What's new

What is Love?

MattWlkr

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Just a question thats been on my mind.

What does "love" mean to you?

That's a good question. To me, love is a feeling ... sadly, I don't even seem to know anymore what it feels like ... too long ago.

I think that one of the reasons it's so hard for people to answer that question is that there are many kinds of love. There is principled love, like love for what's right or even love for one's enemies, for whom a person may not have affection. There is spiritual love, a deep and abiding and reverent love for God or the benevolent affection of God for his creatures. There is romantic love, which when properly expressed is far more dignified than the movies would have you believe, and there is that love, that deep, warm, personal attachment that one has for a freind, or a parent has for a child. There is also that strong, passionate affection one feels for a person that constitutes the emotional incentive to conjugal union; such as the love between husband and wife. There is even an impersonal love, such as when people love gardening, or love a sunset. So it is no wonder, then, that people find it hard to define.

If I had to define love in general in a simple term, I would use the word "devotion". Love attaches itself to someone or something and is unselfish. It is not passive; it actively works for the good of the loved by the one who loves. You often hear people speak of "toxic love". That's not love. That's selfishness masquerading as love. Real love is as rare and as valuable as one's own life. And, like life, it needs to be cultivated and taken care of, because, like life, love can die.

Man, did I ever get serious there for a couple of minutes...

Real love is as rare and as valuable as one's own life. And, like life, it needs to be cultivated and taken care of, because, like life, love can die.

I felt real love before - for women, but it was always unrequitted. And it died each time. So I died multiple deaths already.

But one love that I had never died, and that was my love for machines, for computers and software ... lol, once I even had a song idea with that theme, the punchline was "they never betray me, they never forsake me, my machines" lol :)

:tv:plus, if they annoy you, you can just turn 'em off!

Exactly!! ;)

My brother often told me "be glad you don't have a woman", but I never was in the situation, and I think it also depends who you're with ...

Gosh, I'm so disillusioned nowadays. I used to be so enthusiastic about everything, and genuinely positive-minded (that I still am, for most parts).

BTW, I'm not turning my computers off when they annoy me ... weird!! TV, on the other hand, I do turn off when I don't like it! ;)

You know, it's funny--it seems that disillusionment is almost a necessary step before eventually gaining wisdom--kinda like a pendulum swinging too far one way, and then too far the other, before coming to rest in a happy middle. Enthusiasm? Delightful, charming, has it's own energy, but not always such a good thing. Positive-minded, now, that's a keeper. As for computers and tvs--well, one just acts stupid and the other thrusts stupid upon you, so it makes sense you leave computers on and turn tvs off.

I think love is simply caring about someone/something more than you care for yourself

Women don't necessarily feel more, it's just more socially acceptable to embrace it, or be vocal about it if you're female. Men can still love to bursting or be just as broken-hearted.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

What Homebody said. Love has many definitions, and it means something different to you as it does to me, as it does to someone else. Other languages have different names for different types of love. It's a term that gets thrown around a lot, which some get upset about, but really, I think there are worse things to say to people. :)

Love is another word for respect. If you feel as though you are respected you are loved by that person or that group of people.
Also Matty you would know if you were in love.

Love is another word for respect. If you feel as though you are respected you are loved by that person or that group of people.
Also Matty you would know if you were in love.

It sort of depends on what kind of love you're defining here. If you are talking about love for friends then yes, respect is enough. But if its the other love for the one special person then I don't think respect itself is enough. It's a special connection with one person who means the most to you so yes, respect is there but it's not the only thing that defines love I think.

I agree, supermario; even some love for friends can go beyond that. It's why I prefer the word "devotion"; a loving, loyal attachment to someone. Even that doesn't cover all bases.

Does love exist when there is loads of money to play with?

Love is a warm feeling you get in your pants and when you check, you haven't pissed yourself. :p

Back