What's new

What to do with clogged bathtub drain?

littlebuffalo

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
The drain in my bathtub is clogged, and the water is draining ever so slow. I use the zip it trying to pull up any hair, but no luck. I also tried baking soda & vinegar. It drains slightly better, but it is still extremely slow. What else should I try? Any advice?

Call Steve. :) He seems to have a gift with this issue.

From Everyday Cheapskate (link)

caveat: I've never tried this personally, but I had just read it so thought I'd share.

SKEWER THE CLOGGED SINK. I have three girls, and their bathroom shower and sink drains get clogged with hair. I got tired of spending money on expensive drain cleaners and discovered this technique by accident: Remove the stopper from the sink drain and carefully insert a long bamboo skewer into the drain. Keeping a grip on the end of it with rubber-gloved hands, rotate the skewer (like turning a screw). The hair in the drain will wind around the rough wood of the skewer.

Draw the skewer up and out of the drain. Close your eyes because you won’t believe what’s on the skewer! Finally, flush the drain with hot water. Pamela, California

ETA: if you click the link for the article, there are more unclogging tips in the comments section of the article.

Go get a plumber's snake, it'll get throuh the clog.

I am not a handy person, so I really don't know all the different terms about plumbing. As far as I know, I will not be able to use the plumber's snake since there is some kind of metal down there. I cannot push the snake down.

Ok...I used this the last time mine clogged....

Enforcer 10 minute hair clog remover.

I let it sit overnight ....for good measure!

One thing to avoid are the 9.99 as seen on tv type things that grab the hair etc. Many people said the thingy that catches hair breaks off inside the drain causing even bigger problems. Have you tried the compressed air type drain uncloggers. They work well on sinks and can use on tubs.

From Everyday Cheapskate (link)

caveat: I've never tried this personally, but I had just read it so thought I'd share.

ETA: if you click the link for the article, there are more unclogging tips in the comments section of the article.

I have a plastic zip it thing which suppose to help me to get the hair out of the drain. Obviously, the hair is much further down that I cannot reach it with this plastic zip it. I don't think that I will try this. I am afraid that I break the skewer which will only make it worse. I do appreciate your suggestion.

I am not a handy person, so I really don't know all the different terms about plumbing. As far as I know, I will not be able to use the plumber's snake since there is some kind of metal down there. I cannot push the snake down.

Your tub drain has a 90 degree turn, that is why...You have to bend it and turn the Snake at the same time.:giggles: NO comments Please!! :giggles: laugh if you will....but it's true.!

Is your home an older or newer home?

I am going to get a plunger tomorrow & I will give this a try. This is simple enough that I can do.:hides:

Sorry but................you don't have a plunger? :dunce:

Good luck on the drain. At our last house we had a bunch of plumbing issues. DH snaked and snaked but eventually we had to call a plumber..............I won't even tell you how much it cost (way north of $500). :surrender:

Your tub drain has a 90 degree turn, that is why you ....have to bend it and turn the snake at the same time. NO comments Please!! :giggles: laugh if you will....but it's true.!

Is your home an older or newer home?

My home is over 40 years old, so it is old. By the way, where did you buy Enforcer 10 minute hair clog remover? I google this product. It seems that Kmart has the smaller size, but Kmart is nowhere near me. Ace Hardware has the 64 oz which is quite pricey. Do you know whether Menard, Home Depot or Lowes carry the smaller one? Thank you for your help!

Back