What's new

Turkey Bans Google IP Addresses

Monster

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
June 9, 2010 (ibtimes via slashdot) - "Turkey's Telecommunications Presidency said it has banned access to many of Google IP addresses without assigning clear reasons. The statement did not confirm if the ban is temporary or permanent. Google's translation and document sharing sites have also been banned indefinitely along with YouTube and Facebook in the country. Other services such as AppEngine, FeedBurner, Analytics, etc., have also been reportedly banned."

Slashdot article
IBTimes article

If Turkey wants to become a member of the EU, they can't pull off **** like that!! Censorship of freedom of speech doesn't fit into a democratic ecosystem.

That is just stupid. The other EU countries won't be exactly thrilled about this. Turkey's EU membership is going to be hard to achieve anyway and this will just make it worse.
They are putting themselves in a category with Iran and China.

Some comments from the IBTimes article:

"Actually, this article is in accurate. It's only Youtube that has been banned, and there was a clearly stated reason in the local news yesterday: The ban is due to Youtube's refusal to pay taxes in Turkey."

"The article is completely incorrect and full of false information. The current ban is not for Google Services but for only Youtube for not paying taxes. According to law they need to pay taxes over the money they make from Turkish customers. They operate in Turkey as a company, has an office in Istanbul and sell advertising too, but they haven't paid any taxes till today."

"I'm in Istanbul right now, and all of the supposedly newly blocked Google services are working without any problem. (YouTube, of course, actually is blocked, as it has been for a long time. :-( )"

"I'm currently in Turkey and have no problem accessing Facebook. It's used commonly here."

"Along with YouTube and several other Google services, hundreds of other similar video-sharing portals have also been banned for a long time. The irony here is these bans are temporarily being suspended for the visiting foreign politicans and/or international organisations. The politicians of Turkey are aslo allowed to use YouTube etc. while public access is still forbidden."

Weird ... who's right now?? ... if this news item is wrong, then all the better ...

Oh OK, well if that's true, it certainly sheds a completely different light on the situation.

Why would youtube pay taxes in Turkey? I run my websites so they're available in every country. Do I have to pay them all? I don't think so.

You should have read the text more carefully. ;)
They have an office in Istanbul, which is a city in Turkey (the second biggest city in Europe, population-wise by the way).
Also, this is not about running a website, this is about a multi-million $ company.

So - if you had a multi-million dollar company with an office in the biggest city in Turkey, then hell yeah you would have to pay taxes in Turkey.

Sorry about that.. Yes, I was about to ride my bike off, and kinda rushed my reply.. I'm very sorry :D.. They should pay taxes if they have an office, but I wonder what that office brings in.

No probs buddy ;)
I guess if it's enough to get this sort of drastic reaction over taxes, the amount must be big.
But who knows, the info might leak.

You should have read the text more carefully. ;)
They have an office in Istanbul, which is a city in Turkey (the second biggest city in Europe, population-wise by the way).
Also, this is not about running a website, this is about a multi-million $ company.

So - if you had a multi-million dollar company with an office in the biggest city in Turkey, then hell yeah you would have to pay taxes in Turkey.
youtube has viewers world wide. it is very hard to keep track of viewers from their country. Also, i think youtube has to pay taxes only for income raised from their turkey operations. may be turkey tax regulars don't trust their income resources/logs.

Well if it works everywhere else, it should work in Turkey as well.

Blocking the IPs - virtually like shutting down the company in your country - is a drastic step. So some things must have happened first. I doubt it's just a case of distrust. It must be more.

China, Pakistan and now Turkey. Whats happening why is everyone behind google ?

Back