What's new

What exactly is Curling, and do you watch it?

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Curling is a team sport in which stones are slid across a sheet of carefully prepared ice towards a target area. It is related to bowls, boule and shuffleboard.

Two teams, each of four players, take turns sliding heavy, polished blue hone granite stones across the ice curling sheet towards the house, a circular target marked on the ice. Each team has eight stones. The purpose is to accumulate the highest score for a game, points being scored for the stones resting closest to the centre of the house at the conclusion of each end. An end is completed when both teams have thrown all of their stones. A game may consist of ten or eight ends. The throwing technique can induce a curved path, which may be further influenced by two sweepers with brooms who accompany the stone as it slides. A great deal of strategy and teamwork goes into determining the ideal path.

Attachments

• Brier_045.jpg
    Brier_045.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 11
The match I saw was USA vs. Canada I think... we got our butts kicked. But it is kinda fun and cool to watch. Not sure how the sweepers keep their footing on that ice, but it'd be fun to play imo.

I think I saw that match too, we got stomped.
I'd be falling all over the place, knocking the rocks around..lol

Too bad we couldn't set up a curling lane and play. Although i'll admit, I never heard of the sport until a week or so ago. I feel so outdated. LOL. :D

What are the sweepers supposed to be doing?

I don't get the point of it all. I'd feel like a retard sweeping the ice like that.:p

I think I saw that match too, we got stomped.
I'd be falling all over the place, knocking the rocks around..lol

OMG you like to watch curling? You do realise that it's a sign of old Brandon =P You may as well go the whole hog and buy some checkered slippers and a walking stick >.>

It's interesting
btw, now you can play on the WII :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS8bDgd3-VA]YouTube - Wii "Curling"[/video]

Back