What's new

Tragic youth baseball injury

Kathy is there a link to the story? I searched but didn't find one.

So sad. Prayers being said for all involved. DD16 told me about his passing this morning. I guess all the kids at the HS (and other schools??) will be wearing blue in his memory today.

Oh, if only a rewind button could be pushed and the proper gear put on.

My friend posted about this on FB. This kid was on her sons baseball team. So sad

Parents, please if your children play sports, MAKE SURE they are wearing the proper equipment, even when warming up.

A 12 year old boy from a local Oswego travel baseball team was warming up a pitcher last night, and he was not wearing a catchers mask. He was hit in the throat with the ball, his carotid artery collapsed, and he was airlifted to Lutheran General. He is in a medically induced coma and his prognosis is unknown. Clearly this is very bad.

Remind your children PROPER EQUIPMENT, EVERY TIME! One fleeting second of "Aaw, I don't need that" can mean your life.

Pray for him. He is still alive.

:(

Edit: This boy passed this evening (Thursday)

My oldest boy is 12..............I just can't imagine. :cry1:

Do you know what happened there? :pout:

The coroner still has no answers. i talked to his mother the other day and she was so pissed at herself . He came. home from school, said he didn't feel well. She gave him orange juice. Mom and sisters packed up car for cheer competition
3 hrs away, and she got the horrible call in the morning.A coach drove them back, but it must have been the longest ride ever.

such a sad, terrible loss. i just cant imagine. ive seen many injuries happen and each one is frightening. i feel for the parents, players, coaches...so unbearable.

I thought about this last night all night after reading this. My heart breaks for this family. My son is 10, and a catcher on his team. Sometimes I just want to put all my kids in a bubble. :(

horrible, simply horrible. i am sure the pitcher peels dreadful

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...eing-hit-by-baseball-20120413,0,5245538.story

A 12-year-old Oswego boy, described as a "ray of sunshine" by a neighbor, died after he was hit by a ball while practicing before a traveling league baseball game in Wheaton this week, officials say.

Eric Lederman, of Oswego, was playing catch with another player on Wednesday when the ball hit his neck, according to Kristine Liptrot, spokeswoman for Oswego Community Unit School District 308, where Eric was a sixth-grader.

Eric was taken to Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove, then transferred to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, where he was pronounced dead at 8:04 p.m. Thursday, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Eric was playing on the Oswego Panthers traveling team, officials said. Counselors were being made available at Thompson Junior High School, where Eric attended classes and where his mother works. Eric was a member of the school's wrestling team.

"The entire Thompson community is saddened to learn of the sudden death of a Thompson sixth grade student," said Principal Tracy Murphy. "The mother of this student is also a member of the Aramark staff at Thompson. We extend our heartfelt sympathy to the family."

In a release from the school, Brian Zacker, the coach of Eric's team, said the 12-year-old had played with the Oswego Baseball & Softball Association in-house league for two years before playing with the organization's traveling team for the last three years. Wearing uniform No. 2, he primarily played catcher, third base, and centerfield.

"He played with an infectious smile and played the game with tremendous passion and heart," Zacker said, remembering that Eric would clap continuously whenever he got on base to distract the pitcher and that he was "the comedian of the team."

"Whether we lost 2-1 or 20-1, he would always say something in our post-game huddle that would make us laugh," Zacker said. "He brought a tremendous amount of joy, passion, and love to his team, coaches, and baseball family and we will never forget him. He may have been No. 2 in the field, but he will always be No. 1 in our hearts."

Peggy D'Orio, a longtime neighbor of the Ledermans in their quiet Oswego subdivision, described the blond-haired Eric as a "ray of sunshine." Over the years, she has watched Eric, along with his older brother, Danny, and his older sister, Morgan, grow up. It was a common sight to see the three playing baseball in a nearby field, she said.

"They're a very close-knit family," she said.

Eric lived and breathed sports, D'Orio said. When he wasn't at practice or a game, he was outside his house playing baseball or basketball, she said. He and his mother were always coming and going from sports practices and games.

"She gave that child the epitome of a boy's life," she said.

i just learned that the field where this happened is where our younger son plays games. and, his team plays many games w the oswego panthers.

he is a couple years older, though.

it is just so sad

chicagotribune.com
Hundreds turn out for wake of Oswego baseball player

By Joseph Ruzich

Special to the Tribune

7:13 PM CDT, April 18, 2012
Advertisement

They came by the hundreds, many of them youths wearing baseball uniforms.

They somberly filed into the Dieterle Memorial Home in west suburban Montgomery on Wednesday to pay their final respects to a 12-year-old Oswego boy who died last week after he was hit on the head with a baseball in Wheaton.

Eric Lederman was hit April 11 as he played catch with a teammate on his youth baseball team, officials said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said Eric, who passed away April 12 at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, died from a cerebral hemorrhage that resulted from blunt head trauma suffered when he was struck by the baseball. His death was ruled an accident.

Family friend Marilyn Ellefsen, 67, was teary-eyed as she walked to her car from the funeral home. She said that flowers and beautiful photographs of the boy and his family were on display.

“There were a lot of tears,” said Ellefsen. “This was a terrible accident. We are all touched by it.”

Ellefsen believes the incident was a freak accident.

“It just happened,” she said. “How could you stop something like that from occurring? He was just playing catch with his teammate.”

Just one hour into the wake on Wednesday, the funeral home’s parking lot was full, prompting some people to park on residential streets. Some even took a shuttle bus from downtown Montgomery.

Police officials were also out directing traffic along Illinois Route 25 in front of the funeral home.

The funeral for Eric will take place Thursday.

Copyright © 2012, Chicago Tribune

There was an awesome blog in the paper about how Geneva and Oswego kids reacted the next time they had to play. They had an imaginary person go up to bat in respect to when he would have batted--they all wore orange on their uniforms or orange bands--it was a very touching article. Really shows how they showed both teams how to pay respect etc.

Everyone in the league is adding memorial items to their uniforms & helmets. The mom also worked at Baby's school, the entire school family has been very supportive but it's so sad :(

He could have been any of them. There is definitely a renewed focus on player safety.

And if you are praying, please keep the boy he was playing catch with in your heart that he finds the strength and guidance he needs to get over this himself :hug:

There was an awesome blog in the paper about how Geneva and Oswego kids reacted the next time they had to play. They had an imaginary person go up to bat in respect to when he would have batted--they all wore orange on their uniforms or orange bands--it was a very touching article. Really shows how they showed both teams how to pay respect etc.

The day after this happened my nephew who plays travel for kane county--in Geneva played an Oswego team ( i only know this because my father in law went to the game which prompted me to tell him this story)

but my nephew is a year older ( in 7th grade)

Back