What's new

Want to take the kids to the ocean. Any ideas?

lovetocoupon

Can't wait for the sausage!!
PF Member
Reaction score
I want to take the kids to the ocean next summer. I was thinking Florida. Any ideas? I think we want to rent a house. Anyone vacation there?? i am looking for places to stay, things to do. I don't really want to do Disneyland.

I want to take the kids to the ocean next summer. I was thinking Florida. Any ideas? I think we want to rent a house. Anyone vacation there?? i am looking for places to stay, things to do. I don't really want to do Disneyland.

Not many people think of Delaware for the ocean, I love the beach there.
DE Seashore is really nice, going further South toward Maryland gets you into more things to do. Ocean City MD is too commercial for me but there is a Boardwalk and lots of stuff that might be more interesting for kids than just the water. I'd go a little later in the summer so the Atlantic is a little warmer.

I just watched a show yesterday about how shark attacks are on the rise so.......I won't answer. :hides:

we LOVED Myrtle Beach--just touristy enough for lots of things to do--but easy enough to stay away from $$$$ attractions.

Gulf Shores Alabama was nice and cheap. We rented a house across the street from the beach.

Between Myrtle Beach and VA Beach, I like the latter a lot better. The other beaches that I like and didn't cost a lot to enjoy were the beaches in Maine but that may be too far from you.

VA Beach has a boardwalk and the main street parallel to the board walk has a lot of shops and restaurants.

We went to North Myrtle Beach, which is not as congested and busy as Myrtle Beach itself. I found a condo on VRBO and rented there. It was on the 2nd floor and you could walk down the steps, across a bridge on you were on the beach! We mostly just hung out on the beach and that was plenty of fun.

Bethany Beach, DE or Rehobeth Beach, DE. These are great family beaches in small communities and there is no sales tax. :)

I want to do Maine someday. No idea why...just some romantic notion that we need to go there.

I've always felt the same way about Maine and I'm not sure why. Something about the ruggedness of it all or something. We'd probably get there, and I'd be all meh. LOL

I just watched a show yesterday about how shark attacks are on the rise so.......I won't answer. :hides:
Just don't stay in Amity :lol::lol:

But, as you see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are open and people are having a wonderful time. Amity, as you know, means "friendship".

We went to Ocean Isle, NC. and LOVED IT!! We drove from Chicago about a 15 hour drive. It's 45 minutes from Myrtle so you can drive to Myrtle for some of the touristy stuff but it is charming instead of overcrowded and touristy. We stayed at a hotel right on the beach and it was exactly as a beach vacation should be. If I were to do it again I would rent a condo just for a little bit more space!!

The year before we rented a house in Orlando and did Disney and the whole bit, it was wonderful too but the beach was much more laid back!

Well, I had to chime in on this convo. We love South Carolina beaches the best. North Carolina is nice too. Myrtle Beach is way too commercial for my taste but we stay about 30 minutes away so we can still have a bit of the touristy stuff but mostly we stay on the beach ALL day. We rent a beach house but it can be pricey if you stay in an oceanfront house. The best way to get a good deal is to share beach house rental with other friends/family. I asked my kiddos this past summer and they all prefer a vacation at the ocean/beach vs. Disney.

Grayton Beach State Park in FL is awesome! It's $110 a night and you stay in very nice cabins. They are fully furnished, etc. They have 2 beds and a futon, so they sleep 6. You are very close to their private beach and there is a curfew and no alcohol-great for kids! It's very close to Destin, so there is tons to do! We spent our days just laying on the beaches further from the resorts because they were empty. I mean empty. When DD is older we will for sure be going back!

Back