What's new

What is the purpose of backup

Jeff Romard

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
If you aren't allowed to use it?

I'm quoting Jons post from another thread rather than derail that one. The original post wasn't bolded

Jon Tuck said:
this adds a whole new spin to performance
Pasted from the Chartbuster FAQ's

Can I back up my Chartbuster Karaoke discs?

You are allowed to make a single copy of your Chartbuster Karaoke discs for archive purposes only. Please note that this does not entitle you to use those backed-up tracks for any other purpose than as a back-up, including playing, sharing, distribution or performance.
Karaoke shows that use tracks stored to a hard disk drive are doing so in violation of the Chartbuster Karaoke license printed on the original disc. Unless the tracks were purchased as digital downloads and are being played from the original disk onto which they were downloaded, the operator is in violation of the license.

On the surface it does seem confusing and quite rightly open for interpretation that it can never be used for anything, but it does also seem implicit, however tenuously, that this restriction applies to instances where the original is still in existence.

It is very poorly written in that it is far too ambiguous - most likely intentionally to allow them the wiggle room to contest the legality of use when it may be claimed by someone under suspicion using a copy that their original did "get damaged" or "lost" or blah blah blah.

Let's just call it "leaving all their options on the table." :sqlaugh:

Maybe it just makes you feel all warm and gooey inside knowing that you have a backup. :sqwink:

Same difference with the US copyright backup for personal use - If you no longer have the original how do you prove your backup isn't just a pirated copy?

Big Dan said:
Maybe it just makes you feel all warm and gooey inside knowing that you have a backup. :sqwink:

Same difference with the US copyright backup for personal use - If you no longer have the original how do you prove your backup isn't just a pirated copy?

Thats a real good point.

I wonder if you went to court and said these are my backups could you beat the charge. The right court would find it to be reasonable use

Here's how I look at backup (from a software manu standpoint).

My EULA allows a backup for archive purposes, in case of system loss. But I also authorize a backup copy to be run during a gig. As far as I know, I am the only manu that allows that (in the mainstream DJ software biz).

The reason I do so, is because I believe there is a fair chance of computer failure, and I don't think my users should have to pay twice, because some hardware fails.

I have had to tighten things up with V5, because of abuses to that policy, but I still allow it, because I still think it's the right thing to do.

V5 has the Death Star server (I'm a Star Wars fan, so I named it that :) ). The Death Star looks for copies (Rockit has full duplex comm built in), and if it finds multiple copies, it will shut down the entire series, including the original copy.

It's not perfect, but it is working pretty well so far, and my paying customers are happy that they can still actually have a backup :)

Any good places to download Digital Karaoke files?

Im new just wanted to say hi and find out if there are any good places to download karaoke files.

Back