would also have to carry such insurance.

Such a requirement would quite literally put a premium — a market premium — on sanity and safety.

Consider the mentally disturbed young men who commit so many of these public massacres. What if they or their families had to buy insurance before getting a gun? Some likely wouldn’t even try. But even if they did, it’s hard to imagine a company selling liability insurance — particularly not for a military-style rifle like an AR-15 — to someone so obviously troubled. Yes, yes, gun folks, I know that a determined young killer could use a knife or an ax or a baseball bat instead. But there are crucial differences in degree of lethality, speed of injury infliction, and opportunity for potential victims to fight back or escape.

Such a requirement would also effectively close the gun-show loophole; if potential buyers didn’t have proof of insurance, it would be illegal to sell to them, plain and simple.

Now consider how an insurance requirement could change gun ownership. The more potentially lethal the weapon, the more a liability policy would cost. A hunter who wanted a pump-action shotgun or a lever- or bolt-action rifle — that is, firearms that don’t reload automatically after the trigger is pulled — would pay only a nominal fee. A traditional semi-automatic big-game rifle — a .308 or a .30-06 or a .30-30, say — with a limited magazine might cost just a little more to insure.

But if you want or own a military-style semi-automatic with features like a pistol grip, which lets you spray fire from waist-level; a collapsible stock, which makes a weapon easier to conceal; or a high-capacity detachable magazine, well, insuring one of those would be far more expensive. That expense would not only discourage ownership of those types of weapons; it would also be a disincentive to accumulating an arsenal of guns.

To meet an objection before it’s made, this would hardly be a big imposition on sportsmen. Many states already limit the magazine capacity for hunters, usually to three shells for shotguns and five or six cartridges for rifles. Further, real hunters know that you usually don’t get more than one or two shots at a deer or elk or other game animal anyway.

An insurance requirement would also lead to more effective storage of guns and ammunition.

Some states already have safe gun-and-ammo storage laws. But since we don’t, and aren’t about to have government inspectors going into individuals’ homes, those laws are largely unenforceable. In contrast, an insurer would likely want proof that you have a trigger lock or gun safe or a lockbox for ammunition; the safer that storage, the bigger break you would get on your rates.

All told, then, such a requirement would use the mechanism of insurance to create incentives for safe, responsible, lower-risk gun ownership.

There are obviously issues that would have to be worked out. For example, such a requirement would conflict with the notion that any checks or preconditions for gun ownership must be instantaneous, for the gun buyer’s convenience. But why should that notion trump public safety?

Nor would an insurance requirement be a stand-alone cure-all. Rather, it should be one part of a larger gun-policy package.

It’s probably too reasonable an idea for those uncompromising types who insist, contra the Supreme Court, that the right to own a gun is absolute and simply can’t be qualified or conditioned in any way. But as policy makers look for smart, practical ways to reduce gun violence, such a sensible marriage of right and responsibility should be on their radar screen.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/editoria...xPFXaboIGxe02RbrJ/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

Most states require liability insurance for cars, so why not guns?

Something to consider...

Most states require liability insurance for cars, so why not guns?

What does "shall not be infringed" , "illegal search and seizure" mean to you? The very guns owed by the populace is the insurance the founders of our constitution intended!
History clearly demonstrates tyrannical governments always first disarms its
Future slaves.

On the other hand criminals do not obey laws so they would never buy insurance. Visit traffic court and discover the scores of uninsured drivers. Would you like to purchase uninsured gun insurance just like you purchase uninsured drivers insurance. I bet the insurance companies could dream up a profitable product!

An overwhelming majority of gun owners decry these tragedies and would likely intervene if present. On nation must focus safety. Why are people satisfied firearm protecting only the children of certain officials? Many elected officials protect their families with every conceivable firearm available. Why are their children more important than yours and mine. We have five children. Ours (and yours too) are just as important as any of the elected officials, police officers, wardens, and the short list of designees included in the bills contemplated!

Several years ago I visited Israel. Many of the places we toured there were school children present. I noticed that with every class and every school bus there was an armed guard. This government was so determined that their children were so important that one would first have to defeat the guard. Both the government and citizens of Israel backed their intentions with action towards the criminals and not those obeying the law!

So many of you are loving and caring parents and law abiding citizens. We are at least accustom with armed security guards protecting banks, store deposits and other material goods. Our children are far more important than a few thousands of dollars and trinkets. Criminals will never surrender wrong doing.

http://townhall.com/video/old-video-of-eric-holder-shows-his-anti-gun-stance

MHO

Back