What's new

What Techniques Do You Use.....

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
.......To get newbies singing?

I took this from one of my posts in another thread.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.....:winkpill:

I usually watch my nonsingers to see who is singing along and then strike up a conversation with them letting them know that this is not american idol and nobody expects the best vocal performance. If you can sing in the shower or car then you can sing at karaoke.

I don't pressure them as I have never liked that being done to me. Anyone who comes in I offer a book and when they decline I tell them I will check back later after they have had a few more drinks. For the ones who say they can't sing, I advise them that if they pay attention, they will notice that it isn't exactly a prerequisite for karaoke. I try to make them laugh. For the most part, those who secretly want to try will eventually pair up with someone and do it--or their friend will invite them to join in on the chorus and they will yell along. That is when the cordless mics come in handy because you can hand them one. Then they get that post bungee jump adrenaline surge or applause addiction and they will progress from there.

The cordless mics also come in handy for those who's main obstacle is just not wanting to get up on stage. We have one really good but shy singer who insists on hiding around a corner when she sings. There are some who can be coaxed into a group song if rotation permits. Anyone ever notice that some of the most reluctant will hog the mic once the music starts?

For the most part, I am not too aggressive about it. If people are just made to feel welcome and comfortable then the transformation will usually take care of itself. For the most part it is their friends who will convince someone to finally get up there more than it will be me whom they would really rather prefer just go away. (Actually blackmail and threats often work, at least on teenagers who will never be the first one to sing--you find some friend to rat out that so and so wants to sing or knows a certain song and you throw the Taylor Swift at them and say who ratted them out and that you are going to make the rat sing, too, for being a rat, etc. Once you get one group up, then they all follow. But I have never tried this on adults..)

The ones I really like are the ones who say, "But I don't know all of the words." It doesn't matter how much you tell them that the words are on the screen--they are still paralyzed by the fear of forgetting them.

If the bar owner is willing, the sing a song for a free drink thing can work well. It gives people the excuse to say that they can't sing but they want the drink. Right now at one place, we are having a sing a song, get a drawing ticket thing going. The prize is 6 drink tokens which is worth singing for.

Well one of my techniques was to sing a song very badly or to pick one that was completely beyond my ability just to prove that karaoke isn't always about singing, but having fun

I also used humor whenever i could

-James

jclaydon said:
Well one of my techniques was to sing a song very badly or to pick one that was completely beyond my ability just to prove that karaoke isn't always about singing, but having fun

I also used humor whenever i could

-James

We share here, JC. I too have purposely crashed songs if there are too many good singer, making newbies more confident- AND use humor as well.

One of my favorite techniques- especially at private parties, is to find the most "relaxed" lady in the crowd ( feel free to sub "buzzed" for "relaxed") and kind of flirt them into singing a duet. Something easy like I've Got You Babe. Then, if said lady id with a gentleman, I kind of hint that the lady thinks that said gentleman might be a candy a$$ ( said much more subtley of course..) if he didn't sing, or that she finds men who sing hot, or some such.... Once the ball is rolling at a private party, it just keeps going

Bars are different, and it's one newbie at a time. Like Lon, I don't believe in pressuring in a bar situation. There it's just a matter of getting to know folks, and getting them comfortable and confident with me..

my favourite line to use when I'm about to deliberately do a bad song is along the lines of "Before I sing, I would like to remind everyone that I do sell earplugs for $5/pair"

Didn't mention this one as I didn't want to offend the Ricky Martin fans, of which I am one. But once I threatened to sing Ricky Martin songs until someone put up a slip and we got several before "La Copa de Vida" was half over.

I find the best way is the group method. Most of the people who come out to our shows we know and when they bring friends along they bring them up with them. It's really nice at our one spot as it's one of those everyone knows everyone without it being stagnant, so everyone always tries to get the newb to sing first, no pressure of course. Then again, there's always Thunder's way or 'You can't work for me unless you sing' (I had vowed to never sing again after a quite painful version of Puff the Magic Dragon when I was 5 years old).

Back