What's new

What kind of dog should we get?

Pinggirl

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have to boys 7 and 11 and one med sized dog, 11 months. I want to get a smaller dog, like a Bichon or some sort of fuzzy, curly mix. What would be a good dog to keep up with the kids and the other dog?

I am not a fan of Bishons. We had one when we were kids. He was MEAN, temperamental and we would walk him A LOT. He would do nothing outside… then come in a pee and poo. Our kitchen floor was his personal piddle pad…. we tried EVERYTHING to train that dog. UGH!

We have what I think is a Yorkie-poo. Hair like a poodle, coloration of a Yorkie. She is about 12 lbs. Kids can't keep up with her, but she hates other dogs. She was a rescue.

What's your zip? We'll start lookin'. :cartwheel:

that's what I was gonna say............ a rescue dog :bliss:

maybe visit out your local shelter..... ya never know..... the right doggie just might pick YOU ! ♥

I know!!

I know of a 15 pounder, tabby colored, long tail. Meows instead of barks. He has the softest fur and he piddles to say I love you! How can you resist? His name is Mic the dog :)

LOVE my rescue (stolen actually ;) ) LOVE my purebred. But my rescue is the smartest thing ever!! She really is a smart smart dog… Beagle/Bassett mix. :)

I know!!

I know of a 15 pounder, tabby colored, long tail. Meows instead of barks. He has the softest fur and he piddles to say I love you! How can you resist? His name is Mic the dog :)

:roll:

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel....
There are 3 out of the 4 color choices in my avatar.

I love my Westie rescue!!

I love my Westie rescue!!

I bet you trained yours. My Mom didn't. She has 3 Westies. They're crazy! They bark at everything and jump like crazy. Their nails hurt! :surrender: Oh and they don't like other dogs.........can't stand those damned dogs.

We have one rescue, and we love him dearly. Problem, it was $400 to adopt him! I keep looking on craigslist, but I think everyone is nuts on there! I want a small pooch, my cuddle dog, but has to keep up with our shepherd/Rott mix.

We have one rescue, and we love him dearly. Problem, it was $400 to adopt him! I keep looking on craigslist, but I think everyone is nuts on there! I want a small pooch, my cuddle dog, but has to keep up with our shepherd/Rott mix.

I'm not a fan of small dogs in general, BUT I met a French bulldog once that was the sweetest lil thing......and very smart.

Cavs are great lap dogs and get along with other dogs well.
My breeder is also involved with cavalier rescue....might be a good option for ya.

that's what I was gonna say............ a rescue dog :bliss:

maybe visit out your local shelter..... ya never know..... the right doggie just might pick YOU ! ♥

That is exactly what happened with my sweet Daphne many years ago. The only dog I had before her was a Yorkie so I thought I was a small dog person. We went to the shelter and told them that's what we were looking for. Not being fools, they told us they weren't sure if they had any small dogs but why didn't we just go back and take a look. :giggles: Well there was this beautiful brindle dog (think swirled Halavah) just looking at us with teh sweetest face. Thus began my love of pitbulls, although she was just referred to as a terrier mix and I don't think we even realized she was a pittie.

Go to your local shelter and see who may be waiting for you. (and don't forget to post pics!) :cartwheel:

Still trying :giggles:

He is a barker, but we are working on it. He only jumps over my head when he is super excited or we are practicing jumping (both involve treats LOL). He does not like other dogs except for one but our neighbors got rid of it :pout:

Are they notorious for not liking other dogs? I thought it was just him because our old neighbor's dog had his way with him before we could stop him :surrender:

I bet you trained yours. My Mom didn't. She has 3 Westies. They're crazy! They bark at everything and jump like crazy. Their nails hurt! :surrender: Oh and they don't like other dogs.........can't stand those damned dogs.

Still trying :giggles:

He is a barker, but we are working on it. He only jumps over my head when he is super excited or we are practicing jumping (both involve treats LOL). He does not like other dogs except for one but our neighbors got rid of it :pout:

Are they notorious for not liking other dogs? I thought it was just him because our old neighbor's dog had his way with him before we could stop him :surrender:

I dunno. :9: The worst has to be the jumping up on people when they come in the house and barking until you're deaf for like 20 min. And my Mom thinks it's cute and gets mad when I push them down. When my youngest son was younger, I had to carry him into the house so they couldn't hurt him and put him on the kitchen counter until they calmed down. He would cry out of fear of them. I've had soooo many nearly bloody scratches on my legs from their jumping. My Mom just stands there. I FINALLY got her to put 2 (males) of her 4 dogs (one is a Yorkie) in their cages when we come over. She thinks I'm cold because I don't like them.

I have to cut our visits short (they live an hour away) because I won't leave Sadie alone for more than 6 hours and I can't bring her because her dogs would attack! My Sadie gurl is the sweetest thing that couldn't care less if she's around dogs.

Brody doesn't jump on people, except when I'm not moving fast enough to take him outside then he goes behind me, jumps up and pushes his front paws into my butt LOL

Even though I know I should be correcting him it cracks me up :lol:

I dunno. :9: The worst has to be the jumping up on people when they come in the house and barking until you're deaf for like 20 min. And my Mom thinks it's cute and gets mad when I push them down. When my youngest son was younger, I had to carry him into the house so they couldn't hurt him and put him on the kitchen counter until they calmed down. He would cry out of fear of them. I've had soooo many nearly bloody scratches on my legs from their jumping. My Mom just stands there. I FINALLY got her to put 2 (males) of her 4 dogs (one is a Yorkie) in their cages when we come over. She thinks I'm cold because I don't like them.

I have to cut our visits short (they live an hour away) because I won't leave Sadie alone for more than 6 hours and I can't bring her because her dogs would attack! My Sadie gurl is the sweetest thing that couldn't care less if she's around dogs.

Cavs are great lap dogs and get along with other dogs well.
My breeder is also involved with cavalier rescue....might be a good option for ya.
They are pretty dogs. I will have to look more into the breed. Any info you can supply would be great.

Back