What's new

Websites for wheat free diets

T

Tracey

It looks like I may need to eliminate wheat from my toddlers diet to rule out an allergy. I did some general searching on the web, but I am not coming up with a solid site for advice, recipes, etc. for a wheat free diet. I thought someone on here might have some experience with this, because as you know nearly everything contains some sort of wheat!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

I have no advice about that but I do know that MUM's little man has allergies or something so she posts coupons/deals for gluten free (I think it's on Fridays??).

Sorry to hear that though!! :(

I have no advice about that but I do know that MUM's little man has allergies or something so she posts coupons/deals for gluten free (I think it's on Fridays??).

Sorry to hear that though!! :(

I was going to say the same thing. She just recently went to an expo on gluten free foods with her DS.

I started eating gluten free (No wheat, barley or rye products) last week after dealing with a few months of some stomach issues. I have gone from having stomach pain that lasted from 3-5 hours almost every day to not one minute of stomach pain since starting this diet.

I haven't really found any really found any incredible websites yet but I've been doing LOTS of reading, researching, checking product ingredients and just pulling bits and pieces from different places after googling.

The easiest thing for me has been to stick to fresh fruits and veggies, and some cheese. Boring, I know but it works well with my low calorie diet. I have purchased some GF bread and crackers. Meh, they are okay but expensive. Not really going crazy buying a lot of specifically GF products until I actually get some sort of diagnosis. I have an appointment on Wednesday with the GI.

Hope you have some luck with improving his symptoms.

Tracey, most of the Chex cereals (except Wheat Chex LOL) are gluten free.

Great Harvest bread makes pretty awesome gluten-free bread.

Search for "celiac disease," there are hundreds of websites & recipe share sites. My dad has celiac disease.

Caputos has a large gluten free section. Bob's Red Mill (brand) has many mixes. There is a large gluten-free section of prepared things at Meijer (by the Rice Milk/baking mixes). Whole Foods of course has a large selection.

My dad has replaced bread items with potatoes. There are large selections of gluten free pasta. For lesser expense, check the Asian grocery stores (H Mart etc), they have LOTS of rice pastas to choose from. The ingredient list can be challenging (mostly printed in Chinese or Japanese) but in general if the noodle is clear in color it is probably wheat-free.

Thanks! I am usually good at finding information on the web, but I guess this isn't an subject that has everything in one place!

We only need to do this for a couple of weeks, so I might just hit a health food store and pick up a few things. The thing is we are eliminating foods that cause the most common allergies: dairy, shellfish, wheat, etc. and that really doesn't leave a lot of choices!

Trader Joes will probably be the cheapest option with the best selection if you are only doing elimination for a short while.

Thanks! I am usually good at finding information on the web, but I guess this isn't an subject that has everything in one place!

We only need to do this for a couple of weeks, so I might just hit a health food store and pick up a few things. The thing is we are eliminating foods that cause the most common allergies: dairy, shellfish, wheat, etc. and that really doesn't leave a lot of choices!

My niece went through the elimination diet in order to find out what she was allergic to. I remember that she eliminated bread one week, cereal the next week, and so on. As it turned out, she was allergic to chocolate, cereal, citrus and peanut butter. The good news is that she wasn't allergic to these food once she reached puberty. Good luck!

My niece went through the elimination diet in order to find out what she was allergic to. I remember that she eliminated bread one week, cereal the next week, and so on. As it turned out, she was allergic to chocolate, cereal, citrus and peanut butter. The good news is that she wasn't allergic to these food once she reached puberty. Good luck!

CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!

Oh my God I'd ask for death.

CHOCOLATE AND PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!

Oh my God I'd ask for death.

She was a nice little girl, so she really didn't complain much. She knew that if she ate those food, she would feel miserable with rashes all over her upper body. The good news is that she survived. Now she is free to eat whatever she likes.

Yes, chocolate was another one we eliminated.

They did tell us he would grow out of it whatever it is. It's a shame no one can give us any answers. This has been going one since maybe October of last year.

Most of the common allergy foods irritate my reflux (dairy, wheat), so I have started making most meals with lots of veggies & a little bit of meat (chicken salad, etc.). Quinoa is a good grain alternative, since it is easy/fast to prepare, and is filling. Fruits make good snacks. Oatmeal is good for breakfast. When you try to replace one wheat thing for it's gluten free counterpart (like bread, crackers) you end up spending a lot more, and it gets complicated. Just try to stick to basics (veggies, fruit, meat, rice), and it won't be so hard.

Most of the common allergy foods irritate my reflux (dairy, wheat), so I have started making most meals with lots of veggies & a little bit of meat (chicken salad, etc.). Quinoa is a good grain alternative, since it is easy/fast to prepare, and is filling. Fruits make good snacks. Oatmeal is good for breakfast. When you try to replace one wheat thing for it's gluten free counterpart (like bread, crackers) you end up spending a lot more, and it gets complicated. Just try to stick to basics (veggies, fruit, meat, rice), and it won't be so hard.

I have some Quinoa. Have any quick and easy recipes to share or is it good on it's own?

Yes, my son eats dairy free and mostly wheat free now.

As long as they said eliminate wheat and not all gluten, you have more options. If it's just wheat, then everything gluten free is OK, but he can also eat some other stuff. Like my guy can eat regular rice krispies, and I've been buying the $1.50 german pumpernickel breads at ALDI and rice cakes from Trader Joe's that are not gluten free but are wheat free. We do a lot of potatoes, and if you're going dairy free too watch the margarines -- some (like best life buttery spread) are dairy free but many are not.

I do a "crunchy friday" roundup each week that links to organic/natural/allergen free deals and coupons. Here's a link to posts tagged gluten free, that include crunchy friday, some recipes, etc: http://www.mashupmom.com/category/gluten-free/

Two blogs are Organic Deals and Healthy Life. There is a magazine called Living Without. In the Niles area there is Super H mart on Oakton past Harlem and Assisi on Milwaukee just north of Dempster. Asian or Indian Markets are a good source for alternative flour , rice noodles, crackers, etc.

And you'll find a lot more searching gluten free than wheat free. Here are a few blogs:

Food Allergies on a Budget: http://www.foodallergiesonabudget.com/
Gluten Free Couponing: http://glutenfreecouponing.com/
Gluten Freely Frugal: http://www.glutenfreelyfrugal.com/

Super, thanks for the sites. And the pediatrician just said, wheat. Thanks!

If you have a Kindle or Kindle on your PC I can loan you this title:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00713JFDW/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Delicious and Nutritious Gluten-Free Dinner Recipes: Affordable, Easy and Tasty Meals You Will Love (Bestselling Gluten-Free Recipes)

Just PM me your email address

Great, thanks!

There is also a really good health food store I believe on County Farm and Geneva? or Rosevelt? rd. in Winfield. You go south of the intersection and in the 7-11 plaza you'll find it. They have alot of free magazines and a library of books to sell.

I have some Quinoa. Have any quick and easy recipes to share or is it good on it's own?
It's very bland tasting, so it takes on the taste of whatever it's with. I like it on it's own when I make it using broth, but if I use water, I need more flavor. My family likes quinoa salad... same stuff that goes in a pasta salad, but use quinoa instead of the pasta.

Back