What's new

Unzip files keeping directory and folder structure?

Diafel

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I want to unzip all my files, but I have a "little" problem.
My folders and files aare structured like this:

D:\Karaoke1\CB\CB8518 07\CB8518 07-01 - Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine.zip

I want to be able to do it in one fell swoop and keep the folder and directory structure without having to go into each folder and unzip and then delete the originals. As you can guess, that would take forever!
I would like the end result to look like this:

D:\Karaoke1\CB\CB8518 07\CB8518 07-01 - Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine.mp3
D:\Karaoke1\CB\CB8518 07\CB8518 07-01 - Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine.cdg

Is there a simple program to use or an easy way to do this?
Thanks!

PowerKaraoke has an option to keep folder structure and delete original in it's converter that is part of CD+G burner. It also will do folders in bulk.

DannyGKaraoke said:
PowerKaraoke has an option to keep folder structure and delete original in it's converter that is part of CD+G burner. It also will do folders in bulk.

Really? Wow. And I actually have PowerCDG. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Turns out i had a really old version of it, but I upgraded and it's working now. Will probably take awhile, but it sure saves a lot of extra work. Thanks, again!

I was going to suggest MP3+G Toolz which will do it or for a more powerful file renaming tool Latshaw's Karaoke File Manager can not only unzip but if you have renamed your zip file without renaming the files within the zip it can rename them for you without haveing to unzip rename and re-zip files.

Well I may turn to those yet, since it seems the Power cdg Burner is slllloooowwwww.

Diafel said:
Well I may turn to those yet, since it seems the Power cdg Burner is slllloooowwwww.

Well it took 1 days for my computer to unzip my 9000 or so files

jokerswild said:
Well it took 1 days for my computer to unzip my 9000 or so files

Using Power CDG? I'm starting over and switching to MP3+G Toolz. I've had a few errors with Power CDG, anyway. Now I hope the other stuff on it makes the upgrade worthwhile..

MP3+G Toolz seems to be way faster. I just started about 10 minutes ago and I'm already at 3%. It took over 2 hours to get to the same place with Power CDG.

May I ask why you are unzipping?

I'll tell you why I did. It was so that I could use both Karma or alternately VDJ and while karma was fine zipped or not VDJ wouldn't display track names right and the solution was mp3 tagging instead of reading just the file name without drastically changing all the file names. Thisworked great so when I'd primarily DJ'n with a sprinkle of karaoke singers VDJ is my choice when karaoke centric things such as rotation rules simply are nonexistent. Or when karaoke is the featured entertainment karma is it for me and now my files read and work well under both platforms.

I'm unzipping because I have trouble with some files, and there are enough to make me not bother to try and figure out exactly which ones they are and fix them individually. What would happen is that the odd file would crash my system. I narrowed it down to the fact that some files were zipped "funny", I guess. I had the same problem with AutoKDJ and was intending to do it as long ago as before Christmas. I just never had the time and I finally bought myself a new hard drive to be able to do it with.
My first plan was to mass unzip and then rezip, but I figured If I'm going to mass unzip, I might as well just do it and get it done with and not bother to rezip.

Diafel said:
I'm unzipping because I have trouble with some files, and there are enough to make me not bother to try and figure out exactly which ones they are and fix them individually. What would happen is that the odd file would crash my system. I narrowed it down to the fact that some files were zipped "funny", I guess. I had the same problem with AutoKDJ and was intending to do it as long ago as before Christmas. I just never had the time and I finally bought myself a new hard drive to be able to do it with.
My first plan was to mass unzip and then rezip, but I figured If I'm going to mass unzip, I might as well just do it and get it done with and not bother to rezip.

While you're at it you might as well tag the mp3 files.... I used MP3Tag using a file mask that matched my flie names like this to tag them:

DiscID - Artist - Title

%Album% - %Artist% - %Title%

This reads my files: for example SC9224-01 - Some Artist - Some Song.mp3 and tags the mp3 accordingly.... then I just mass tagged the Genre as Karaoke. Now I can import these into any program that plays karaoke and can read mp3 tags.

you might as well mp3gain them to. just select your karaoke folder, set it to 89dB and hit track gain. make them all sound the same loudness.

Paradigm Karaoke said:
you might as well mp3gain them to. just select your karaoke folder, set it to 89dB and hit track gain. make them all sound the same loudness.

With what program?

MP3Gain
this is what i used. it uses math to determine how the human ear actually hears the loudness of each track and using the Fletcher-Munson curves adds a bit of code to metadata MP3 tag that tells the player to turn this up 2dB or turn this one down 5dB etc. they are not actually the same volume like peak normalization does, but they SOUND the same volume. eg. big band stuff sounds louder than say Poison. big band has more midrange where Metal has a more "scooped" midrange. this is why even when the meter shows the same level between the two songs, the big band has to be pulled back or the metal needs to be boosted to "sound right". MP3Gain is the only thing i do miss by not using MP3's.

Thanks, but my biggest concern is will it "flatten" the sound? I still like some things to stand out, as they should. I've found in the past that doing something like this tends to flatten everything out and nothing stands out anymore.

Diafel said:
Thanks, but my biggest concern is will it "flatten" the sound? I still like some things to stand out, as they should. I've found in the past that doing something like this tends to flatten everything out and nothing stands out anymore.

it doesn't flatten or make the entire song the same level... it simply sets the peak db higher or lower based on the baseline db you set in the program. It doesn't alter or recode the mp3 but just puts a tag that tells music software how to handle gain settings.... the dynamics are maintained and un-altered.

jokerswild said:
it doesn't flatten or make the entire song the same level... it simply sets the peak db higher or lower based on the baseline db you set in the program. It doesn't alter or recode the mp3 but just puts a tag that tells music software how to handle gain settings.... the dynamics are maintained and un-altered.

Using MP3Gain, Joker? Or do you use something else?

Joker is correct about MP3Gain. it is not a compressor, dynamics are left unaffected. actually, the entire file is unaffected. the adjustment by MP3Gain is only written to the tag so it is 100% non destructive and reversible. the file will still have those points that "stand out", the affect it has is basically telling whatever player you use to turn the volume up or down a certain number for each track as needed. try a few at home yourself and if you do not like the results you can always undo it.

Diafel said:
Using MP3Gain, Joker? Or do you use something else?

Mp3gain.... I set mine to 92 because I felt the default 89 was too low.

Back