What's new

Truth or Consequences

G

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico (once known as Hot Springs) is one of the oddest names for a city that I happened across on the Net.

The longest name of a place:

Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit
The translation here is pretty much the unabridged history of the city rather than a word.

krungthep mahanakhon

The land of angels, the great city of

amorn rattanakosin

immortality, various of divine gems,

mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp

the great angelic land unconquerable,

noparat rajathanee bureerom

land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital,

udomrajniwes mahasatarn

place of the grand royal palace,

amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit

forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits,

sakatattiya visanukram prasit

predestined and created by the highest divas.

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/name.html

We all live in various parts of the world. What odd names are in your neighborhood?​

In New Brunswick we have Canso; Mechanic, Sunny Corner, Red Bank, Burnt Church and Beaver Dam.​

Newfoundland has some of the funniest:

Come By Chance, Blow Me Down, Jerry's Nose, Lawn and Mosquito - to name a few.

Bragg Creek, Acme, Assumption, Carstairs, Hairy Hill, Keg River, Cereal,and Picture Butte... just to name a few.

Blow Me Down? That's really a name?

Why would they need to give it such a long name?

Blow Me Down is on the map in Newfoundland. Conception Bay is there as well. Newfoundland has so many funny names for their communities.

One from Quebec is hilarious - Saint-Louis-du-Ha-Ha!

How about Ochiichagwebabigoining in Ontario? OR Swastika, Ontario?

As to your question regarding the choice of such a long name, Chris. I suppose they chose it because they could. Dunno! Sorry.

Great names, habit!

Still I think its stupid no one want's to remember that.

I personally would hate being a kid in school learning geography and having to spell that Town... or sending a letter there.

The longest word I remembered was Mississippi. They used a song when we were young to remember it. It still works to this day.

We have a town named Cut-n-Shoot. We also have Shiner, where different labels of Shiner Bock beer was born and still bred in The Spoetzl Brewery, Happy(There was a movie called Happy, Texas and no I didn't see it). Then we have Shamrock where St. Patricks Day is always the biggest day around. We also have our own Paris, Holland, Rainbow, Sunrise and Sunset. Those are only a few of the oddly named cities you can find here.

bad_habit said:
Bragg Creek, Acme, Assumption, Carstairs, Hairy Hill, Keg River, Cereal,and Picture Butte... just to name a few.

Blow Me Down? That's really a name?

HAHA, we have a street here named Butte Creek, you can imagine what it's usually called.

Shamrock sounds nice.

Nova Scotia has Shag Harbor, Ecum Secum (pronounced EEE-**** SEE-****), Garden of Eden and Sissiboo Falls, to name a few.

ANGLOIRISH said:
Shamrock sounds nice.

Nova Scotia has Shag Harbor, Ecum Secum (pronounced EEE-**** SEE-****), Garden of Eden and Sissiboo Falls, to name a few.

Man where do they come up with these weird and sometimes disturbing names?

I am sure there is a history behind every name. I am afraid I am not about to look it up however. Maybe when I have the time but not in the near future. Sorry, Bud!

Its cool, Wikipedia probably has the history on it anyway.

In the Maritimes there are many Native or Aborginal names of communities like Burnt Church, Big Cove and Red Bank. These are reservations.

Here is a headline from Nova Scotia: Chapel Island opens Mi'kmawey Poteletekewey Kina'matno'kuom for grades primary to eight.

For those of you from New York, I have found these funny names:

Bath
Cat Elbow Corner
Climax
Florida
Gayhead
Hicksville
Horseheads
Neversink
Painted Post
Place Corners
Result
Ronkonkoma
Surprise
Yaphank Yonkers

In Texas:

Bacon
Ben Hur
Canadian
China
Cut -n- Shoot
Ding Dong
Earth
Echo
Energy
Flower Mound
Grapevine
Gun Barrel City
Happy
Hoop and Holler
Little Hope
Looneyville
Muleshoe
Noodle
Oatmeal
Pointblank
Quail
Smiley
Spur
Sugar Land
Tarzan
Telegraph
Telephone
Trophy Club
Turkey
Uncertain
Veribest
Waxahachie
Wink

Nebraska:
Colon
Loup City
Roach
Surprise
Wahoo
Weeping Water
Worms

Ronkonkoma

is the name of one of the tribes that we stol.... er bought Long Island from.

ANGLOIRISH said:
For those of you from New York, I have found these funny names:

Bath
Cat Elbow Corner
Climax
Florida
Gayhead
Hicksville
Horseheads
Neversink
Painted Post
Place Corners