What's new

Tipping....is it optional?

Anneburn

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
So I commented on a funny pic on pinterest. It shows a pic of a receipt with the total amount $26.86, the total given $30 and the tip written as "pi". People were commenting on what a ****ty tip it was and I said maybe it was bad service. Then all hell broke loose :lol: Do you think tip is optional or should you tip even if the service is crappy?

Optional. Crappy...really crappy service is no tip or a blatant low insulting tip.

IMO tipping is NOT optional unless your server was Sat. Night Live horrible. If it was just no personality, but you got your food order in a timely manner and correct then pay the person at least 15%.

I'm not talking no personality..I'm talking strictly service.

We rarely eat out, but I always tip at least 15 percent - 20 percent, usually on the high end of that. I used to be a server and I understand some things are outside the server's control. I also know servers make less than minimum wage and 15 percent of their food/drink sales is reported as income to the IRS regardless. SO they're paying taxes on it whether the customer tips it or not.

Also, a server generally has to share his/her tips with the other waitstaff, like the bread person, waterboy, busboy, etc. So if you fail to leave a tip, you're screwing multiple people.

If the service is terribly lousy, take it up with the manager. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to go out to eat.

ETA: Yes a good part of the tip is how you like the server, keep in mind that servers do not even get minimum wage. You go to a restaurant to be served because you want to be served. If this person physically took your order and brought your food and bev to you then he/ she should at least earn minimum wage.

And when you go into a restaurant, you KNOW that tipping "required". Just like how I always tip the pizza delivery guy............sometimes I don't wanna do that so I go pick it up.

If you're too cheap and lazy to tip then keep your cheap **** home!!!:ranting:

Tipping is an acronym for "to insure proper service" and is also called a gratuity for a reason. If you want a good tip, give good service. It's as easy as that. Now granted, everyone has an off day but if you don't want to serve the public, find a different job.

Btw...I typically tip 20%, may tip a bit less if the service was crappy.

Tipping is an acronym for "to insure proper service" and is also called a gratuity for a reason. If you want a good tip, give good service. It's as easy as that. Now granted, everyone has an off day but if you don't want to serve the public, find a different job.

Btw...I typically tip 20%, may tip a bit less if the service was crappy.

That acronym is very passet (?). Again servers deserve min. wage for just showing up and serving the food. Obviously if he/ she is horrible, it won't take long for them to be fired.

I was a waitress for many years. There was countless times that I was beyond fab and often for huge parties and got a bucket of **** for a tip. :fart:

That acronym is very passet (?). Again servers deserve min. wage for just showing up and serving the food. Obviously if he/ she is horrible, it won't take long for them to be fired.

I was a waitress for many years. There was countless times that I was beyond fab and often for huge parties and got a bucket of **** for a tip. :fart:

Why didn't you put the auto tip on? most places allow tables of 6 or more to auto gratuitity (15%) the bill.

For actual sitdown food service I don't feel that it is optional. The range will vary according to the quality of service. I generally leave around 20 percent. That can go up as high as 50 if the service is exceptional.
In the event of truly awful service--and by this I don't mean "nothing to write home about", but rather SOMETHING to write home about, and tell everyone you know and seek out the management--I have gone as low as 10, but I can count on one hand the number of times that I have encountered sitdown food service that warranted less than 15 percent.

Now on the other hand this supposed obligation to give a dollar to the guy who made your latte which you didn't even consume on the premises drives me nuts--and I used to manage a Seattles Best.

It's not an entitlement...if it was it would be included in the bill.

Why didn't you put the auto tip on? most places allow tables of 6 or more to auto gratuitity (15%) the bill.

Nothing to do with your quote...

I love your avatar and quotes in your siggy! I gave up swearing for lent! It's brutal. As soon as lent is over, ill be dropping the f - bomb like students drop pencils in my class! I NEED to swear!!!

Do you all tip at buffets where you get your own food and all they do is bring drinks and clear dishes?

I tend to start at a base of a dollar a person for buffet service and adjust it up for quality and difficulty of service. I've tipped a lot more--occasionally you hit a buffet server who is really on it (or a REALLY expensive buffet), but never less.

It's not an entitlement...if it was it would be included in the bill.

I'm soooooo with you!

Now I think I've left one crappy tip for crappy service. It was the waitress and nothing else. Otherwise we start at 20 % and go down from there.

I can just see ya... leaving the steps from the church Easter Sunday morning. f-f-f-f-f for f-ity's sake!! :roll:

If you eat out and get served, you have to tip. Waitresses make $2.86 an hour or something like that here. Even if the service is bad, you should leave 10 percent. If you can't afford to tip, stay home or get take out.

For a buffet, a dollar or so per person is good.

I never worked as a waitress but I did work in retail and I never could have a bad day with my customers...I always had to be "on." I don't think this generation understands that.

Back