What's new

Traveling to FL in march, need advice!

jschwemi

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
DH and I (no kids!) will be heading to FL in march for my cousins wedding. We have not flown anywhere (or been away from the kids for more than 1 night) since our honeymoon. The wedding will be in tampa

We will be needing a car, flight and hotel

(they are suppose to be getting 'group rates' somewhere but no info yet)

So i've been looking at southwest vacation packages. Is this the best way to go? should i book everything seperately? Use a different site?

Any help is appreciated!

I use fly.com to at least find the best airfare - they show prices across airlines. Hope that helps.

I've found costco.com to have the best rental car rates. You have to be a member though. I ended up buying the membership just for the rental car deal and still came out $50 ahead.

Check out Southwest for flight, booking earlier is better.

check travelzoo and bookit.com for hotel deals.

I used Priceline for a car rental and got a lower rate. After it denied my first price, it offered me a rate and it was better than what I was finding.

There could be a groupon deal for a hotel... But if the reception is at a hotel, it might be nice to stay there. Also hotels often have shuttles to/from the airport.

Just looked up and Allegiant Air out of Rockford does fly to Tampa - you might price their tickets. I have never used but a friend of ours only uses it and loves it for Florida. The one downside is that they typically only have one flight per day. The big plus is that you get free parking at the airport she said and it is smaller to navigate and easier.

HTH

I always used Priceline for a rental car when my dad and I flew to Ft. Myers. In 2009 (for a trip to Orlando) I used Priceline exclusively for our hotel(s) and got great deals and also for our rental car. I suspect you could do better than whatever rate the hotel will give you for a "group rate".

I think southwest has some great deals--but then again i dont fly that often--check airtrans, we just flew them to san antonio they had the best rate by far over all the rest. As for car rental I think as long as you stick with a smaller car you can get a great deal--and almost everytime we chose small compact car we we were given something much larger

I usually priceline.com or hotwire.com for cars and hotels. Here are 2 sites i use to determine my bidding price, betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com.

You can usually get cheap car rental rates in florida.

Back